Page 1 of 2

Spearman's Shield

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 10:09 am
by Templar
New idea for a shield:
Spearmans shield.JPG

Any thoughts?

Re: Spearman's Shield

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 1:29 pm
by Goblin-King
I like it. It adds a lot of strategy in how to avoid being caught in the range of a free attack.
The user becomes a very unattractive target for the monsters. Yet it doesn't become too overpowered as you have to use the spear to attack.

This is new content done right! It doesn't really scale up the game, but simply adds an interesting alternative to just pursuing the highest amount of attack dice. Well done.

Re: Spearman's Shield

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 1:51 pm
by knightkrawler
I second that.
Well done, not overpowered (only 2 AD), but a whole new strategic outlook...

Re: Spearman's Shield

PostPosted: May 5th, 2013, 3:10 pm
by Templar
Thanks guys |_P
Glad you liked it!

Re: Spearman's Shield

PostPosted: May 6th, 2013, 8:51 pm
by Daedalus
Do you intend that the attack in Zargon's/Morcar's turn be an early attack or an extra attack? By this I mean will the wielder get an attack on his turn as well, or is his only attack moved forward to Zargon's/Morcar's turn?

Re: Spearman's Shield

PostPosted: May 7th, 2013, 3:48 am
by Goblin-King
It's an additional attack. But a little clarification on the card would be in order.

Re: Spearman's Shield

PostPosted: May 7th, 2013, 7:06 am
by Templar
How about this change:
Spearman's Shield wrote:...If you are also using a spear you may make a free close combat attack against a monster that, for the first time that round...

Re: Spearman's Shield

PostPosted: May 14th, 2013, 4:47 pm
by Daedalus
That clears it up pretty well. I actually prefer the attack to only work against a monster that is specifically attacking the spear wielder. I wouldn't have the bonus attack trigger against a monster that moves in range of the spear but either attacks another Hero or simply doestn't make an aggressive move against the spear weilder. Attacking safely from a diagonal is enough of a benefit. Having a spearman's shield in this case doesn't justify an extra attack (for me) if the monster doesn't aggressively move at the spear wielder protected by the specialty shield. I think the spearman's shield then reverts to a basic shield in this case, allowing no special ability.

I would even prefer there wasn't a bonus attack. This feels overpowered to me (though the ability doesn't always function, which helps). Seeing as a skull is likely, and most monsters will only sometimes defend it, I think allowing the attack to go early like an ambush is already an effective benefit. A dead monster can't attack back, so this magnifies the usefulness of the defensive benefit significantly. I'm mainly thinking the 1 Body Point monsters here, but getting in an extra Body Point early can mean a kill against multiple BP monsters in the Hero's turn as well. I also think extra attacks could be abused with door-guarding. [edit] Playtesting would be more useful than my conjectures, however. I have been shown to miss the mark a bit in the past, and maybe I'm just getting reactionary.

For your consideration, here's a reworded alternative:

The Spearman's shield gives you
one extra combat die in defence.
If you are also using a spear and a
monster moves into an adjacent
square to attack you, you may use
your next action immediately to
attack it first.

Cost: 250 Gold Coins
May not be used by the Wizard.
Shield


I'm starting to think this weaker ability could work for the spear alone. I may have to steal it. :) [edit]

Re: Spearman's Shield

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 5:05 pm
by Templar
Daedalus wrote:I actually prefer the attack to only work against a monster that is specifically attacking the spear wielder...

...allowing the attack to go early like an ambush is already an effective benefit.

Good inputs. As long as it is some sort of counter-charge benefit, I will be happy with it. And as you say, playtesting is the only true way to find out what would work.
If I may misquote Richard Feynman: "Playtesting is the only true judge of game balance." (Real quote - Experiment is the sole judge of scientific truth.)
:ugeek: :mrgreen:
Daedalus wrote:I'm starting to think this weaker ability could work for the spear alone. I may have to steal it. :)

By all means :D

Re: Spearman's Shield

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 6:36 pm
by chaoticprime
These are also called teardrop or viking kite shields. They were usually made from wood and canvas, with a metal boss. Their height was mostly for catching arrows. The notch at the top was only fit on shields used for the joust, and makes not sense on this type of shield. A spearman's shield would be tall with a metal facade designed to turn away thrusts made against it, not trap them like a shield with a boss would do. A shield made for thrusting a spear through would look like this--http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-14991-trojan-war-shield.aspx