[HQP] Skill Cards

Posted:
August 10th, 2014, 1:14 am
by Teldurn
Re: [HQP] Skill Cards

Posted:
August 11th, 2014, 6:24 am
by Tott
oh i DO like those! phalanx and skirmishing are my favourites. careful aim could be a bit too powerful as it is, I'd suggest to either change it to 'once per quest' or if its something you want to happen each turn just add one extra combat die or one extra skull.
Re: [HQP] Skill Cards

Posted:
August 11th, 2014, 9:51 am
by Teldurn
Tott wrote:oh i DO like those! phalanx and skirmishing are my favourites. careful aim could be a bit too powerful as it is, I'd suggest to either change it to 'once per quest' or if its something you want to happen each turn just add one extra combat die or one extra skull.
Thanks Tott. These are only a few of the skills available, there are lots more I haven't made cards for. But good call on Careful Aim, I can see how that can be overpowered. To put it in context, however, keep in mind that skill usage has a limit of a Hero's maximum Mind Points. So if you have 5MP, you can only use the skill 5 times per quest. Hopefully that mitigates it somewhat.
Re: [HQP] Skill Cards

Posted:
August 11th, 2014, 2:47 pm
by TMU
Eventhough these are not Heroquesty, they do fit well to a skill card, wich these actually are.

So I liked them if you understanded nothing

Re: [HQP] Skill Cards

Posted:
August 11th, 2014, 6:31 pm
by Maike05
This is a brilliant idea and a beautiful attemp too! You should maybe add a price for them so you can pay to learn them at a specific location in the City between quests. What do you think ?
Re: [HQP] Skill Cards

Posted:
August 11th, 2014, 7:25 pm
by Teldurn
Maike05 wrote:This is a brilliant idea and a beautiful attemp too! You should maybe add a price for them so you can pay to learn them at a specific location in the City between quests. What do you think ?
Each one is already priced out, depending on the class type and advancement tier. It's all in the rules.
TMU wrote:Eventhough these are not Heroquesty, they do fit well to a skill card, wich these actually are.

So I liked them if you understanded nothing

I have no idea what you mean by not being Heroquesty, but if you like them, that's good I suppose.

Re: [HQP] Skill Cards

Posted:
August 12th, 2014, 8:31 am
by TMU
Teldurn wrote:TMU wrote:Eventhough these are not Heroquesty, they do fit well to a skill card, wich these actually are.

So I liked them if you understanded nothing

I have no idea what you mean by not being Heroquesty, but if you like them, that's good I suppose.

That's why I added that

I meant that the pictures are not that fitting to the Heroquest artstyle but I like them the way they are.

Re: [HQP] Skill Cards

Posted:
August 12th, 2014, 9:33 am
by Teldurn
I kind of thought that was what you meant, TMU, but I didn't want to assume.

And I think I agree with you, but I like them just as they are.

Re: [HQP] Skill Cards

Posted:
August 16th, 2014, 5:43 pm
by Teldurn
I have completed the Skill Card set. Here is the thumbnail collection. 24 skills in all. Comments, changes, and other suggestions requested.

Re: [HQP] Skill Cards

Posted:
August 26th, 2014, 2:44 pm
by Daedalus
You have a solid selection of skills. My feeling is Hero Quest could benefit with some tactical detail, though I wonder about the pacing drag of added referencing--problably no big deal if Morcar/Zargon knows the lot.
I can't recall the cost of skills or the meaning of active and passive uses. Regardless, here are my impressions and opinions:
I'd change cases of "This skill teaches a Hero..." to "This skill allows a Hero..." or "This skill grants a Hero...."
Alertness: Me likey. Arcana: Also likey. Archery: I prefer the cost of an extra die in a bigger bow, but this works, too. Careful Aim: Stacks with Archery, right? That's a lot. Maybe limit to no move. Charisma: I'd rather see the Mercenary hired with an extra Body Point. Cleave: I'd tone it down to 1 extra monster or use excess skulls for the attacks. Perhaps limit with no move.
Concentration: Seems okay, but I fear brainy Barbarians. Dodge and Trip: Missing for 2 turns is a lot--I'd split it into two skills or make it a two-action manuever. Endurance: Unlimited Body Points leaves me trembly and scared. How many skills can be taken over time by a Hero? Feint: Like if the gained Defend Die good against all attacks that turn. Fencing: A 4 Attack Die broadsword is equal to a battle axe, but it can go with a shield and 3 Attack Dice. This should cost a lot, as 200 gold is already saved in weapon cost. Great Defense: Like. This is the Mercenary Swordsman's skill.
Heroic Cry: Like, as it has a use limit. I don't think the 1-in-6 Defend Die penalty is necessary. Keen Hearing: Cool, but I'd limit uses. Opening doors onto an unknown threat is part of the fun. Leadership: I don't know why Charisma would be taken over or with this. Active/passive? Marksman: Can a Wizard take this? Hmm--it seems okay. Phalanx: Remain adjacent--for the 1 turn, right? I'd put in no move to keep it clear and less flexible. Polearm Stance: Better name and seems okay.
Power Attack: I'd put in no move or the penalty can be avoided. Rallying Cry: Change Defense Die to Defend Die. It grants a lot of bonus dice, so I'd limit uses to one or cost Mind Points or something. Sacrifice: Works for me. Maybe the wording should include the monster position to exclude opposite attacks. Or maybe swap positions with the ally. Skirmishing: At best, I'd allow a choice of 1 Attack or Defend Die each turn. Still better than Fencing, though. Sneak: Not sure what to think. Could be a game changer if not limited in some fasion. Sprint: Seems okay.
Take 'em or leave 'em. I imagine some suggestions won't mean much, while some may help.