cynthialee wrote:Crying unfair argument is the sure sign a raw nerve is struck. It seems unfair because there is no defense of the current paradigm.
First, I did not cry.
Second, you and the others have presented many good arguments. It is an ongoing discussion, with many good points.
The reasons and consequences of gender representation, even in such a small genre as 28 mm fantasy miniatures, are an extremely complex subject, so I think this is not a win-or-loose debate anyway, but just poining out different aspects from different points of view.
I objected to only one sentence of yours:
cynthialee wrote:To deny it is an attempt at preserving your male privilege.
You can hardly deny that this is an apodictic statement that leaves no room for the other side to even explain it's view (which doesn't have to be entirely opposed to your one, just different).
Pointing this out can't make any of your real arguments any less valent and is no attempt from my side to do so.
Third, we are not discussing a "current paradigm" here.
We are discussing
miniatures, more exactly: the different representation of genders in miniatures.
Part of this discussinion is the question
if this difference in representation is a sign of some underlying sexist tendence, what you call the "current paradigm".
Denying this does not mean to deny there is sexism in the world (or the fantasy gaming scene) or defending it.
And I didn't even deny that the minis may be a sign of an underlying tendence. If you ask my opinion, I don't think so, but I'm ever open for debate.
Personally, I would have no problem with male miniatures in any of the representations you objected for female ones - be it just nude or otherwise "sexual", be it chained or otherwise subjunctive, or be it just ugly. If I would have any money to spare on my hobbies, I would even buy some of them (but not as much as female ones, for obvious reasons, being a straight male).
I would
like seing women buying such minis. I think most men would like seeing women buying nude male material. It would make women more understandable if they had the same preferences, just with reversed sexes.
But I can't see this coming. Most women would not buy such minis. There are exeptions, of course, but the majority would just not be interested.
Please honestly imagine a world where both fantasy gamers and miniature producers are male and female by equal numbers. Given the develpement of the last 20 years, this is not entirely utopic in the near future. Then imagine "inappropriate" minis would be available for both sexes in equal numbers. Obviousely, some male slaves would be sold. But the mass market for this kind of stuff would still be male consumers buying female minis.
This is probably bacause male sexual instincts are triggered mainly by optical input, while female are triggered by thoughts (obviousely such generalizing statements are never true for all individuals and have statistic value only, but still).