Page 1 of 2

Quest Setting

PostPosted: January 15th, 2014, 10:03 pm
by Redav
When creating quest packs, what do you use for your world setting and do you stick with the one?

Is there a community world on the go?

Re: Quest Setting

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 10:05 am
by torilen
I almost always use my own world - I have two fantasy worlds that I've created...each have roughly 20+ pages of
maps (8-1/2 x 11 sheets...scale is roughly 1inch = 20 miles in one, = 40 miles in the other). One has a very
fleshed out history with LOTS of npcs throughout the world...the other has a rough-draft history with only a
few characters.
One of these world is over 15 years old, in its current form - the other is about 10 years old or so...so, I've had lots
of time working on them.

Even with the HQ quest packs - I drew the world myself, basing it on the actual warhammer world map on the
back of one of the expansion packs. I placed the locations myself somewhat, though, based on what I read in the
quest packs.

I do like to use Forgotten Realms for rpg play - I've been wanting to try it for HQ, but haven't figured out how to
transfer the npc's into HQ format yet.

Of course, currently I use the Leyirin Vale setting I made (you can find that under the quests thread)...I made that
special for stuff I post here at the inn...I have three or four short quests placed in that world, and a couple of others
I've started but haven't finished.
(Special shout out - templar has designed a few parts of the Leyirin Vale setting, as well).

Re: Quest Setting

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 11:23 am
by GimmeYerGold
On that subject, I'm reviving my first post here, w/ custom map included: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1960

Torilen, do you have any of your maps posted here? That was what my first post was about. SHOW ME THE MAPS!

Image

Re: Quest Setting

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 5:02 pm
by torilen
The Leyirin Vale setting is posted here (pdf) with all the maps included.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1692


The others I don't post anywhere. Strict copyright...kept quiet...hush hush on those two worlds and
their maps. One I hope to use for story and book writing (one day), and the other I hope to use for
my own game publishing, when I FINALLY finish up my game system and get that started publishing.
(hopefully sometime this year, I say with a heavy, resigned sigh).

Re: Quest Setting

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 5:09 pm
by Goblin-King
I can't help but notice you DIDN'T separate HQ and Warhammer into two. There's big disagreement whether it's the same world or not. Plenty of good arguments for both.

But to actually answer your question, I don't really relate my quests much to the world/setting.
It's usually just Mentor telling you what is happening and what you should do.

I'll go for the HQ/WH option all in all. I try to keep it as "pure" as possible.

Re: Quest Setting

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 5:28 pm
by chaoticprime
This place and its goddamn multiple-choice forums.

Sigh. I took "Random" to also indicated "Doesn't matter."

Anyhow, I've long been of the notion that the world setting should be switched from GW to either a custom one we build around the Expansions, or to Greyhawk. If you don't know why we'd do the latter, you just need to learn about the awesomeness of Greyhawk.

I can't help but notice you DIDN'T separate HQ and Warhammer into two. There's big disagreement whether it's the same world or not. Plenty of good arguments for both.


I think that HQ is the storybook world of Warhammer. Its like a universe within a universe, where Zargon and Mentore are the human faces fictionalized to rally children against Chaos while they're young. Its like Chess, but for youths of the Empire. Like George V or Uncle Sam.

Re: Quest Setting

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 6:55 pm
by torilen
CP - do you know much about spelljammer. Now THAT would be fun for HQ, don't you think?

Re: Quest Setting

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 7:58 pm
by chaoticprime
torilen wrote:CP - do you know much about spelljammer. Now THAT would be fun for HQ, don't you think?


Psh. I'll pretend you didn't ask that and just presumed that I knew.

Also, my wife and I created the logo and a monster entry for this: http://www.magecrammer.com/

Re: Quest Setting

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 11:16 pm
by Redav
Goblin-King wrote:I can't help but notice you DIDN'T separate HQ and Warhammer into two.

I was just keeping things a bit generic.

Goblin-King wrote:There's big disagreement whether it's the same world or not.


chaoticprime wrote:This place and its goddamn multiple-choice forums.

Haha... :) Well, I've found some people whinge when you only give them one choice and I thought that this might be a topic where people could choose more than one option.

chaoticprime wrote:Anyhow, I've long been of the notion that the world setting should be switched from GW to either a custom one we build around the Expansions, or to Greyhawk. If you don't know why we'd do the latter, you just need to learn about the awesomeness of Greyhawk.

I'll try look into it. I guess my main aim was to see if there was a Ye Olde Inn community world on the boil (probably should have searched more) so I'll see if this is something similar.

chaoticprime wrote:I think that HQ is the storybook world of Warhammer. Its like a universe within a universe, where Zargon and Mentore are the human faces fictionalized to rally children against Chaos while they're young. Its like Chess, but for youths of the Empire. Like George V or Uncle Sam.

That might be plausible. I've not looked into this yet but from what I've seen, the map says it's the same? I'd simply wonder whether the map was used for the initial context and the world continued to evolve after HQ was released because HQ was probably a board game in its own right but also a hook to bring people to the war gaming genre.

Re: Quest Setting

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 11:33 pm
by chaoticprime
If its a storybook version, it would have the same map. The point is that HQ is just a children's game in an incomplete view of the world.