Page 1 of 2

Equip Action

PostPosted: March 15th, 2013, 1:29 pm
by mainat
One thing that has always bugged me was that a hero can carry an unlimited number of weapons (well equipment in general) and use whichever item that best suited there needs at the time of attack or defense. There's just so many things wrong with that. I can't easily fix the carrying of unlimited items, it is what it is. But I can easily fix having every weapon on hand available for an attack.

So in addition to Attack, Cast a Spell, Search for Treasure/Secret Doors/Traps, and Disarm a Trap actions; I offer up the Equip Action.

A prerequisite for this action is to have all of the equipment cards printed out (like I guess how the UK edition was shipped?).
http://www.yeoldeinn.com/na-system.php (Scroll down to the equipment cards that drathe put together)

It's quite simple really, instead of keeping track of your equipment on paper you use the cards to identify what equipment you have on each hero by placing them on or near your hero card. The equipment that is being used or "equipped" is signified by being face up. So a broadsword, shield, and helmet...all face up. Every other piece of equipment, including that sweet battle axe, is face down. On your Hero's turn you may use the equip action to reconfigure your hero's equipment. So face down the sword and shield, face up the battle axe.

One other detail; I actually printed out two copies of each equipment card. So there is at most 2 copies of each equipment available in the game. This means not everyone will get the stylish horned helmet. But I like this because it gives each hero nearly a unique configuration. Obviously you can get around this limitation by making 3 or 4 copies of each equipment card.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Re: Equip Action

PostPosted: March 15th, 2013, 4:55 pm
by Patroclus
It is clear and simple. “One more action for changing weapons”. I have heard that before and I like it. I am too, one of the less people here who likes to change weapons at will during the quest.

But, the good about the rules of HQ is that there are no many rules. Having this in mind I like to let the logic decide every time what is right or wrong. When the barbarian have one dagger, one battle axe, and one broad sword with a shield, I could accept it and let him carry these weapons, and why not, changing them between battles or maybe with the equip action you describe. But if the wizard has three staffs, one for chaos, one with ball of flame daily charges, and one with something else, ask him to sell or drop something. Don’t add extra rules, just say “I won’t allow that because it makes no sense” or better, “it’s ridiculous”... Make it clear from the start to your players.

Another good idea is to put a limited number of boxes (4 or 5 is enough) on the character sheets for the potions, and this is good if you don’t want your players feel like moving stores. This makes them use and don’t forget their potions of strength and throwing daggers for many quests.

Re: Equip Action

PostPosted: March 15th, 2013, 5:25 pm
by el_flesh
Use one (or more) movement points rolled on the die for equipping.


That's a good way to handle extra actions for a simplified game like HQ. Mebbe the same thing for drinking potions or whatever else. If you have already used your move, you might dip into your next roll.

Re: Equip Action

PostPosted: March 16th, 2013, 2:19 am
by knightkrawler
el_flesh wrote:Use one (or more) movement points rolled on the die for equipping.

That's a good way to handle extra actions for a simplified game like HQ. Mebbe the same thing for drinking potions or whatever else. If you have already used your move, you might dip into your next roll.


I do that as well. 3 or 4 movement points for reloading a crossbow, e.g.
2 points for changing the weapon in the main hand... things like that.
Very simple.

Re: Equip Action

PostPosted: March 16th, 2013, 3:48 am
by Goblin-King
My group reached the conclusion that the heroes' equipment shouldn't be limited by available cards.
You find equipment during the quests all the time. What do you do if that card is already taken? Besides US just have an unlimited shop anyways...
I like the concept of limited equipment and understand why people would want to do it, but I really don't think it works that well in practice.

We play that equipment switching isn't really allowed except between quests. The idea is that your choice of weapon should be a strategic choice.
If you choose the crossbow you gotta stick with it. If you gambled and choose Orc's Bane, expecting lots of orcs, but there aren't any? Too bad!
The exception to the rule is if a hero finds new equipment during a quest. Then he gets a free switch to equip the new stuff if he chooses to.

If you must have switching I agree that you at the very least need to spend your action doing it. I think spending movement is too cheap (and complicated to be honest).
I'm not sure about your idea about turning cards- gets a little complex here too. Just put the equipped card in front of you or something.

Re: Equip Action

PostPosted: March 18th, 2013, 1:12 am
by AerynB
mainat wrote:
It's quite simple really, instead of keeping track of your equipment on paper you use the cards to identify what equipment you have on each hero by placing them on or near your hero card. The equipment that is being used or "equipped" is signified by being face up. So a broadsword, shield, and helmet...all face up. Every other piece of equipment, including that sweet battle axe, is face down. On your Hero's turn you may use the equip action to reconfigure your hero's equipment. So face down the sword and shield, face up the battle axe.

One other detail; I actually printed out two copies of each equipment card. So there is at most 2 copies of each equipment available in the game. This means not everyone will get the stylish horned helmet. But I like this because it gives each hero nearly a unique configuration. Obviously you can get around this limitation by making 3 or 4 copies of each equipment card.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

This is a neat idea. The recent D&D board games do this with powers kind of. And I've printed out at least 4 sets of those cards so nobody would feel shafted if they wanted to buy a crossbow but there wasn't a card available. I'll see if I can put this face up/face down thing into practice somehow.

Re: Equip Action

PostPosted: March 18th, 2013, 6:17 am
by Big Bene
I have thought of (but never implemented) a system similar to some computer rpgs:
Each hero has a "backpack", which is a card kept together with his character sheet (or actually a part of a custom cahracter sheet). It has a grid of squares on it. Items come with "item cards", with an image of the given item and in the apropriate size and shape, filling X by Y squares. Players arrange the items they want to take in a quest on the "backpack" card. They can only carry the items that fit "in" the backpack (plus the weapons and armor they have currently "equipped").

Well, this was just an idea. Probably it's overly complicated. I thought I'd post it anyway, perhaps it can inspire someone to better ideas.

Re: Equip Action

PostPosted: March 18th, 2013, 7:34 am
by Sjeng
Big Bene wrote:I have thought of (but never implemented) a system similar to some computer rpgs:
Each hero has a "backpack", which is a card kept together with his character sheet (or actually a part of a custom cahracter sheet). It has a grid of squares on it. Items come with "item cards", with an image of the given item and in the apropriate size and shape, filling X by Y squares. Players arrange the items they want to take in a quest on the "backpack" card. They can only carry the items that fit "in" the backpack (plus the weapons and armor they have currently "equipped").

Well, this was just an idea. Probably it's overly complicated. I thought I'd post it anyway, perhaps it can inspire someone to better ideas.

That's a fun way to do it, it's like all those RPG games, like Torchlight and Diablo. Got some pics?

Re: Equip Action

PostPosted: March 18th, 2013, 8:37 am
by Big Bene
Sjeng wrote:Got some pics?
Big Bene wrote:I have thought of (but never implemented)
Sorry :roll:

Re: Equip Action

PostPosted: March 18th, 2013, 11:23 am
by mainat
Good conversation all!

I agree that using movement points are too inexpensive of a payment for changing out equipment (at least in the games I run). Though I can see how this could work well. I do like the idea that you have to pick your equipment at the beginning of the quest and then you are stuck with it. It makes for some tough decisions that could have vast ramifications; I like that kind of strategy and it's simple. I assume you read the quest note from Mentor before the hero's choose their equipment? I might try playing a couple quests like that and see how I and the players like it.

The question was asked what do I do when a quest has a treasure like a shield or short sword and I don't have any of those cards left in "supply". I just change the treasure to something similar in cost or function, the players don't know the difference. I do allow players to sell their equipment for 50% of the purchase cost; so chances are it'll end up back in supply.