Page 1 of 1

The Cardinal Triune

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 7:50 am
by Big Bene
Hi, this goes expecially to drathe -
dunno if this has been asked before, but I won't read through 6 pages of this subforum.
I'm wondering how to deal with the monsters in the "Warlord for Hire" quest.
They are presented as "normal" monsters standing around at marked places in the dungeon. No notes or special rules are given for them. So, by the rules, they would attack the heroes at sight, and the heroes are expected to do likewise.
But the objective of teh heroes, as given in the quest description, is to win Gruthak and his minions for the Empire.
:goblin: :goblin: :fimir: :goblin: :goblin:
I wonder how Grudthak will consider the Emperor's bid when the heroes present it covered in the blood of his men.

Re: The Cardinal Triune

PostPosted: March 4th, 2014, 6:18 pm
by drathe
Big Bene wrote:Hi, this goes expecially to drathe -
dunno if this has been asked before, but I won't read through 6 pages of this subforum.
I'm wondering how to deal with the monsters in the "Warlord for Hire" quest.
They are presented as "normal" monsters standing around at marked places in the dungeon. No notes or special rules are given for them. So, by the rules, they would attack the heroes at sight, and the heroes are expected to do likewise.
But the objective of teh heroes, as given in the quest description, is to win Gruthak and his minions for the Empire.
:goblin: :goblin: :fimir: :goblin: :goblin:
I wonder how Grudthak will consider the Emperor's bid when the heroes present it covered in the blood of his men.

The object is not to actually recruit Grudthak. Two words in the introduction are in quotes, "bid" and "payment". These are essentially euphemisms meaning the Emperor wants Grudthak dead.

Re: The Cardinal Triune

PostPosted: March 7th, 2014, 3:59 am
by Big Bene
OK, this makes sense.
I'm lightly disappointed, cause I found negotiating with a fimir a really innovative idea for your second try at questwriting, but then again, it's still up to the players how to interprete the wording of the quest description. I would think that experienced players would pick up the idea of hiring Grudthak, even if explecitely told that the emperor really only was ordering them (in an ironical way) to kill him.

Re: The Cardinal Triune

PostPosted: March 7th, 2014, 2:08 pm
by drathe
Big Bene wrote:OK, this makes sense.
I'm lightly disappointed, cause I found negotiating with a fimir a really innovative idea for your second try at questwriting, but then again, it's still up to the players how to interprete the wording of the quest description. I would think that experienced players would pick up the idea of hiring Grudthak, even if explecitely told that the emperor really only was ordering them (in an ironical way) to kill him.

I would actually enjoy playing a quest where the Heroes had to negotiate the hiring of a Fimir (or similar) warlord. Perhaps someone will create one...
Unfortunately, I wasn't that clever at the age of 13.