Page 1 of 1

Treasure percentile Ideas and suggestions?

PostPosted: September 5th, 2014, 11:08 pm
by pumonca333
I lost a few treasure cards and whipped up a percentile to replace it. The standard deck was 24 cards so you just multiply each card to four slots, to keep a similar composition. Then I changed some entries to special finds, and warped some entries to one-of specials. Thought y'all could borrow or add some suggestions. I wanted to amplify the apprehension, randomness, and reward of searching for treasure, I also use a one treasure search per room or corridor, except for chests rule. Some highlights:

1% chance to find 300 gold, same with random non-unique artifact

Chance each for random potion, armor, weapon, scroll, or ring/armband, I made a couple quick charts with a 3d6 bell curve so for example: for random potion, potion of healing and combat brew would be way more likely than an elixir of life or wolfs-bane potion

You find nothing of any interest at all

You find an empty glass bottle that reminds you of a potion (I'll ask the hero what potion it reminds him of, Hero answers, confused) the bottle fills with that potion 3 times, if they answer elixir of life, fills only once

Hazard poison arrow, reduces 1 movement die for 2 turns

Hazard pit of darkness, damage based on armor type

hazard spike pit, does extra damage, re-roll for positive treasure left by previous victim

Wandering monster is friendly, controlled by player until end of quest

Wandering monster has usable weapon/artifact, and/or satchel with potion or scroll, can be looted when killed

Hazard last monster the searcher killed reanimates, and single-mindedly heads toward hero. They are both telepathically aware of each other (hero and nemesis), due to distraction hero is -1 att against anyone but nemesis until it is killed

Hazard hit by random chaos spell when you pick up a strange orb

Hazard magical trap teleports hero to map start

Hazard magical trap teleports hero's belongings to map exit. (I'll place a equipment tile from elf quest, and reveal the exit)

Hazard stinging insects infest a random piece of armor

Hazard you disturb a strange creature, which spits acid on a weapon destroying it and skitters away

Magical trap refills bp and mp

What do y'all think Suggestions?

Re: Treasure percentile Ideas and suggestions?

PostPosted: September 6th, 2014, 4:51 am
by slev
While interesting, the problem you have is that each search that gives something useful doesn't increase the chances of drawing a hazard, as it does with a traditional deck.

What you'd need to do is have separate hazard and treasure tables, and then a % chance of which to draw from. So, for the sake of argument, let's say there's a 60% chance of a hazard at the start of the game, each time they search on a D100 roll of 60 or less, there's a hazard. On any other roll, they roll on the treasure table and add one to the % chance of it being a hazard next time they roll.

Re: Treasure percentile Ideas and suggestions?

PostPosted: September 7th, 2014, 9:23 pm
by pumonca333
Hmmm, Noted, hadn't thought of that probability creep as the treasure is weeded out. I think I can achieve similar results with one list, by grouping hazards at the high numbers, and adding +4 to the die roll for each treasure that hits. It gives the added effect of eclipsing the lowest numbers as time goes on. I'll work on structuring the list to take advantage of this. Thanks for your input!