Page 1 of 2

Character boards as Cards

PostPosted: July 25th, 2015, 7:51 pm
by GimmeYerGold
Since I'm making custom cards for equipment, spells, etc., I thought it would be easier to include custom characters cards in this similar format.

This saves room on the table, room in your storage box, and also the lack of a picture allows the player to assume their own identity as each Hero.

Image


Image

Re: Character boards as Cards

PostPosted: July 26th, 2015, 8:26 am
by QorDaq
Good call. It also gives players the option, by drawing a card, of selecting random characters to play if they so desire. Especially if you have a lot of the expanded universe (Fan created) classes in the mix.

maj!

Re: Character boards as Cards

PostPosted: July 27th, 2015, 10:04 am
by cornixt
I don't know why more people haven't done that. I guess they like to match the originals. I like it.

Re: Character boards as Cards

PostPosted: July 27th, 2015, 11:00 am
by GimmeYerGold
Thanks cornixt, thanks QorDaq! |_P |_P

I have some more Hero cards like this for custom character classes and I will share them here too when I get to my home computer.

I've taken a page from Heroquest Prime, and removed any race-specific titles from the characters, now Dwarf = Rogue, Elf = Ranger, so the players are free to choose their character's race, gender, etc.

For sake of simplicity, it has no in-game effect, however, if they wish to use their character's race/gender as part of the storytelling or roleplaying, they are more than welcome to do so. It is encouraged :D

Re: Character boards as Cards

PostPosted: July 27th, 2015, 2:28 pm
by cornixt
That's what I did too, although I went even more extreme and replaced all of the weapons and armour with fighting skills so that any vaguely suitable model would work - gets rid of the weirdness of an armoured barbarian with an axe being represented by a near-naked man with a sword.

On a similar aspect, I'd make it clear that the attack/defend dice on the card represents their unarmed values, since any equipment will alter it.

Re: Character boards as Cards

PostPosted: July 27th, 2015, 2:39 pm
by GimmeYerGold
cornixt wrote: On a similar aspect, I'd make it clear that the attack/defend dice on the card represents their unarmed values, since any equipment will alter it.


This is a good idea! Even my players who have played several games will forget this.

How did you word it, and where did you place it on the card?

Re: Character boards as Cards

PostPosted: July 27th, 2015, 3:29 pm
by The Road Warrior
I like these. I've been planning on doing something similar for quite a long time, but using them as a card sleeve. That way, between sessions each player could gather up their cards and keep them safe in their hero card sleeve ready for the next session. Not really relevant to NA players that don't have equipment cards, but an idea you may be interested in.

Of course if you HQ with more than one group then it's a bit of a crap idea.

Re: Character boards as Cards

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 7:02 am
by slev
Already doing it, I'm using double sized "tarot" sized cards for this (3.5"x5").

My HQR have the stats on one side, and the flavour on the back. The advanced versions have novice stats on one side and Champion stats on the other.

Re: Character boards as Cards

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 9:53 am
by StratosVX
I think this is a great idea. Do you by any chance have a template file that you'd be willing to share?

Re: Character boards as Cards

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 10:39 am
by GimmeYerGold
StratosVX wrote:I think this is a great idea. Do you by any chance have a template file that you'd be willing to share?


Thank you! yes! Let me get to my computer and I'll upload them as Photoshop layer Templates



UPDATE: Here's a link to the 10 custom cards I put together, plus the template: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6zGYN ... sp=sharing