• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Shadzar » November 7th, 2021, 2:51 am

j_dean80 wrote:I just got 3 emails from 3 separate orders Saturday evening that “Your order has left the building!”


so you ordered 3 versions at 3 different times, and got an email for each order number? or it is 1 order number for 3 copies and got 3 emails for each package?
Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 212
Joined: November 15th, 2020, 10:08 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Cael Darkhollow » November 7th, 2021, 4:19 am

there is zero mention or artwork of the ORC BARD, HALFlING WARLOCK, or DRUID in the rule book or the base game quest book.
The ORC BARD is only mentioned in Teos Abadia's Spirit Queen's Torment quest book and is depicted in artwork on page 4.
The DRUID and HALFLING WARLOCK only exist on their character cards in the Mythic expansion as far as I can see.
Their spells/weapons for the new trio are described in the mythic expansion card deck only and are not found in the base game rule book either as far as I can tell.

All three of them don't appear anywhere in the base game or ROTWL or KK original expansions (as far as I can tell) so their negative impact on the mythos or HeroQuest world is nearly negligible, as only Haslab backers will ever get the figs or cards it seems.

Whew! what a relief that is!
Last edited by Cael Darkhollow on November 7th, 2021, 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
User avatar
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 396
Images: 0
Joined: November 9th, 2017, 12:25 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Cael Darkhollow » November 7th, 2021, 4:30 am

the backside of the tile sheet shows two iron grate arches on the backs of the two wide stone blocks (similar to the Les Edwards artwork on the original ROTWL expansion cover) and an orc skull? token on the back of the eyeball token...I can find no mention or description so far of these tiles. The reverse of the stair shows a straight stair instead of a spiral stair, and some of the stone wall tiles or secret doors show rubble piles, skulls tiles, or pit traps on the reverse
Image
Image
the new tiles for the Crypt of Perpetual Darkness are described in that quest book
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
User avatar
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 396
Images: 0
Joined: November 9th, 2017, 12:25 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Shadzar » November 7th, 2021, 4:47 am

Cael Darkhollow wrote:the backside of the tile sheet shows two iron grate arches on the backs of the two wide stone blocks (similar to the Les Edwards artwork on the original ROTWL expansion cover) and an orc skull? token on the back of the eyeball token...I can find no mention or description so far of these tiles. The reverse of the stair shows a straight stair instead of a spiral stair, and some of the stone wall tiles or secret doors show rubble piles, skulls tiles, or pit traps on the reverse
Image

That is what people call the Zargon symbol, because it appeared on Twitter when Zargon took over the official Twitter account for HeroQuest.
https://twitter.com/heroquest
Image

I assume the other side is supposed to be... the other side of the coin? the Mentor symbol? Loretome symbol?

Still the straight 2*2 stairs the symbols and gates have no icons in the books or use that we know of, they seem to b somethign forgotte, or was planned and people told AH "jsut remake the original game as it was" and they stopped making changes.

Which is fine, we got new tiles to play with, and they can make whatever woke expansions int he future to fail, and them blame for the reason HQ ends again, or can mature and realize when one woke expansion fails, stop doing woke crap.

or it might just be for some new examination that isn't woke and people will love.. maybe the Elf or Dwarf quests?

I am hoping the trap door tiles are jsut badly shown in videos and the hinges on them aren't off-center. That is jsut crappy art or layout if they cut off-center for the tiles.
Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 212
Joined: November 15th, 2020, 10:08 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Lothar » November 7th, 2021, 5:45 am

Cael Darkhollow wrote:there is zero mention or artwork of the ORC BARD, HALFlING WARLOCK, or DRUID in the rule book or the base game quest book.
The ORC BARD is only mentioned in Teos Abadia's Spirit Queen's Torment quest book and is depicted in artwork on page 4.
The DRUID and HALFLING WARLOCK only exist on their character cards in the Mythic expansion as far as I can see.
Their spells/weapons for the new trio are described in the mythic expansion card deck only and are not found in the base game rule book either as far as I can tell.

All three of them don't appear anywhere in the base game or ROTWL or KK original expansions (as far as I can tell) so their negative impact on the mythos or HeroQuest world is nearly negligible, as only Haslab backers will ever get the figs or cards it seems.

Whew! what a relief that is!


I don't mind the additional heroes since they are merely a bonus feature, but the design choices were odd to say the least. Setting aside game mechanics, "Warlock" seems like an odd addition to the archetypical Barbarian, Dwarf, Elf, and Wizard. The Bard is less offensive on this front but I'm sure that most veteran HQ players resent that the model is an Orc. I like the Druid in theory (I would have preferred a Cleric), but I don't like the model (or any of the other bonus hero models for that matter). I also don't like that the Druid spell deck includes a picture of the Druid on the back, rather than a generic design like the elementals for the Wizard/Elf spells (aesthetically, it ties the spells to the model rather than to the archetype). I might try the Druid at some point, but I don't envision these new heroes seeing much action.
User avatar
Lothar
 
Posts: 8
Joined: November 7th, 2021, 4:16 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Pancho » November 7th, 2021, 8:42 am

Cael Darkhollow wrote:there is zero mention or artwork of the ORC BARD, HALFlING WARLOCK, or DRUID in the rule book or the base game quest book.
The ORC BARD is only mentioned in Teos Abadia's Spirit Queen's Torment quest book and is depicted in artwork on page 4.
The DRUID and HALFLING WARLOCK only exist on their character cards in the Mythic expansion as far as I can see.
Their spells/weapons for the new trio are described in the mythic expansion card deck only and are not found in the base game rule book either as far as I can tell.

All three of them don't appear anywhere in the base game or ROTWL or KK original expansions (as far as I can tell) so their negative impact on the mythos or HeroQuest world is nearly negligible, as only Haslab backers will ever get the figs or cards it seems.

Whew! what a relief that is!

Thanks for this info. A few of us have been waiting to see how damaging the new D&D type Heroes were going to be to the relaunch. Can you say more about how the orc bard fits into the Spirit Queen storyline? How integral is he, and does it break the expansion if old school Heroquest fans substitute him out for something more intelligent?
Do we have to adopt a revisionist view of orcs in general to play this pack?


Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
User avatar
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1277
Joined: April 12th, 2017, 10:43 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » November 7th, 2021, 9:26 am

Thanks for the updates Cael & Shadzar for reminding me!

Are there any "rule clarifications" in the new quest books? Ie: selling back items, hiring mercenaries, etc?

Nice to finally see the reverse side double block square images ("grates"). And yes, the GS's mystery tile.

Interesting that only the Orc Bard gets a real introduction. So what the players do with the new heroes is even more open ended. Quests may not be specially balanced for them in particular. Them each having the ability to independently heal is always helpful. To me the Bard is still a pirate, he's even got that anchor tattoo in the artwork, like Popeye the sailor orc.

The Game System's Quest Book monster section at the end just revises the Orc, Goblin, "Dread Warrior" and Abomination listings. Only Orcs that are "allied with evil sorcerers" are evil, right? I guess so young players don't immediately distrust the Bard and kill him?


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7115
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Blayze » November 7th, 2021, 9:47 am

Lothar wrote:I don't mind the additional heroes since they are merely a bonus feature, but the design choices were odd to say the least. Setting aside game mechanics, "Warlock" seems like an odd addition to the archetypical Barbarian, Dwarf, Elf, and Wizard. The Bard is less offensive on this front but I'm sure that most veteran HQ players resent that the model is an Orc. I like the Druid in theory (I would have preferred a Cleric), but I don't like the model (or any of the other bonus hero models for that matter). I also don't like that the Druid spell deck includes a picture of the Druid on the back, rather than a generic design like the elementals for the Wizard/Elf spells (aesthetically, it ties the spells to the model rather than to the archetype). I might try the Druid at some point, but I don't envision these new heroes seeing much action.


A little reframing would do wonders for the new characters when it comes to grounding them in the world; it's all about making them look more serious and more like anti-heroes.

The Warlock is probably the simplest; all it really takes is a wearier and maybe emaciated, aged and/or hunched look, to better convey the concept of trying to fight evil with evil and the cost of dealing with dark powers.
Doesn't even have to change from being a halfling or hobbit or whatever, really.

For the Bard, you could double-down on the roguish aspect and turn him into an outlaw figure, but that clashes with his spells; it's probably better to go the other way and make him something like a wardrummer or a Chanter from Pillars of Eternity (maybe even a half-orc, if you want to imply he wasn't welcome in Zargon's forces and sided against them because of that). Either way, you've got to make him more serious and world-weary... or just sack everything off and turn him into an alchemist.

For the Druid, I think the best way is to spin her as more of a witch-like figure (probably best aging her for that), either bending nature to her will or siding with nature against civilisation like the Shadow Druids from the Baldur's Gate series.
If you take her down the "enslave nature" route, her spells can be reframed as leeching vitality from the land itself (for Pixie, you forcibly summon a nature spirit to you and rip its energy from its body).
Blayze

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 95
Joined: October 13th, 2020, 5:21 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » November 7th, 2021, 10:47 am

So make the Warlock look like Gollum?

I'm for the Bard being a pirate (although he plays like a Cleric, hence my Jekyll and Hyde idea of him being part of this experimental movement to alter the Orcs).
Making him into a Shaman drummer type guy is a cool idea too. Being a rejected Orc I think is kind of the implication from the beginning but not sure its that's alluded to at all in the story. I think his outfit and anchor tattoo suggest a pirate connection. If one keeps him as an Orc at all. I'm all for alchemists!

The Druid being some kind of battle mage or nature magician is cool with me, a bit like the Mystic from Legacy of Sorasil. Nice ideas.

But then again it's kind of like the stock characters.

Is your Barbarian an amoral brute full of bloodlust... or is he some kind of noble savage fighting for honor? Is he like Conan or somebody else entirely?
Is the Wizard some kind of power mad trickster, or is he some kind of wise sage, or maybe he's some kind of slick man about town?

You're given a type more than an outline even if the artwork suggests different things and the designers gave little hints for how they thought the character should be played.

They're still "heroes" at the end of the day, but one's idea of heroism may differ from another depending upon the tone of the setting and the personality of the players and their mood that day.


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7115
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Shadzar » November 7th, 2021, 11:05 am

Kurgan wrote:So make the Warlock look like Gollum?

I'm for the Bard being a pirate (although he plays like a Cleric, hence my Jekyll and Hyde idea of him being part of this experimental movement to alter the Orcs).


You can always add some Games Workshop back to your game, without paying the Games Workshop prices by getting Green Stuff from the manufacturer and now pay for that citadel logo on the pack.
http://www.polymericsystems.com/epoxies-adhesives/epoxy-putty-tapes/kneadatite-blue-yellow.htm
Image

MAke him look like a giant teddy bear if you want to. ;)
Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 212
Joined: November 15th, 2020, 10:08 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests