Orc26 wrote:Anyone else give the orc bard a try in a play test? Just wondering if others had the same opinion of his spells and the rapier as I did.
The Rapier doesn't need playtesting, because it's basically the EU version of the Short Sword. I already changed the name to Rapier and included it in with existing equipment, since I play a hybrid of UK and UK rules via Roll20 right now.
The Bard's spells (until further information, I am ignoring that the character is an Orc, because it just doesn't make sense, compared to say an Elven or Human Bard) seem fine.
Inspiring Tale is basically a reusable half-strength Courage spell. I am tempted to allow it to affect ALL Heroes you can "see", because it's half strength and only lasts for 1 attack. I'd consider changing the duration to "any attack until the start of your next turn." This way, the team focus of the Bard is increased, and the Bard doesn't necessarily have to try and predict which Hero would get the most use out of it.
Healing Song is a group healing spell, but I think that 2 BP per hero you can see is a bit strong, as that can mean the party regains up to 8 BP in total. It's essentially giving a half strength Heal Body spell to every hero. Personally, I'd consider reducing Healing Song to just restoring 1 BP per hero, for a total of 4 BPs restored, keeping it the same strength as Heal Body.
Lullaby is basically a Sleep spell. Personally, I with HQ would stop using Red Dice for Mind Points, when you have the Combat Dice available. 1 in 6 chance is rolling a Black Shield, so why not just have targets resisting the spell on a Black Shield instead?
The Bard itself seems an okay hero, that's not that different from the Elf. Slightly weaker 5 BP rather than 6 BP for no real reason. It's essentially an Elf with the Water spells, but Veil of Mist is replaced by a returnable Courage.
As for the Bard's ability to gain +1 Defence Die when not wearing Armour, I would consider altering that slightly. Swashbucklers are named after the bucklers they would "swash" to try and distract foes. So, I would consider letting the Bard use a Shield, and still gain the bonus Defence Die. The restrictions should be that the Bard doesn't get the bonus Defence Die when wearing Armour or a Helmet.
The Bard with a Shield could have a Defence of 4 Dice (2 Base, +1 Shield, +1 Bard) which is equivalent to a Bard wearing Plate Mail anyway. A Bard can still get a Defence of 6 Dice from wearing Platemail, Shield, and a Helmet - as the Bard isn't restricted from wearing Armour, Shields, or Helmets.
The phrasing of "non-metal Armour" implies that either the Bard CAN use Wizard-Only Armour, or that non-metal Armour is going to be added to the game, possibly meaning that all Armour values will be increased by +1 Die.
So, Leather = +1 (for 3 Dice), Chain = +2 (for 4 Dice), and Plate = +3 (for 5 Dice). You can then get a Shield and a Helmet for an extra +2 Defence Dice, for a possible total of 7 Defence Dice without spells.