Lets see...
I used to have the Heroes move at a flat rate - 8 squares - but I learned that movement rolls make a great place-holder for initiative. That is, are the Heroes fast enough to take tactical position, close-in on the enemies, to run quickly from them, etc. So I kept movement rolls.
In my games, the Heroes are not
defined by the published rules. A Warrior (Barbarian) could be any fighter-type: Knight, Amazon, Soldier, etc. An Expert (Dwarf) could be any type warrior with some skill: Thief, Ranger, etc. A Mage (Elf) is anyone who is mildly skilled with a sword, and as a spell-caster. And a Wizard is the same, but can go by any title typical with spell-casters: Witch, Enchanter/Enchantress, Sorcerer/Sorceress, etc. This allows players to have greater options with who they play and to enhance the role-playing aspects of the game, but beyond the option of the Expert to take other skills (at the cost of the
Trap-Mastery skill - sorry, I have no list yet, but I have been
working on it), this has no other bearing on the rules.
All coins and items are only worth 1/5 their normal value, so a Dagger only cost 5 coins instead of 25, but the lower costs are not an issue, as the Heroes can take the weapons and armor off dead enemies, as long as the items are not rotted or corrupted with evil. On top of that, monsters carry money on them in the form of a random "
Coin Draw", with treasure cards also having a random number of coins (one coin draw, for very 5 coins noted on the published treasure card). Coin Draw tokens only give a few coins each, or some other items (gems, spell scrolls, etc.) or hazards (like a snake/spider bite) among them. As tempting as gathering-up all the monsters' weapons to sell at the Armory for half their value, the Heroes are greatly limited by the
amount of stuff that they can carry. I also avoid calling the money "gold", as the majority of coins found are silver, with some mixed coinage (tin, copper, brass, bronze, etc.), along with a few valuable coins (gold, with the occasional platinum or aluminum). But this is all background fluff, with no real baring on the rules. With all of the money they can gather, I have been thinking of money-sinks in the form of high-end items, like a better keep to store goods, as well as training with in a special skill or ability boost (but as noted above, I'm still working on what skills to make, as well as there value).
With
interchangeable weapons, many of my monsters have a wider range of strategy with heavies (who use 2-handed weapons), spearmen, archers, etc. I also use a
wider range of monsters, with houserules to support them.
I allow the players to do actions that are outside of the published rules. Like with Dragon Strike, the Heroes can talk with monsters, preform Feats of Strength/Dexterity, etc. Although I have not covered feats in this forum before, the rules are quite simple: roll a few Combat Dice, with one (or more) Skull(s) counting as a success. With the amount of dice rolled for Might tests, Warrior = 3, Expert & Mage = 2, and 1. For Agility tests, Mage = 3, Warrior & Wizard = 2, and Expert = 1 (this are holdover stats form the use of the Elf and Dwarf types). Mental tests (for figuring out puzzle and magic traps) equals total Mind Points, minus 2 (minimum 1). Normally only one Skull is needed for success, but some tasks (like forcing open a locked iron-reinforced door) requires mare skulls, at the judgment of the EWP, or as noted in the Quest Book. The EWP is also at liberty to note whatever a task takes up an action, of are involuntary reactions, but they would mostly be actions.
In my games, a room may only be searched for treasure once - at all! But Heroes may also search furniture for traps and treasure (but not chairs, stools, blazers, or other small. simple items). In keeping with the PRG aspect, It is also not unusual for monsters and Heroes to throw furniture (chairs, stools, crates, barrels, etc.) around, or to overturn tables for cover. Throwing or braking furniture also voids a treasure search, so if the Heroes fight form doorways, the monsters would start throwing furniture at them, and use any table at hand for cover - voiding any treasure they might have. Beyond that, throwing chairs around is really fun to do! I'm crazy like that!

I also been working on random
Event Cards, but I have swamped with other things to get things finalized anytime soon. But so far, the
card art looks really nice!