Page 1 of 1

Easier dice rolls or backwards compatibility?

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 12:53 pm
by cornixt
I'm getting close to finishing my Two Page Dungeon Crawl. It's what I think the spiritual successor of HQ should be, after 6 months of development (I'm slow - it really is only two pages of HQ mechanisms that have been adjusted). In order to keep it as accessable as possible, I switched it to using regular D6 rather than HQ dice, which are harder to come by. You can still use HQ dice for it, just remember that 4+ is a skull, 5+ is a white shield, and 6+ is a black shield. Since the aim of the game is to be a really easy dungeon crawl, I've been thinking about making all dice rolls 4+. Currently all the stats are pretty much the same as in HQ, so this would mean adjusting the defense values at least to allow for the fact that it's harder to kill everything. It would also render any HQ quests with custom stats as being less usable by the game system. But the old HQ dice could still be used.

So I am currently torn - do I stick with the current system which is very compatible with HQ (because it is mostly the same game!), or stick out anew with the easier 4+ success?

(not sure if this is the best forum for this question)

Re: Easier dice rolls or backwards compatibility?

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 2:24 pm
by Count Mohawk
You could compromise by making the defense stat a variable of two numbers - that is, not just how many dice, but also how high you have to roll to block a hit. So a starting Hero would have a Defend value of "Two Dice: 5+", while a Gargoyle would have "Five Dice: 6+". The upside is that it is more customizable; the downside is an increase in complexity (how would you write the "Compound Defend" stat down?).

Or, visually, do something like:
:dwarf: : :roll5: :roll5:
:gargoyle: : :roll6: :roll6: :roll6: :roll6: :roll6:

Re: Easier dice rolls or backwards compatibility?

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 5:37 pm
by knightkrawler
You lost me at replacing the combat dice. But that's me.

Re: Easier dice rolls or backwards compatibility?

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 6:09 pm
by Count Mohawk
knightkrawler wrote:You lost me at replacing the combat dice. But that's me.

I should probably have started by saying that myself. (And I use my home-made imitation knockoffs of Flint's colorful dice anyway.)

Re: Easier dice rolls or backwards compatibility?

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 10:59 am
by cornixt
The HQ dice can still be used for it.

Count Mohawk: That seems to just replace one not-dead-easy system with another. It has helped me think about it some more though, thanks.
The more I think about it, and after expressing myself openly about it, the more I think I should just stick with the dice that replicate the HQ dice exactly. It's not so complicated that it destroys the idea behind the game. I guess it's true what they say, that people ask questions they already know the answer to.

Came across Heroquest Prime for the first time today. If I'd seen that then I probably wouldn't have started this, even if it does fall into the idea that I intentionally have avoided in trying to add more depth to the game with more special rules.

Re: Easier dice rolls or backwards compatibility?

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 1:03 pm
by mitchiemasha
Removing the dice, instantly losses my interest!

Replacing those skulls and shields brings in numbers and numbers need thinking about, distracts from the gaming, making it maths.
SKULLS & SHIELDS = Exciting. NUMBERS = Boring. Even explaining the game to non gamers is so much easier with the symbol mechanic and seems good to them. Try explaining numbers and even with a simple mechanic, their face screws up.

Re: Easier dice rolls or backwards compatibility?

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 1:09 pm
by mitchiemasha
cornixt wrote:Came across Heroquest Prime for the first time today. If I'd seen that then I probably wouldn't have started this, even if it does fall into the idea that I intentionally have avoided in trying to add more depth to the game with more special rules.


There's quite a few of us working on compiling rules on to HQ. I'm about 4 months in on mine but keep fine tuning ideas after play testing. A true Advanced HeroQuest that just expands the original. Not like GW who made a complete different game.

Most of mine are others initial ideas or things we've discussed on here. I just want it all in 1 nice document. I might put an upload so people can have a lil look but it's far from finished.

Re: Easier dice rolls or backwards compatibility?

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 1:19 pm
by Goblin-King
The combat dice are one of the things that are simply perfect in HQ.
It doesn't need fixing or replacing at all...

Easy to understand.
Visually easy to read.
No thinking at all.

By introducing normal dice you are just making something good worse.
Getting special dice can be ass, but in this case it's worth it.

Re: Easier dice rolls or backwards compatibility?

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 2:27 pm
by cynthialee
For a simple board game in the HQ vein I must insist on the skull and shield dice. It makes things so much easier and it keeps numbers out of the dice rolls.
Once you go to actual numbered dice you may as well go full bore and create an RPG.

Re: Easier dice rolls or backwards compatibility?

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2014, 4:38 pm
by Teldurn
cornixt wrote:Came across Heroquest Prime for the first time today. If I'd seen that then I probably wouldn't have started this, even if it does fall into the idea that I intentionally have avoided in trying to add more depth to the game with more special rules.

I'll take this as a compliment. :P