Page 1 of 2

Homemade HQ bases with milliput/instant-mold

PostPosted: September 24th, 2012, 6:11 am
by Sjeng
I've been experimenting with instant-mold and milliput, and with some degree of succes :)

I've recently bought some warhammer ogre bodies, because I had many spare bits from my ogre battallion box, like heads, arms, weapons and belly-shields, so with only a few extra bodies, I could make more ogres. The only thing they were missing were the shoes and of course bases.
The original WH bases are big, 2x2, plastic bases, that don't fir on the HQ board. So I used instant-mold and milliput to make new shoes and new bases. I simply copied the plastic shoes from the warhammer sprues to make extras, and for the HQ base, I used a zombie because the feet are close in the center, and are easy to cut off of the cast. Some pictures:

IMG_0014.jpg

I simply placed the zombie in my Lego mold with the soft instant-mold around his feet, and firmly pressed it down. When it hardened, I cut the mold open on one side, and used a knife to cut through the mold between the legs. I could then pry the model out of the instant-mold, and I cut off all excess mold from that. Then I placed it upside down in the Leo again, which held it nicely together as I had cut the mold. Then I pressed in some milliput, and let it harden overnight.
The next day, I took it out, filed off the edges, and cut off the cast feet. Then I filed the top and bottom so they were smooth, and this is the result.

Next, I made 2 more molds from this prototype base, and used more milliput. The easy way to make molds from any item with a flat bottom is using Lego, as shown here:

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg


Now you can use the molds to make more bases with milliput!
These are excellent for ogres :)

Re: Homemade HQ bases with milliput/instant-mold

PostPosted: February 17th, 2019, 10:37 pm
by Thor-in
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Stuff-8Ba ... SwpDdVcfyd

Looks like this is the stuff Sjeng was using. I'm planning on buying some in the future and trying to make some bases for the 1991 GW figures I just got on eBay, that don't come with HQ bases.

You could probably do the same thing with oven bake clay, and a releasing agent to create the mold.

Re: Homemade HQ bases with milliput/instant-mold

PostPosted: February 18th, 2019, 3:05 am
by StratosVX
Thanos had HQ bases in his store. Might be easier than making your own.

Re: Homemade HQ bases with milliput/instant-mold

PostPosted: February 18th, 2019, 6:28 am
by Thantos
These are looking nice :D
Just a fyi, that in about a month, I'll have some injection moulded plastic ones on the store too :) Can sell them cheaper than the current resin ones and the same HIPS plastic as the HQ figures, so can be glued with poly cement |_P

Re: Homemade HQ bases with milliput/instant-mold

PostPosted: February 18th, 2019, 7:00 am
by Thor-in
StratosVX wrote:Thanos had HQ bases in his store. Might be easier than making your own.


Yes I do know that Thantos has some cheaper, this was more of a "hey look you could make your own in a pinch if needed".

Thantos wrote:These are looking nice :D
Just a fyi, that in about a month, I'll have some injection moulded plastic ones on the store too :) Can sell them cheaper than the current resin ones and the same HIPS plastic as the HQ figures, so can be glued with poly cement |_P


I remember you telling me they would be ready in about a month (I'm still planning on buying some when they are done). Looks like this stuff actually would work good for creating molds for any broken parts, like a missing sword or axe.

Re: Homemade HQ bases with milliput/instant-mold

PostPosted: February 18th, 2019, 8:21 am
by j_dean80
Thantos wrote:These are looking nice :D
Just a fyi, that in about a month, I'll have some injection moulded plastic ones on the store too :) Can sell them cheaper than the current resin ones and the same HIPS plastic as the HQ figures, so can be glued with poly cement |_P


Any possibility they will be available in NA format too?

Re: Homemade HQ bases with milliput/instant-mold

PostPosted: February 19th, 2019, 6:11 am
by Thantos
j_dean80 wrote:Any possibility they will be available in NA format too?


Maybe the next version to be done in resin :P To be perfectly honest, i only learnt that the NA version of bases was different a short while ago :roll:

Thor-in wrote: Looks like this stuff actually would work good for creating molds for any broken parts, like a missing sword or axe.


Mega kudos if you make a much coveted candlestick and rat mould ;)

Re: Homemade HQ bases with milliput/instant-mold

PostPosted: February 19th, 2019, 12:11 pm
by benvoliothefirst
j_dean80 wrote:Any possibility they will be available in NA format too?

Thantos wrote: Maybe the next version to be done in resin :P To be perfectly honest, i only learnt that the NA version of bases was different a short while ago :roll:

Since discovering the differences at this here forum, I've always just been under the impression that the NA versions were intended to be the same, but were just victims of mold degradation.

Re: Homemade HQ bases with milliput/instant-mold

PostPosted: February 19th, 2019, 1:51 pm
by Thor-in
Thantos wrote:
Thor-in wrote: Looks like this stuff actually would work good for creating molds for any broken parts, like a missing sword or axe.

Mega kudos if you make a much coveted candlestick and rat mould ;)


.......You know, I do believe that I have a candlestick and rat that are completely in tacked. I don't use them just for that reason. Maybe they should have a thin piece of wire in the middle to stop them from completely breaking again, if I can create the molds.

Re: Homemade HQ bases with milliput/instant-mold

PostPosted: March 12th, 2019, 2:03 pm
by arch8ngel
That is a great looking method for mold-tooling.

I picked up the Dungeon Plunger Cutter set from Green Stuff World (for shipping from Spain it showed up incredibly quickly), and I've been dabbling with stamping tiles in Super Sculpey.

But working the Scupley is a big enough pain that at some point I will want to make molds, and your method looks like a winner.

Also, something like the plunger cutter or one of the texture-rollers that Green Stuff World sells would make a great addition to your HQ-style bases.
i.e. make the initial base in Milliput, then after it hardens add another layer that you texturize to mimic the dungeon floor -- then cast from there.