Page 1 of 1

Potions with random effect

PostPosted: April 10th, 2016, 9:11 am
by Maike05
Hi guys,

I'm designing new treasure cards and I need your assistance to design a few treasure cards. I need to come up with the random effects for 3 potions with 1D6:
-Unknown beverage
3
-Mushrooms
363
-Dwarf beer
1671

Can you come up with their effects in HeroQuest style ? :)

Re: Potions with random effect

PostPosted: April 10th, 2016, 9:28 am
by Maike05
I would also need a card description for the effect of these potions:

Potion 1
260

Potion 2
227
I think of something like holy water with alternative effect. Maybe for vampire-like ceratures ?

Potion 3
258

I really their artwork, thanks again Goblin-King!

Re: Potions with random effect

PostPosted: April 10th, 2016, 10:18 am
by knightkrawler
Unknown Beverage
Stuffed into the tip of a stinking Goblin boot you find a tiny flask with a matt black liquid in it.
Even though you don't know what it is, you decide to drink it immediately.
Roll a combat die.
On a skull you lose 1 Body point, on a white shield you gain 1 lost Body point, on a black shield you gain 2 lost Body points.

Mushrooms
Under a loose tile on the floor you happen upon some glowing mushrooms.
Having heard interesting things about some species, you take a portion with you.
You may eat them any time to gain a number of up to 4 lost Body points.
However, the effect has its downside, and you lose 1 Mind point for every Body point you want to regain.

Dwarf Beer
- same effect as rock skin? -

Re: Potions with random effect

PostPosted: April 10th, 2016, 12:08 pm
by Maike05
I really like the description you gave :)


For the mysterious potion, I like the idea of using a combat dice, thanks!

Alternatively, I was maybe thinking of rolling 1D6 and determine any of the game system potions, what do you think ?
1 Potion of force
2 Healing potion
3 Heroic Brew
4 Holy water
5 Potion of speed
6 Poison !

For the dwarf beer, in my opinion you should have a chance to have a nasty effect due to the strenghtness of the beer. If you're a dwarf you may ignore the nasty effect. I like the idea that the beer could have the same effect as one of the game system spell, being in my opinion Rock skin and Courage.

Dwarven beer:
Inside a small oak barrel circled of silver and closed with a big cork, you find a brown and bubbly liquid. You recognize it immediately due to its unique smell, it is the famous dwarven beer ! You can drink the beverage at any time and roll a die :
1-2 The beer has the same effect as Rock skin spell
3-4 The beer has the same effect as Courage spell
5-6 The beer is too strong for you and you pass your turn and lose 1 BP because you're drunk.
If you're a dwarf, you roll instead 1-3 ; 4-5 ; 6.

Re: Potions with random effect

PostPosted: April 10th, 2016, 1:28 pm
by Anderas
In a pile of rubbish old stuff, you find a potion that you just don't know.

You can drink the potion at any time. When you do so, take treasure cards until the first potion or hazard. Use that effect.
Return that card to the treasure deck. Discard this potion.


Are these pics available 7n a decent resolution? I think they are great!

Re: Potions with random effect

PostPosted: April 10th, 2016, 3:45 pm
by cynthialee
I have a player who loves to risk it with potions of unknown properties. She has tested fate so many times I have resolved that the next time she does this silly act she will suffer a fate worse than death! (I am going to polymorph her beautiful Elf Male self into a hideous female ork. '-5 Looks dice' is what I will say for flavor text.)

She is never in danger when she tries unknown potions. She could pay to have them identified in town, or give them to the Wizard for further study...nope...gotta try it now and see what happens!

Re: Potions with random effect

PostPosted: April 10th, 2016, 3:46 pm
by Count Mohawk
I actually have a variety of different alcohols designed in my Hero Quest mod set:
  • Barbarian Mead: Heals 1 Body Point. This mead can only be drunk on your own turn, and it cannot save you if your Body Points are reduced to 0. Costs 50 gold coins.
  • Empire Rum: Heals 1 Body Point, but also costs you 1 Mind Point. Costs 50 gold coins.
  • Orcish Grog: Heals 1 Body Point; then roll Combat Dice equal to your starting Body Points. Unless a Walrus ( :blackshield: ) is rolled, you become drunk and roll one fewer Defend dice for the rest of the Quest. Costs 50 gold coins.
  • Dwarven Ale: Heals 3 Body Points; then roll two red dice. Unless you roll less than or equal to your starting Body Points, you pass out and must skip your next two turns. Dwarven Ale can only be drunk safely once per Quest, unless the drinker is a Dwarf. Costs 150 gold coins.
For the curious, the Barbarian has a 23% chance of getting drunk off Orcish Grog, while the Wizard has a 48% of the same.

Re: Potions with random effect

PostPosted: April 10th, 2016, 7:47 pm
by Goblin-King
Maike05 wrote:I really their artwork, thanks again Goblin-King!

No problem. I'm happy to see people using these images |_P

Anderas wrote:Are these pics available 7n a decent resolution? I think they are great!

I still have the original drawings for my images. I'm not gonna re-scan everything though as there are quite a lot.
Anyone in particular you'd want?
And in what size (pixels x pixels)?

Re: Potions with random effect

PostPosted: April 10th, 2016, 8:26 pm
by mukami
Maike05 wrote:I would also need a card description for the effect of these potions:

Potion 1


Potion 2

I think of something like holy water with alternative effect. Maybe for vampire-like ceratures ?

Potion 3



Potion 2 could be "Potion of Holy Light" This white glowing potion, when thrown generates a flash of light that deals 3 body points of damage to any undead creatures. All other monsters are temporarily blinded causing them to lose one attack die their next turn.

Re: Potions with random effect

PostPosted: April 11th, 2016, 12:50 am
by Anderas
Thanks GK!
The three potions of Maike's second posting would be good, in 800x600 black and white if possible.