Page 1 of 3

Game board for this quest?

PostPosted: April 17th, 2022, 2:11 pm
by Nlinindoll
I’ve looked in the image gallery, and while I have found a nice center room tile for this quest, I’m surprised no one has made a unique game board image for this quest. Has anyone seen one out there in the inter webs?

Re: Game board for this quest?

PostPosted: April 17th, 2022, 5:58 pm
by lestodante
Not yet, but I've just discovered someone that has great skills at drawing with the same style of the original tiles.
I will ask him if he's available to draw one (actually he's a bit busy at painting stuff for another quest pack).
Please suggest ideas about the concept of the tile.

Re: Game board for this quest?

PostPosted: April 17th, 2022, 10:34 pm
by Nlinindoll
lestodante wrote:Not yet, but I've just discovered someone that has great skills at drawing with the same style of the original tiles.
I will ask him if he's available to draw one (actually he's a bit busy at painting stuff for another quest pack).
Please suggest ideas about the concept of the tile.


Well, I made a key/guide based on the Quest Notes labeling what each room or area should be. I also dropped in Rob Capper's Pool tile. Rob Capper's Inn of Chaos Pool/pond tile for the center area of the map already which may provide inspiration. You can find that here: http://north-american.yeoldeinn.com/tiles-capper.php
I like the "The Streets" Game Board by Sjeng which might be a source of inspiration. You can see that here: gallery/image.php?album_id=23&image_id=448
But that Board shows the outsides of buildings, where I think this one should be more of the inside of the Inn and other buildings. It's also very brown and tan. I think there should be more green.

All of the colored in areas, that would normally be stone in a dungeon should be outdoors, grass, field, the outside of the inn. Likewise, the stairs could be illustrated into the board, but should look more like a wooden staircase in a building rather than a dungeon.

Image

Re: Game board for this quest?

PostPosted: April 18th, 2022, 7:30 am
by lestodante
Ah, but were you talking about a complete new game board? I was speaking of redrawing only the central tile.
That one you posted says "Dragon Magazine 2003 - Illustrated by Mike May"

Re: Game board for this quest?

PostPosted: April 18th, 2022, 11:15 am
by j_dean80
Only problem with a complete board like you are talking is it gives away the “what comes next?” It’s just all revealed.

Re: Game board for this quest?

PostPosted: April 18th, 2022, 12:15 pm
by Kurgan
As cool as it looks, for me it starts to get into the problem of having a custom board for every single quest after awhile that have new room tiles.

Re: Game board for this quest?

PostPosted: April 18th, 2022, 12:58 pm
by Nlinindoll
j_dean80 wrote:Only problem with a complete board like you are talking is it gives away the “what comes next?” It’s just all revealed.


Couldn't the same be said for a lot of the custom boards that are shared here: gallery/album.php?album_id=23

Kurgan wrote:As cool as it looks, for me it starts to get into the problem of having a custom board for every single quest after awhile that have new room tiles.


I think what sets this one a part is that most of the other quests take place in a dungeon, below ground. Or in a castle where the aesthetic of the base game's board make sense, and unique tiles/boards aren't needed. Here, in Inn of Chaos, we have a quest that takes place above ground at an Inn. I think it lends itself well to a custom board.

Re: Game board for this quest?

PostPosted: April 18th, 2022, 1:08 pm
by Kurgan
Despite the fondness many have for the Inn of Chaos, it's not really an "official" quest as I see it credited to Greg Frewer in Adventures Unlimited Magazine #5 (a fanzine, in 1996), as opposed to some other popular "published" quests that appeared in White Dwarf magazine (at least this is the official magazine of GamesWorkShop), the Marvel Comics winter special (officially licensed) or in the Dave Morris novels (despite many fans considering them "non-canon" because of anomalies with the Warhammer fantasy geography, though I don't see the problem there since HeroQuest isn't necessarily dependent upon any Warhammer Fantasy source(s)).

It reminds me of how there are people who want a unique miniature and card for each special character. It's up to you, but to me you don't need it and the original intention is to use a custom tile (and use placeholder miniatures). Do whatever you want of course. HeroQuest has never given us a new board when there's a new quest room, instead they give us a room tile, at best, or just use your imagination since the board can be anything, it doesn't have to be just an underground dungeon.

Agree or disagree, Phoenix lists even the White Dwarf and Dave Morris quests under "unofficial" (the methodology makes sense... if it was an official boxed release that's different than if it was distributed under some other format).

It opens up a bigger question... are limited edition releases "official" for HeroQuest? Or does "official" (in terms of "canon") have much meaning?

But if we're talking about whether it was a fan creation or something officially licensed to be sold under the HeroQuest trademark, I think the answer would be "no." Seems like a lot for something used in one quest, but if you want a customer board for it, by all means, create it... !

Re: Game board for this quest?

PostPosted: April 18th, 2022, 1:31 pm
by Nlinindoll
Kurgan wrote:Despite the fondness many have for the Inn of Chaos, it's not really an "official" quest as I see it credited to Greg Frewer in Adventures Unlimited Magazine #5 (a fanzine, in 1996).


Edited my previous post. You make a valid point.

Either way, all of that is besides the original point of my request. There's a gallery of custom boards here on Ye Olde Inn. The "Inn of Chaos" quest is different than a lot of other quests (official or unofficial) in that it doesn't take place in a dungeon, keep, castle or cavern. I think it lends itself well to a differently designed game board... an above ground board. There are several similar ones found in the gallery. If anyone has seen one that fits well for "Inn of Chaos", I'm interested. :-)

Re: Game board for this quest?

PostPosted: April 18th, 2022, 1:57 pm
by Kurgan
One could always imagine it was a cozy, underground inn... ;)

To make it look above ground, you could paint grass textures outside the walls I suppose. The blood, bones and stones could still be there in a inn that has been trashed and corrupted as much as the one in that quest has... I think the Inn itself has some alternate board layouts that look a bit more "wooden" that might be appropriate for some kind of imagined above ground hotel.