Page 1 of 1

new heroquest-based system

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 3:38 pm
by torilen
SO - I've been working on this new game system for a good while now...and I'm almost ready to unleash it
upon the world.
I'm giving you all a quick peek at it, hoping at least a few of you will find it intriguing. You'll notice it is very
similar to heroquest. You can even use the combat dice with it, if you want. A roll of 3 or 4 or 5 would equal
rolling skulls; a roll of 1 or 2 would equal rolling white shields; a roll of 6 would equal rolling black shields.

What I've included here a few pre-made characters, to give you an idea of what could be possible with the
game system. I would suggest, if you do nothing else, at least take a look at the characters...especially the
Gnome. He is AWESOME.
I've also included some of the basic needed game play rules, so you can run through the short scenario I've
also added.
NOW - to be honest, the scenario isn't all that great. I just added it for you to have something to run through.
Honestly, if you want to run these characters through some of the actual heroquest quests...maybe the trial or
the maze - they would work great, I'm sure. If you decide to do that...let me know and I'll post the stats for the
monsters needed, since they change slightly for my new system.

Please let me know what you think, based on this quick peek. As I said, I've been working on this for a good while,
and I'm just about done with it. If anyone has any suggestions/critiques, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

new system for ye olde inn.pdf

Re: new heroquest-based system

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 4:25 pm
by Daedalus
Just scanned things, but I think you deserve some response. The character builds are interesting. Like the gold cost for training, very direct. Maybe scale upwards as progress, as treasure is likely to increase as well?

The idea of a gnome doing a Saruman-Gandalf style battle is cool. How does he mind control against an undead with 0 MP? My guess is no control. This ability seems a bit overbalanced at first glance, as many monsters have little defense. It's like an attack and a delay, all in one. Could control be re-established once broken? I'd say not.

The d6 values don't fit for me, even if they convert to HQ dice well. Rolling a 3-5 to hit just doesn't seem right, as a 6 would be a miss. No player will be happy if high roll fails. Consider 4-6 as a hit. 1-2 is fine as a player defend. Monsters could defend on a 1. I'd say go for matching a principle of combat opposites, not using all the numbers.

D&D appears to be a big influence. You seem to be going for more role playing here. My personal preference would be for lighter or fewer rules here, but that's just an opinion, not a critique. Some role playing should be an improvement in the right adventure.

Overall, I'd say the rules are well-worded. Avoid embedding a rule in another rule when it would be better served to separate it into another section. Re-edits pay off in clarity, reader confidence, and by association- interest.

Awsome effort.

Re: new heroquest-based system

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 5:52 pm
by gravaillon
introducing the spirit points is a great idea. I also like the gnome & all the actions you have implemented ! But I dislike the training, which I find boring. I like the idea of making hq more roleplay, because I like roleplaying game so much (warhammer the role game is a very great roleplaying game ! much more than d&d, which I respect). But I think that, if you want to have a more complete game system for HQ, you just have to take the advanced heroquest system, which is already rich and very complete (more interesting than the warhammer quest system). But the AHQ system needs a lot of changes, and also needs to be simplified. Heroquest France is working on it, so be patient. It will be a great thing for HQ !

Anyway, you have done a very great job, but I think that I will not use your system. But thanks for sharing, it gives instead a lot of ideas ! Keep on !