Page 1 of 2

[Preview] [Group Quest] - An Ancient Spell

PostPosted: March 26th, 2015, 3:24 pm
by BrutalBarracuda
Hi all, so I've been dicking around with Heroscribe and HQ Quest Creator and with a little help from Windows Publisher I've finally managed to create my very first custom quest. What do you guys think? I can't wait to give it a bash at our next games night!
Image

[ Additional components needed: +2 Chests, +1 Fireplace, +7 Pit Trap Tiles, +3 Secret Doors, +2 Tables, +1 Throne, +1 Weapons Rack

This Quest should be played with Heroes that have some extra equipment.-edit]

Re: My first custom quest

PostPosted: March 26th, 2015, 11:07 pm
by mitchiemasha
It looks like a lot would happen ton a play through of this quest. Which for me is now obviously ruined. I've read it. It's very hardcore and possibly better as a later on quest of a book.

Re: My first custom quest

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 1:33 am
by drathe
Does note F mean that the door at B is now unlocked, or do the Heroes require the Genie to open the door at B?

Re: My first custom quest

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 5:39 am
by BrutalBarracuda
Yes, i forgot to write the door at B is now unlocked. I'll amend it later. Only problem with this quest is you will need extra parts. Ive brought loads of bits off ebay i.e extra pit traps and blocked passages etc

Re: My first custom quest

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 12:55 pm
by whitebeard
I try not to read the quest details (map and notes) because I might play it sometime.

The quest intro looks good. The premise is solid and exciting and it could benefit from a few iterations on the actual text.

What "level" heroes are required? Champions? (E.g. Maxed out from the original game system)?

The document itself is beautiful! However it is an image. I'm going to start looking into a LaTeX template so we can have true vector graphics for the whole thing.

Re: My first custom quest

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 1:19 pm
by BrutalBarracuda
Thanks! It took quite a lot if messing about to get it finished but i know how to do it now so future quests will be easier to make.
As for level of hero im not really sure yet. This could probably been done from the start. I intend to make a big quest pack and probably get my own card decks made with new spells and items etc but keeping the basic rules the same. Maybe change certain monsters body points as all of them are 1BP.
But as i say this is just my first quest i tried so thought id share. I plan to add torches to the equipment deck and have certain rooms that cannot be seen unless you have a torch. I'll probably also introduce a rule where heros can only carry a certain amount of items, unless they have a satchel or something. This is why i need to make my own cards, but for the purpose of anyone who wants to download and play i'll no doubt create a list.
This is one game i always wanted as a child but my parents never got it for me, so glad i finally got myself a copy.

Re: My first custom quest

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 1:37 pm
by Count Mohawk
BrutalBarracuda wrote:Maybe change certain monsters body points as all of them are 1BP.

You're a Euro player, aren't you? I think you will find that the US system, where the higher-level monsters have more BP, is a good place to start. And of course, drathe has everything you would need for that listed on the main site.

Re: My first custom quest

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 4:04 pm
by cynthialee
That room with 12 pit traps would be a PITA if the heroes decided to attempt to loot every one. {the rules allow for a pit trap to be searched for treasure} At the power level a pack of heroes will need to be to take this dungeon down the wandering monster should not be an Ork. A Chaos Warrior or a Firmir would be more in line with the power level you have here. The Goblins are a waste of flesh in this scenario where you have them placed. They will be completely ineffectual and just a target for the most part. Now in the hallways....I would replace the Undead with Goblins and they sound an alarm when first seen...Every monster in the hallways that can get to the heroes should be on there way rapidly. Or set up the hallway areas that have double wide halls as an ambush spot.

Re: My first custom quest

PostPosted: July 19th, 2015, 7:28 am
by Daedalus
BrutalBarracuda wrote:Hi all, so I've been dicking around with Heroscribe and HQ Quest Creator and with a little help from Windows Publisher I've finally managed to create my very first custom quest. What do you guys think? I can't wait to give it a bash at our next games night!

Most importantly, how did this Quest work out with your group?

BrutalBarracuda wrote:Yes, i forgot to write the door at B is now unlocked. I'll amend it later. Only problem with this quest is you will need extra parts. Ive brought loads of bits off ebay i.e extra pit traps and blocked passages etc

Extra parts will be cool with some players, but bad news if you want your average Morcar/Zargon player to try this Quest. If you rework it, consider modifications so that only one base set is needed. For instance, swap in spear traps for some of the pit traps. This would have the added benefit of avoiding the problem cythialee mentioned using the North American rules.

BrutalBarracuda wrote:...I plan to add torches to the equipment deck and have certain rooms that cannot be seen unless you have a torch. I'll probably also introduce a rule where heros can only carry a certain amount of items, unless they have a satchel or something. This is why i need to make my own cards, but for the purpose of anyone who wants to download and play i'll no doubt create a list.
This is one game i always wanted as a child but my parents never got it for me, so glad i finally got myself a copy.

Be sure to check around in the Inn as many useful cards have already been created by other fans.

Congratulations on finally overcoming the restrictions set by your parents. ;) The imaginative fuel of childhood reapplied in adulthood rocks!

Re: My first custom quest

PostPosted: June 26th, 2016, 6:46 pm
by MadMickyG
Another thread returned from the grave!

I have extras when it comes to a quest. If I make a quest, like you have done, set yourself a limit. Such as, use the parts from two sets, or three sets.
Most of us at the Inn will probably have at least two sets, or enough parts for probably two sets. Or use parts from KK and/or RotWL, as anyone collecting will usually have either or both of these as well. I know there are some that have way more.

With your limited numbers, you can effectively plan the map then.

Liking the look of this quest, so will print it out and run through it while I am on holidays this week.
NOTE: My wife laughed when she asked my 9 year old what she was going to do on the first week of holidays with your dad home? Her response, "Going to get my Hero Quest on!" My wife was sad to know she'd lost one of the kids to the dark side. :lol: