• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

warhammer for kids?

Guests may gather here for General Discussions about almost any Topic. NO BRAWLING!
Forum rules
Certain topics have become known to cause friction among passionate members. We kindly ask that topics relating to these subjects be taken outside the Inn to Websites that specialise in those subjects.

Thus far, these topics are: Recreational Drugs, Religion and Science.

Re: warhammer for kids?

Postby torilen » April 19th, 2015, 9:19 pm

I actually can't believe I found these...!!!

These are toys that I played with as a kid, and loved them. I had megablocks...which are
the fake duplo blocks. They still make them, but they are not made by lego, and the size
is different from duplo.

Anyhow - I played with these with the blocks...I would make forts and hideouts for them.
Your kids might like these, and there might other sets somewhere out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mattel- ... 5d578b888a


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: October 9th, 2009, 4:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: warhammer for kids?

Postby torilen » April 19th, 2015, 9:35 pm

Something else I just thought of - if you DO decide to go with legos (believe, I wouldn't blame you)...
You can always go with Heroica and the other "games" that they make.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ds=heroica

These have a lot of expansions to go with them, and lots of neat figurines and monsters and heroes
and such that the kids should like. The rules are fairly simple, too...could be a prelude to HQ, if
you wanted.

And then you have Lego Monster Hunters.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... er+hunters

These have quite a few nice figurines that go with them. You might be able to find just the figurines themselves -
I would like those, myself, to play with the HQ board...but I can't find them within my price range, usually.
...
...
Let's not forget that Lego also has an entire collection of Hobbit/Lord of the Rings sets. And, if you ever decide to go
Sci-Fi - you'd have to use your hands, your feet, and someone's body parts to count how many Star Wars sets they
have made for Lego.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: October 9th, 2009, 4:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: warhammer for kids?

Postby torilen » April 19th, 2015, 9:53 pm

Again, if you really want to do the lego (and I REALLY wouldn't blame you - think I'm going to lose
some money on this stuff soon - didn't realize they had SO MUCH)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=br ... y&_sacat=0


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: October 9th, 2009, 4:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: warhammer for kids?

Postby knightkrawler » April 20th, 2015, 10:17 am

I'm gonna put it into words right here:
People known to have played with Lego are creative, problem-solving, self-confident, more individualistic.
People known to have played with Playmobil now play with their Smartphones even at the age of 30+
They suck monkey ass.

I tend to ask "Lego or Playmobil" like others ask "Cats or Dogs".
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: warhammer for kids?

Postby Patroclus » April 20th, 2015, 4:30 pm

tasoe wrote:Patroclus, it's far too soon for you to try to introduce them into anything like that. Just lay back and be patient for 3-4 more years.

That’s true, I don’t believe they will start to read the manual and build things, they can’t. This is something I should do. Probably they won’t even play much even if I buy something big and fancy. The fact is that I spend money to b@llshts that when they will grow up will be thrown in the garbage. It’s a pity. In the other hand if I buy something else, like lego, when they will grow up they can use them.

They could do this with scenery from warhammer too. They could use a wizard’s tower as a toy, play for some time but keep it for when they grow. The difference is, and I accept that, that with lego they could play sooner (when they will go 6+ or 8+) and use them for more creative moments.

...I don’t force them to do anything. Even now, I just give them some minis and they start to play without any assistance. You know... as kids do... They pretend that they talk, etc.

torilen wrote:Something else I just thought of - if you DO decide to go with legos (believe, I wouldn't blame you)...
You can always go with Heroica and the other "games" that they make.


Thanks, torilen. Some of the links are what I need. The gothic castles looks great. I will check for lord of the rings though.

About heroica, it could be great for 5+ or 6+, but as a scenery it isn’t useful.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 658
Images: 19
Joined: January 31st, 2011, 9:07 am
Location: Athens, Greece
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: warhammer for kids?

Postby tasoe » April 20th, 2015, 5:28 pm

Found this funny pic somewhere.
Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 697
Joined: September 22nd, 2011, 1:05 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: warhammer for kids?

Postby Goblin-King » April 21st, 2015, 12:03 pm

I had both as a kid and Playmobil didn't get much playtime...
Lego is simply the far superior toy...


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: warhammer for kids?

Postby knightkrawler » April 21st, 2015, 12:59 pm

Goblin-King wrote:I had both as a kid and Playmobil didn't get much playtime...
Lego is simply the far superior toy...


In ascending order of appearance on my carpet:
Playmobil (Western theme only)
Masters of the Universe
Toy cars
Lego

Then came 1987-89. A time of great transition indeed. MotU burned out, Lego got all colorful and unclassic, the Gameboy appeared,
and then there was that game. That boardgame. Whatchamacallit... HeroQuest. There you go.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: warhammer for kids?

Postby Daedalus » May 2nd, 2015, 8:36 pm

Hasbro has entered the arena with Kre-o. Mainly it's Transformers, but there is a D&D line:

Image

Mega Bloks vs. Lego is a matter of design taste, but compatible. Mega Bloks has licensed Assassin's Creed and has some historical sets, as well. It's probably the most visually stunning:

Image

Their World of Warcraft line is canceled (try Ebay), but here's a pic of a castle set:

Image
..
UNCLE ZARGON
Image
WANTS.. YOU


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 5329
Images: 14
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Ye Olde Pub

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 0 guests