Page 1 of 1

Skill Cards Set 2

PostPosted: November 27th, 2013, 10:11 am
by torilen
I've been working hard on these - trying to shift all of my expanded characters and their abilities into
a card-based system. So far, it is working. And I haven't had to add a LOT of new rules to the game,
which is the goal here.

Here is set two. These are Priestly Skills and Druidic Skills.

Examples:
Laying on of Hands
Throughout the quest, the hero may heal himself or another hero up to 4 Body Points. The hero will use the Body Point Tokens to determine how many Body Points have been healed. 2 Body Points of healing may be used to heal 1 point of Poison or Disease damage. 3 Body Points of healing may be used to heal 1 Mind Point.

Turn Animals
Once per quest, the hero can target all animals within sight. The hero may roll 4 combat dice, treating the roll as a normal combat roll. If the animal would take damage, it flees the hero at full movement. If the Turn roll results in more than 2 successful dice over what it would take to make the animal flee, the animal becomes an ally for the next turn. If this card is stacked with other Turn Animal cards, the hero may roll 1 additional combat die for each additional card.

Animal Language: Wolf
This card gives the hero knowledge and use of the language of the wolf. The hero will be able to speak to a wolf as if it were another person.
This skill is not a one-use item; the hero keeps this card at all times and may use this bonus to his roll any time.

Endure Fairy Tricks
Because of his closeness with nature, the druidic hero has a better association with fey and fairy creatures, as well.
When a fey creature uses any mind-effecting ability against a druidic hero, that hero gets 2 additional combat dice to roll against the effect.


EDIT: 11-29-13 - I fixed the issue with Consecrate, giving it a duration. I also remade the cards, giving them increasing levels of ability - a
hero would start with level 1, and can either choose level 1 again for another use of the skill, or can increase a level 1 to higher levels of
ability.
Hope that works a bit better...I think it will.


skill cards set 2 revised.pdf

Re: Skill Cards Set 2

PostPosted: November 28th, 2013, 4:35 pm
by Daedalus
Gaining a skill card every 3 Quests seems to work out okay for the Druid on first glance. I don't really know how you plan to implement them in your game, but languages seem a bit underpowered to me. Maybe combine some animal laguages, such as canine and wolf, or expand some groups, such as domesticated animals or wild herbivore.

It seems a card can be taken more than once, as with Turn Animals. Is there a limit to how many cards there are of one specific type? I'm thinking about Laying on Hands. If there isn't a limit, a Priest can have as many as 8 of this powerful ability after finishing RotWL. That seems a whole lot more useful than a selection of the Druid cards. Perhaps his lack armor and offensive spells offsets this, but I think it would be hard for a Morcar/Zargon player to cope with Heroes that were always in good health. Your mention of disease and poison would certainly tax a Priest Hero's casting, but not every Quest will feature these balances. Maybe it's just me, but I'm always wary of a Healing spell being set equally with other spells/abilities.

Does Consecration last 1 round of turns?

Overall I think cards is a good way to go. However, after playing Warhammer Quest for about 5 battle levels, I felt there were too many cards to keep track of. Being of that mindset, I'd caution against having too many cards in front of a player at higher Quest numbers. Maybe a number of lesser cards could be traded in for a more powerful card. That might work well with D&D inspired spells, and should keep the card count down.

Re: Skill Cards Set 2

PostPosted: November 28th, 2013, 9:29 pm
by torilen
I'll take a look at healing and consecration.
I think I did forget to put the duration on there for consecration.

As for healing - I'll have to check my rpg rules to see how I worked it out for a hero taking that
more than once. I think I had left it because, yes, it does make it much more useful, but not a lot of players
are going to be willing to make the sacrifice to be able to heal a lot.

For the languages - they don't have a lot of use game-wise as most play HQ...you'd have to really add in some
role-playing situations. I added those more for flavor and role-playing, and to allow heroes who wish to play
druids to really build on their character and make it a "real person" in the game.

I may try to come up with a quest or two that can showcase those. Not sure if anyone would want to play them though? ;)

Re: Skill Cards Set 2

PostPosted: November 29th, 2013, 10:41 am
by torilen
Okay, revised set 2 and reposted the cards. Hope they're a bit better now.
As always, I'll take comments :)

Re: Skill Cards Set 2

PostPosted: January 21st, 2014, 2:19 pm
by Daedalus
Since animal languages are for role playing, I don't think making them cheaper to aquire would unbalance the game. My call would be to allow a single animal language skill to be gotten after just 1 Quest. Unfortunately, that would upset the progression scheme that uses multiples of 3. A compromise would be to allow 2 or even 3 animal language skills after 3 Quests.

Re: Skill Cards Set 2

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 9:12 pm
by torilen
I may not have changed it on all of the sets...I am explain with each set now that some skills are more
for combat situations (actually good for the game) and some are more for the role-playing side of things,
should the group want to add more of that into their game.
I've explained that, if the Game Master wants to and the group decides as a whole to do so, the heroes can
take one skill for combat/magic/etc. AND one skill for role-playing. That way, there doesn't have to be
different times when skills can be taken (which can get confusing) and it allows for all skills to be utilized
by the heroes.