Page 1 of 1

Top Fan Created Quests? (Links here!)

PostPosted: October 28th, 2021, 12:09 pm
by Kurgan
I realize this is highly subjective, but with nearly 32 years of Hero Quest under our belts and an online presence for decades...

What are the "top 5" user generated quests? These could be Inn favorites, or perhaps determined by White Dwarf or other fan "zines" or maybe some lists you've found elsewhere? I was never a part of Old Scratch so I don't know what they had back in the day.

Top could be in terms of popularity, creativity, overall fun factor or some other criteria (probably "hardest" or "easiest" wouldn't qualify automatically). Maybe most epic?

Top 5 best?
Top 10?

Or maybe to play it cool, "Top 14"? :mrgreen:

Any other lists? Or maybe share your personal favorites (could be self serving if you made them).

I know about the ones on Phoenix's page, the official and semi-official, again I'm thinking more ones that have been created and recognized for their quality by others.

Do such lists exist, or is it time that we start getting submissions again and voting ourselves?

Thanks in advance! Users, fans, players... you know what I mean, we the people creating our own stuff!

Re: Top User Created Quests?

PostPosted: October 28th, 2021, 12:48 pm
by lestodante
Some quests from Dungeon Dark series by Whitebeard and Mirror Magic by Goblin-king are coming to my mind right now.
Also one quest from Tyrant's Tomb by Pancho featuring the Dwarf was very interesting to me.
For sure I will remember and post more titles later.

Re: Top Fan Created Quests?

PostPosted: October 28th, 2021, 1:01 pm
by Kurgan
Great, and where to find them is another good thing to know...

Re: Top Fan Created Quests?

PostPosted: October 29th, 2021, 6:46 am
by Stig
You're looking for Anderas' Index of Quests:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

My top few are:

1) WAAAGH by Thrawn - an alternative set of quests for starter heroes, with an excellent plot of stopping an Orc invasion. Each Quest has some great plots, including one where you find the boss monster and their aim is to escape, another where you need to go and drop an axe into some lava, and one where you find a secret door by searching the bottom of a pit! Has great use of poison counters - a poisoned hero who is dealt damage via poison loses one BP plus receives a poison counter. When they are healed, poison counters are removed first, for every point of healing received. So if you have 2 poison counters, you need to "heal" to BP before your total BP can increase.

2) Kellar's Keep redux by Mike MacDee- a lovely new take on Kellar's keep that irons things out and makes it a lot more interesting too

3) Champion of L'Empire by Ghan - it manages to create, in the world of Heroquest, a situation where the Heroes can actually be fighting for Zargon but without knowing it. An ingenious plot.

4) Dungeons Dark - absolute classic

5) And finally, Nicodemus' Rogue Wizardry - a series of Quest Packs, which creates the End Game of Heroquest. After a few years out of adventuring, Mentor calls the Heroes back together one final time...there are mini-quests that are interludes and flashbacks, and the final, final battle is... well not gonna spoil anything:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4952&hilit=rogue+wizardry

Re: Top Fan Created Quests?

PostPosted: October 29th, 2021, 10:11 am
by Kurgan
Excellent!

Re: Top Fan Created Quests?

PostPosted: November 30th, 2021, 4:46 pm
by The Admiral
Difficult...I am only ranking ones both my brother and I have played.

1) Heralds of Chaos
2) Gathering of the Hordes
3) Heir to Chaos
4) Mound of the Beastmen
5) Spawn of Chaos

I like packs that have lots of new stuff, such as monsters and cards. The first 4 certainly qualify for that, plus they were great fun. I found it difficult to nail down a fifth. So many, but I loved Sigvald the Magnificent and even bought his figure off e-bay, so Spawn takes 5th place. And Sigvald isn't finished yet.

Re: Top Fan Created Quests?

PostPosted: November 30th, 2021, 5:34 pm
by Kurgan
And I see as well that HeroQuestAdventures.com has its own list of fan quests (and the site owner's personal ratings).

Re: Top Fan Created Quests?

PostPosted: November 30th, 2021, 5:48 pm
by therealshrek
OOoh, I had not seen that site before. Very nice format, a lot of work went into it.
I will have to explore it more over Christmas.

Re: Top Fan Created Quests?

PostPosted: December 1st, 2021, 5:35 pm
by Pancho
I’ll put another shout out for Mound of the Beastmen by Pan and Dungeons Dark by Whitebeard.

A few others that I don’t think have been mentioned yet;
- Solace and Redemption by The Road Warrior. 5 solo quests for a Trollslayer Dwarf, really clever mechanics and theme.
- Summons to the Wizards Council by JDean. A quest pack for the Wizard, done in the official style. Actually most of JDeans stuff is pretty awesome and worth checking out.
- The Scourge of St Mordin by Mikemacdee. Just one quest but very atmospheric.
- Some of drathe’s classics on the main website, especially Chaos Unleashed, Heir to the Black Banner and the solo quest Prince of Thieves.

Lots more but my minds gone blank again :shock:

Re: Top Fan Created Quests?

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2021, 7:44 pm
by torilen
It has been a LONG time since I've read through any others' quests...
But I do remember the Local Legends pack having some good quests in it. It was simply a community
questpack, if I remember correctly.