Page 1 of 2

Expanded Armory & Spell Shop

PostPosted: January 21st, 2014, 11:43 pm
by GimmeYerGold
I've been working on this for a bit, with some helpful pointers from sajungzak and Sjeng. I think it's close to finished:

Image

(All custom art additions are either photoshopped items from the armory or modified Gary Chalk Lone Wolf images)

A handful of notes:

1) The "Library Spells" referenced in the Spell Shop are the WoM & Elf Quest spells, all shuffled together in one deck.

2) The rule for Two-Weapon Proficiency is the closest I can come to a balanced dual-wielding ability without getting too complicated--the two attacks still allow the monster to defend twice, which is a little more fair than stacking 5 combat die against one defense attempt. Also offers a little more fun if there's an adjacent monster to attack if the first attack slays one right away.

3) Went with something unconventionally conventional for the horn--one player could soften up a monster's mind points with the horn, while a spellcaster readies a status-ailment spell, etc. (or just go all the way, and leave a vegetable monster standing stupefied)

4) The skeleton key is a cheaper option for someone only interested in treasure hidden in trapped chests/cupboards/behind locked doors--it's been 7 quests in my game, and no one has bought the tool kit--they just expect the dwarf to take care of everything :/

5) The only other thing I can think of is possibly coloring the b/w images on the left side, and a tweak here or there to prices/powers.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Re: Expanded Armory & Spell Shop

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 12:39 am
by Teldurn
The skeleton key is a neat idea but how is it different than a toolkit, just cheaper?
Also, the drop shadow on the key and the cloak are different than all the other items, but that is picking tiny nits.

Re: Expanded Armory & Spell Shop

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 12:42 am
by GimmeYerGold
Teldurn wrote:The skeleton key is a neat idea but how is it different than a toolkit, just cheaper?


It can only disarm furniture traps and trapped doors, not traps that are activated by walking on floor tiles (pits, floor spear traps, falling rocks, etc.)

Re: Expanded Armory & Spell Shop

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 5:14 am
by Sjeng
Great work! :D

Re: Expanded Armory & Spell Shop

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 12:52 pm
by Teldurn
GimmeYerGold wrote:
Teldurn wrote:The skeleton key is a neat idea but how is it different than a toolkit, just cheaper?


It can only disarm furniture traps and trapped doors, not traps that are activated by walking on floor tiles (pits, floor spear traps, falling rocks, etc.)

Aha! Excellent differentiation. I really like that! :)

Re: Expanded Armory & Spell Shop

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 5:42 pm
by Maike05
Excellent armory ! I like the training hall! I'll try to put it on the blog as well.

Re: Expanded Armory & Spell Shop

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 7:16 am
by Sjeng
Good diea! Already posted it. It's thursday, resources day, so I thought I'd just go ahead and post it right away. ;)

Re: Expanded Armory & Spell Shop

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 10:53 am
by GimmeYerGold
Awesome! Thanks for featuring the armory on the HQ blog!

I'll nearing final version completion of my HQ revisions: (cards, rules, art, etc.) and will post all that in some easily digestible fashion for everyone soon *nomnomnomnom*

Re: Expanded Armory & Spell Shop

PostPosted: December 29th, 2015, 3:19 pm
by yellowmosquito
Hi GimmerYerGold,

I have been looking at multiple armory expansions, and yours has certainly captured my interest. I like that it leaves the original armory intact, while extending "end game" equipment (but without obviously imbalancing the game). I'm very much a fan of drathe's equipment cards for the game system armory. Ideally, I was also hoping to find cards like those for the expanded armory that I ultimately decided to use.

I was wondering if you ever completed this project? Did you ever create the cards, rules, art, etc that you mentioned in your last post?

If not, I would be willing to help out in creating cards ( provided that I can obtain permission to reuse the resources used by drathe and the assets already contained in your armory files) for North America. Staying true the original art style is important to me.

Let me know when you can,

ym

Re: Expanded Armory & Spell Shop

PostPosted: December 29th, 2015, 4:16 pm
by GimmeYerGold
Hey Yellow Mosquito!

Sure, here is my latest Armory, and a link to matching cards: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3210

Let me know if that armory is high enough resolution for you.

Happy Questing!