Page 1 of 3

knightkrawler's HeroQuest: Help and reviews needed.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2014, 3:12 am
by knightkrawler
Here's a question on a part of my ruleset concerning my definition of rooms and corridors. The question is if it reads intelligibly or if there are things unclear.
Also, I'll takes likes and dislikes. In the actual rulebook, there's gonna be pictures and diagrams and such.
I understand that this definition section might come off as useless or nitpicky cause it's all intuitive in the vanilla game, but my ruleset
a) changes and clarifies the searching in corridors rules
b) aims to eliminate interpretation of rules

Please point me to unclarities because I don't wanna forget anything.
___________________________________________________________________
Rooms and Corridors

On the gameboard, rooms are framed white, the frames representing the walls. In any given quest, a room on the gameboard is only considered part of the current quest if its background color on the quest map is pure white. If its background color is dark grey, it is considered solid rock.

Outside and all around the rooms there are interconnected corridor sections. All of these have the same medium grey color on the gameboard, which makes them easily recognizable. In quest maps, only those parts of corridors that have a light grey background color are considered part of the quest. The dark grey areas are considered solid rock, as dark grey rooms are. Most of the time, corridor parts that are part of the map are seperated from those that are solid rock by blocked squares.

All corridor sections could be considered as one interconnected corridor, but for gameplay reasons they are defined as seperate areas. A corridor section reaches from one corner or crossing to the next, including all squares of corners and crossings that are in line of sight of the figure within the corridor section. However, each corridor section around the central room reaches from one corner to the next unless it is seperated by a blocked square.

-PICTURE-

Of course, this never includes parts of corridor that are solid rock. Blocked squares that seperate a corridor section in two act as such concerning the sections and block line of sight.

Thus, there are some squares that are in two or more corridor sections simultaneously, being in line of sight from different directions. These are on corridor crossings and corners. Morcar activates them as soon as they come into a Hero's line of sight for the first time, and they cannot be activated another time; if such squares are included in a search for the first time, contents are found and cannot be found again.

Re: knightkrawler's HeroQuest: Help and reviews needed.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2014, 7:15 am
by TMU
I think it reads loud and clear. It is very specific, but didn't make me feel like "This must be for some idiots?!" Nice wording there!

Re: knightkrawler's HeroQuest: Help and reviews needed.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2014, 7:20 am
by Goblin-King
and thus considered a room if its background color is pure white and it contains at least one door or secret door.

A room could have a teleport or in fact only be accessible with Walk through rock. In other words, the current definition is too narrow.
Maybe just stick to the white/grey definition.

Re: knightkrawler's HeroQuest: Help and reviews needed.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2014, 8:29 am
by knightkrawler
Goblin-King wrote:
and thus considered a room if its background color is pure white and it contains at least one door or secret door.

A room could have a teleport or in fact only be accessible with Walk through rock. In other words, the current definition is too narrow.
Maybe just stick to the white/grey definition.


Thank you very much, dear Sir. I'll edit my first post.
And thank you to, TMU.

Re: knightkrawler's HeroQuest: Help and reviews needed.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2014, 8:40 pm
by sajungzak
I stumbled through the first part; it seems a bit convoluted for easy reading.

Maybe you could use something like this:

In any given quest, a room on the gameboard is only considered part of the current quest if its background color on the quest map is pure white. If its background color is dark grey, it is considered solid rock.

edit* S'more Murikenization of an excerpt toward the end:

A blocking rock square that seperates a corridor section in two acts as such concerning the sections.

Also, there are some squares that are in two or more corridor sections simultaneously, being in line of sight from different directions. These are on corridor crossings and corners.

Re: knightkrawler's HeroQuest: Help and reviews needed.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2014, 1:26 am
by knightkrawler
Thanks, dude.
These all make sense, though I wanted to keep plural with the blocking rock. My regular board has double hallways all around, so, mostly, IF a corridor is split in two, it has to be by at least two blocking rock squares.

Re: knightkrawler's HeroQuest: Help and reviews needed.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2014, 9:22 am
by sajungzak
Cool. It feels like I helped! I meant to merely offer grammatical suggestions, there is, after all, more than one way to skin a cat!

Re: knightkrawler's HeroQuest: Help and reviews needed.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2014, 4:36 pm
by Daedalus
knightkrawler wrote:On the gameboard, rooms are framed white, the frames representing the walls. In any given quest, a room on the gameboard is only considered part of the current quest if its background color on the quest map is pure white. If its background color is dark grey, it is considered solid rock.

Outside and all around the rooms there are interconnected corridor sections. All of these have the same medium grey color on the gameboard, which makes them easily recognizable. In quest maps, only those parts of corridors and corridor sections that have a light grey background color are considered part of the quest. The dark grey areas are considered solid rock, as dark grey rooms are. Most of the time, corridor parts that are part of the map are seperated from those that are solid rock by blocking rock squares.

All corridor sections could be considered as one interconnected corridor, but for gameplay reasons they are defined as seperate areas: A corridor section reaches from one corner or crossing to the next, always including all squares of corners and crossings that are in line of sight of the figure within the corridor section. Of course, this never includes parts of corridor that are solid rock. Blocking rock squares that seperats a corridor section in two act as such concerning the sections.

Thus,there are some squares that are in two or more corridor sections simultaneously, being in line of sight from different directions. These are on corridor crossings and corners. Whenever such a square is occupied by any type of content, Morcar activates it as soon as it comes within a Hero's line of sight for the first time. It cannot be activated another time. Similarly, if such a square is included in a search for the first time, contents are found and cannot be found again.

*"quest" > Quest. NA style, "quest map" > Quest Map.
*I'm not sure what differentiates a part of a corridor from a part of a corridor section. Isn't part of a corridor a corridor section?
*"Blocking rock squares" > blocked square marker or blocked square tile (preferred.)
*areas: > areas. I think the topic sentence is a clear statement, so other sentences naturally fall under it without a formal colon pointing-to-the-following-just-mentioned.
*"crossing" > T-intersection Maybe I'm just being cranky, but crossing made me wonder a bit. Isn't a corner also a crossing? This might be a 'murican thing.
*"one corner or crossing to the next"--I'm not as clear as I'd like to be. If this means one crossing to the next corner or crossing, then the inner corridor sections are bisected and quite small. Shouldn't these inner corridors be corner to corner? Also, if at an outer crossing, a section will run from the crossing to both corners if all crossing squares are counted, which will double the corridor section rather than split it into two. I suppose one of the diagrams that you are mentioned would clear all this up.
*"seperats" > separate
*"act as such concerning the sections" > are treated a solid rock concerning those sections. You may need to include a dead end in your definition of a corridor section now: A corridor section reaches from one corner, crossing or dead end to the next,...
*"Thus,there" > thus, there I can't seem to help myself, even in an obvious typo.
*I'm not sure I get the idea behind the last paragraph. Can you provide examples of activated content? Same goes for contents found. "Content" felt mysterious to me, like more explanation was needed. Maybe I'd understand with some more definition or examples.

Well, I'm pretty heavy in my suggestion list because I know you take outside perspective well. :) I'd go simpler and intuitive, but I hope my ideas can help out even the edits.

Re: knightkrawler's HeroQuest: Help and reviews needed.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2014, 1:26 am
by knightkrawler
Thanks, D. My non-capitalization is persistent through all the rulebook. Have no fear, there.
I'll rethink corridor sections. Difficult, this. But that's what you're here for, o best weapon for grammar and semantics for he who wants to write a rulebook.

I dropped the 'contents' wording.
When a figure or furniture piece or door comes into line of sight of a Hero (well, the other way around mostly, but you get the gist) it is activated by Morcar, which is how I call the Evil Wizard Player. That should silence your confusion. Of course, another chapter before this one deals with that definition.

Then, I get the problem with the central corridor being divided into too many too small sections. So I put another sentence in there avoiding that, defining a corridor section within that corridor as corner-to-corner. There's also gonna be different example pictures which should make things pretty clear.
Maybe those will even make most of the text redundant if I just put a map with the whole gameboard there and coloring the corridor sections differently and then one other where a blocked square seperates a section in two, explaining that. Will do that because I'm not stupid.

Re: knightkrawler's HeroQuest: Help and reviews needed.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2014, 3:13 am
by chaoticprime
You could eliminate 50% of the text by having one sample map with a visual object key prior to the first quest.