Page 1 of 3

Boots

PostPosted: July 14th, 2015, 8:58 am
by Anderas
Lemmeron's presentation of equipment cards had made me thinking.
Thanks Lemmeron.

There's almost no equipment card dealing with movement.

If you are willing to change the entire equipment, and incorporate different movement penalties for heavy armor than today, you could very well go with Lemmeron's suggestion and invent boots that allow you to reduce the movement penalties.

If you are not willing to go that far, why not giving Boots other advantages?
They are a good gold sink, beside other effects.

My current ideas are:

Simple Shoes: If you roll a 2 for movement, you may reroll your movement dice. 50 Gold.

Leather Boots: If you roll 3 or less for movement, you may reroll one or both dice. 100 Gold.

Customized Shoes: If you roll 4 or less for movement, you may reroll one or both dice. 175 Gold. You may not sell this card, and if you give it to another hero, that hero receives "Leather Boots" instead. Discard this card after four quests and take "Leather Boots" instead.

Customized hiqh quality Shoes: If may reroll each of your movement dice once per turn. If you try to jump a trap, you may reroll the die. 400 Gold. You may not sell this card, and if you give it to another hero, that hero receives "Leather Boots" instead. After four quests, discard this card and take "Customized Shoes" instead.

Re: Boots

PostPosted: July 14th, 2015, 10:07 am
by cynthialee
Good ideas. Would fit onto a card. Which is kinda vital.

The only movement mods I have used are "Light weight plate armor", "roll three keep 2" and "Re-roll any 1's". Never thought to use high quality gear as the reason for the modifier. (except for tailored plate mail)

Re: Boots

PostPosted: July 14th, 2015, 10:11 pm
by Lemmeron
Another way you could do it with boots using your ideas

simple shoes - changes the characters minimum movement roll to 3 (thus rolling :roll1: :roll1: counts as 3 rather than 2)
leather boots - increases the minimum character movement to 4 (thus rolling :roll1: :roll1: or :roll1: :roll2: counts as rolling 4)
customized shoes - increases minimum to 5 or adds 1 to movement to your single die roll while wearing plate mail (so now 2-7 movement rather than 1-6)
Customized hiqh quality Shoes - increases minimum to 6 and heroes now fail a pit trap jump if they roll :blackshield: ( :whiteshield: if wearing plate) or adds 2 to extra movement to plate mail single die rolls. (so now 3-8 movement rather than 1-6)

this way there are no additional dice rolls occuring

Re: Boots

PostPosted: July 15th, 2015, 6:43 am
by Tott
Boots of the Long Path
The magic of these sturdy Mithril boots makes the wearer even lighter on their feet!
Allows one extra dice to be rolled in defence. Negates all effects that impair or reduce movement. May not be used by the wizard.

Graceful Woven Sandals
Made from fine Elven silks, these simple sandals are incredibly comfortable and far more durable than they seem.
Allows the wearer to move diagonally.

The Boots of Escapement
A strange pair of leather boots, well worn on the heels.
Increases all movement rolls by 6, but only when the wearer is down to two or less body points.

Re: Boots

PostPosted: October 11th, 2015, 4:16 pm
by Daedalus
Anderas wrote:Leather Boots: If you roll 3 or less for movement, you may reroll one or both dice. 100 Gold.

I like this idea best, as it offers a chance to eliminate a few of the most miserable dice rolls. Since one shield, helmet, and set of lock picks is sufficient in HQ, one movement piece of equipment should do, I think.

As a Hero will likely benefit a few times from Leather Boots in a Quest, I'd consider bumping the price. Alternatively, allow the benefit of Leather Boots to wear out if a third 1 results from a reroll, similar to the Elven Boots artifact from the EQP.

Leather Boots greatly lessen the penalty for plate mail. Is this done puposely? If not, I'd add something like "...or roll 1 with plate mail,..."


.
Leather Boots


Image

If you roll 3 or less for movement or roll
1 with plate mail, you may reroll one or
both dice. The boots wear out if a 1
results from a reroll.
.
.
Cost 100 gold coins
.
.

Re: Boots

PostPosted: October 12th, 2015, 2:03 am
by Anderas
Thanks for your feedback!


You're right. If we lessen the penalty for the plate mail of the original game, they should be more expensive.

In my set, I intend to have at least two helmets, maybe also two shields, and in addition to chain mail and plate mail, two more body armors. They will not enhance the maximum defense a Hero can achieve, but instead provide steps in between the current set.

They will work as additional money sink and lessen the height of the steps in Hero progression.

Re: Boots

PostPosted: October 12th, 2015, 4:04 am
by The Road Warrior
I must have missed this topic when you started it. I really like the idea of being able to buy boots that lessen the penalty of plate armour. It's something I might have to add to my game. |_P

Re: Boots

PostPosted: October 12th, 2015, 5:09 am
by Goblin-King
I'm fine with the addition and abilities of the new shoes. However...

The naming is terrible. Sorry but that's just the way I feel.

Simple shoes: Are the heroes running around barefoot until they equip these? It doesn't go any lower than "simple shoes" except maybe "rags". Simple shoes are what the heroes are already wearing in my opinion.
Leather boots: Kinda the same as above, but okay I guess.
customized shoes/Customized hiqh quality Shoes: All I can think of when I hear that is ugly orthopedic shoes...

Image

Tott has the right idea with his names though |_P
I get that the naming is in the vein of having standard equipment be ordinary non-magical gear, like Shield and longsword.
If you want to keep it ordinary, how about Sandals, Leather boots, greaves, plated boots, War Boots etc... Something that makes the players actually want to buy them ;)

Re: Boots

PostPosted: October 12th, 2015, 5:24 am
by The Road Warrior
I was considering 'Boots of Estalian Leather'

cookie for the first person to get the reference...

Re: Boots

PostPosted: October 12th, 2015, 5:38 am
by knightkrawler
The Road Warrior wrote:I was considering 'Boots of Estalian Leather'

cookie for the first person to get the reference...


Is Spanish leather a thing. I thought Italian was. And the Old World's version of Italy is Tilea, while Estalia is close to Spain, in GW's weird way of using clichés.