Page 1 of 1

HeroQuest meets Final Fantasy 1, meets Diablo2

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2020, 6:00 pm
by Azure
Are you addicted to HeroQuest ? // This is a long shot...
Long Post Incoming !!

Hello fellow adventurers and HeroQuest aficionados. I know that the HeroQuest community is truly active and many of you have seen various iterations of the game. Thanks to websites like YeOldeInn and people who are extremely devoted to provide and share homebrewed additional content.

I'm currently working on a Homebrew version of HeroQuest which I'm very passionate about, and I would like to see if any people are interested in what I'm doing. I have been playing Diablo 2, and Final Fantasy 1 on NES, and some things have started to appear in my mind.

I have a wide collection of assets for the game in Table Top Simulator (STEAM), and I'm also putting a big effort into creating hero classes that are worthy of playing. I also believe my players want to have many more options other than standing in the door frame while blocking enemies, or keeping their spells for the last room of the dungeon.

I observed that D&D Players can stay in a campaign for an entire year - or even more ! So I came to think, why not have a lengthy campaign in HeroQuest that would last around 15 quests ? Why not implement a progression system for new abilities and skills, and have fighters learn new combat skills and have magic users learn more than 20 spells ?

After examining the spell list from Final Fantasy 1 on NES, (both Black and White Magic), and after taking a look at the various combat skills from Diablo 2, I envision the following for my own personal Mod of HeroQuest;

- A better armory and item shop.

- Multiple combat techniques for all fighters, along with special attack skills.

- Around 25-30 spells for magic-users, similar to those presented in Final Fantasy1 and Diablo 2.

- Strategic combat system where spells have a great implication.

- Winning means MASTERING THE ARTS OF COMBAT, and not just standing in the doorframe like a doofus.

- New traps and around 30 new monsters.

- A system in which all heroes will attain maximum power within 15-16 Quests.

- 8 Playable classes, each having extremely useful abilities that can have effect in the battlemap as experienced in HeroQuest.

- Heroquest Dice still proving useful in this new approach - - or even a d20 approach.

I'm eager to hear your comments.

Re: HeroQuest meets Final Fantasy 1, meets Diablo2

PostPosted: September 4th, 2020, 5:47 pm
by torilen
Sounds intriguing. I've always gone more toward turning HQ into a full RPG. I rarely work at homebrew
to keep it a boardgame, or make it even more of a board game (which any final fantasy additions might
do).

Re: HeroQuest meets Final Fantasy 1, meets Diablo2

PostPosted: September 6th, 2020, 9:11 am
by Azure
Yes, the boardgame aspect is very important to me. Without it, the narrative elements and scenaristic implications of a quest take over. Not that I am against it, but usually, D&D players want an epic story told to them. When I play any HeroQuest variant, I know the focus is on survival and simply completing the quest assigned at the start of the game. Also, multiple spells in my imagination have an area of effect, which actually comes into play with strategy. The Final Fantasy aspect would be to implement cool spells for a Cleric and a Wizard (respectively White Mage, Black Mage), and have them explore more powerful spells along their campaign, instead of starting out with the usual full 9 spells book. With this aspect in mind, my Cleric can now access various protection spells, various healing and anti-undead spells. My wizard can now do other things, like, send a spectral sentinel down the corridors, or petrify an enemy, or use flame pillars on every enemy in the room, or even create a chain lightning that targets successive enemies that keep 1 square distance between them.