Page 1 of 1

World Maps for Homebrew Quests

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 11:21 am
by GimmeYerGold
After I saw the "The Old World" map for the world of Heroquest, ( http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic338777.jpg ) I wanted to draw something similar, but on a smaller scale for my own heroes' quests.
With a bit of Tolkien-inspired flourishes, here's what I came up with:

Image

(I just realized I subconsciously borrow "Moot" from The Old World map!)
My heroes are just a couple of quests in, so I have only a loose development of what these locations hold for them, but this is what I've developed so far:

Dungeonvania Ruins: Once the site of a "theme park" celebrating the last generation's historic victory over Zargon. Visitors could adventure in pretend dungeons and loot prizes from pretend monsters. Now dilapidated, real monsters have moved in.
Sarven: The town where heroes regroup between quests and purchase supplies.
Dolemhall: An archaeological site located at the entrance of old dwarven tombs.
Crater Forest: A meteor crash landed here destroying an ancient elven city. The meteor is now mined for precious metals.
Moot's Keep: Home of Moot, a sorcerer and former ally of Zargon who made his fortune as a war profiteer. After Zargon's "defeat," he established Dungeonvania as an act of goodwill to the people of Elysia.

Each location holds the possibility for a quest using the dungeon board provided with the original game system. The bridge, crater site, and foothills of the Black Thimbles are "work areas" where the heroes can earn a little gold by excavating or improving the area, with a chance to "unlock" a new quest for their next session.

I also offer gold bonuses to the players if they write back stories for their characters, or draw pictures of something that happened during each quest. I've also made some custom rules and hero skills, which I will post here soon.

Does anyone else have maps they've made for their homebrew HQ adventures?

Re: World Maps for Homebrew Quests

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 2:09 pm
by chaoticprime
I have not made such a map. On your next map, there should be a location called "Castle Devildark." Because that's where the Mad King "lives."

Re: World Maps for Homebrew Quests

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 4:58 pm
by GimmeYerGold
Mysterious! Perhaps "Devildark" is just a name to keep people away, and the castle is actually a giant bounce house. That would be a pretty "mad" thing for a king to do.

Or... it could be truly terrifying and filled to the brim with blood.

by the way, speaking of maps, the Valor Seed map on your website is truly magnificent! I'm interested in following your progress n_n

Re: World Maps for Homebrew Quests

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 5:09 pm
by torilen
How would you feel about becoming my own personal map maker. That some very good work.

Re: World Maps for Homebrew Quests

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 5:19 pm
by chaoticprime
GimmeYerGold wrote:Mysterious! Perhaps "Devildark" is just a name to keep people away, and the castle is actually a giant bounce house. That would be a pretty "mad" thing for a king to do.

Or... it could be truly terrifying and filled to the brim with blood.

by the way, speaking of maps, the Valor Seed map on your website is truly magnificent! I'm interested in following your progress n_n


The Mad King was named Devildark. He hated the picaresque in life, an then devoted his unlife to their extermination. His "tomb" is the castle--a monstrous cataphract, just like the Acropolis of Cocytus, only not hidden away in the Hells. Wayward Picaroons, Northman Reavers, Three-Fingered Braves from the Western Salt-marshes and even the very most deadly Funambulist Snipers heard the call of Castle Devildark's kingly treasure-horde.

Regarding my game map, If you thought that guy was magnificent, get a load of this: http://s619.photobucket.com/user/chaoti ... t=2&page=1

Re: World Maps for Homebrew Quests

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 6:29 pm
by GimmeYerGold
torilen wrote:How would you feel about becoming my own personal map maker. That some very good work.


Thanks! I just signed up for the Artists group, so I'd be happy to give back to the community with some artwork contributions. Feel free to message me :D

Re: World Maps for Homebrew Quests

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 7:07 pm
by GimmeYerGold
chaoticprime wrote:
The Mad King was named Devildark. He hated the picaresque in life, an then devoted his unlife to their extermination. His "tomb" is the castle--a monstrous cataphract, just like the Acropolis of Cocytus, only not hidden away in the Hells. Wayward Picaroons, Northman Reavers, Three-Fingered Braves from the Western Salt-marshes and even the very most deadly Funambulist Snipers heard the call of Castle Devildark's kingly treasure-horde.


Grim n' grisly--this backstory definitely qualifies as "brimming with blood." You got some serious worldbuilding chops, chaoticprime.

chaoticprime wrote:
Regarding my game map, If you thought that guy was magnificent, get a load of this: http://s619.photobucket.com/user/chaoti ... t=2&page=1


Those town maps are real gems! I'm now following your blog in excited anticipation.

Re: World Maps for Homebrew Quests

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 11:58 pm
by chaoticprime
GimmeYerGold wrote:
Those town maps are real gems! I'm now following your blog in excited anticipation.


Hahahahahahah. Thank you.