Page 1 of 1

Advice: Space Crusade and Advanced Space Crusade

PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 11:24 am
by Jonny 5
Hello,

So I bought both of these games recently. I had them both as a kid but only really played the normal version as by the time I'd worked out the rules for the Adv version I'd moved on to warhammer (plus I then realised you actually needed a load more models to play it properly).

Anyway, I'll be playing these this weekend and wondered if any of you would please share your thoughts on the following:

Normal Space Crusade:
The points/campaign system seems a little unbalanced especially if you are only playing with one set of marines.
There are a few combos that seem a little over-powered (powerfist/force sword/meltabomb for example) would you disallow any?
Are there any house rules /restrictions you would used to enhance the game (I like the fact that it is simple!!)?

Advanced:
I've never played this but really like the idea of the reaction rules and the setting and I've always wanted a game plus am quite excited so please don't tell me it's rubbish and flawed!!!

Could you clarify the Grabber Slasher attack rule please? - It says you only get 1d12 on the first jumping CC attack...is this right? Normally it gets 2d12 plus a modifier of 5 I think. Surely it will just die when it jumps in and not get to use it's good CC ability...

Any thoughts for tactics to use for the tyranid player? Which units are the best performers in general? I'm currently going for 10 nid blips, 6 GS hybrids blips, 2 ork squads and 2 chaos marine squad. I was thinking of putting mind slaves in the ambush boxes...

Thanks for you help.

Re: Advice: Space Crusade and Advanced Space Crusade

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2016, 2:56 am
by Goblin-King
Only plays normal SC

The point system IS unbalanced, and playing anything but 3 squads of marines really screws it up way too much.
My advice here is really to save the game for when you have the adequate amount of players.

On one hand fewer than 3 squads, and they get way too many points, as there are a finite amount and now there's one less to share with.
The possible amount for the Alien player is also reduced as there are fewer marines.
But then again, the Aliens only has to concentrate on fewer squads meaning a wipe is more likely.

Besides it's pretty much a beer and pretzel game. With those dice your "tactics" don't count for much anyways.
It's really a better game if you just accept this and don't spend an eternity planning ahead and optimizing every move.

I think the OP combos are fine. The meltabomb is a one time nuke to take out the big droid.
Besides the game seems to be slightly skewed towards the Alien player, so it kinda evens out.
But when he starts to get a lot of reinforcements, that's also more points for the player. The marines' net worth doesn't increase.

Can't suggest any house rules... We play it vanilla. Works fine for our group.

Re: Advice: Space Crusade and Advanced Space Crusade

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2016, 3:36 am
by Jonny 5
Thanks :)

Re: Advice: Space Crusade and Advanced Space Crusade

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2016, 2:12 pm
by Gold Bearer
Jonny 5 wrote:There are a few combos that seem a little over-powered (powerfist/force sword/meltabomb for example) would you disallow any?
http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=2131 Never been tested.

Re: Advice: Space Crusade and Advanced Space Crusade

PostPosted: April 7th, 2022, 8:36 am
by Kurgan
Now that I've played the actual game a few times I see it is very challenging for a single squad (or even two). I thought it was that I was just a noob, but there are a lot of things the Alien player can do to wipe out those small numbers like placing all his blips at the start and swarming a squad.

It is cool that you can play against yourself to see how it would go, but it's a lot to keep track of for one person, especially if you're not the type who plays these sorts of games all the time.

Making squad information sheets (like glorified character sheets) helped though.

Re: Advice: Space Crusade and Advanced Space Crusade

PostPosted: November 5th, 2022, 12:46 pm
by Kurgan
One thing I kept forgetting was that armor counts for nothing during melee combat, but now having played it for real, I can see what you mean. "Just accept it" and have fun!

(Never played Advanced, just talking about regular Space Crusade, to me this game seems like it has more variety and fun)