Reporting Ebay listings

Posted:
July 28th, 2014, 7:05 pm
by torilen
I know this is going to make me sound like a real dice-bag - but I had a thought just a minute ago.
Has anyone ever considered reporting listings on ebay that are obviously and blatantly NOT heroquest?
For example - the following:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/28-32mm-MONSTER ... 2516.l5255It is obvious this is a home-made miniature - poorly crafted from looking at the picture.
The card is NOT official heroquest, even though the listing leads one to believe it is an official expansion item.
And aside from all of this - the card is included, which, being a homemade card, is a copyright/trademark violation.
Again, I know this makes me sound horrible even thinking this - but I'm sure many of us get tired of seeing people trying to rip off
those who might be new to HQ by listing poor knock-offs of the real thing. If these people were reported, maybe it would decrease
the number of them.
Re: Reporting Ebay listings

Posted:
July 28th, 2014, 7:10 pm
by torilen
Here is another example from the same seller.
If you look at the card right in front middle, a scaven champion, the copyright at the bottom
actually says Alchemist's Desk - from aginn's inn old site.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAST-SET-MONSTE ... 3a94743a7cdrathe, that has to be copyright infringement?? Yes?
Re: Reporting Ebay listings

Posted:
July 28th, 2014, 9:24 pm
by IvenBach
I agree with you in principle torilen.
Re: Reporting Ebay listings

Posted:
July 28th, 2014, 10:41 pm
by drathe
torilen wrote:drathe, that has to be copyright infringement?? Yes?
Indeed. But technically so is every card designed with the logos, artwork and templates on this site. You can report stuff like that all you want on eBay. However, if you're not the actual copyright holder, they won't do a thing about it.
Re: Reporting Ebay listings

Posted:
July 28th, 2014, 11:57 pm
by wolfie907
that is a dragonstrike mini I believe and his description covers his ass as to it not being a hq or gw fig as to using agin's cards that is foul but as drathe said they are all violations I personally hate listings like this but I think it will be hard to change
Re: Reporting Ebay listings

Posted:
July 28th, 2014, 11:59 pm
by IvenBach
Just let it go and try and overlook it. You're not going to stop it or change them so don't get too worked up over it.
Re: Reporting Ebay listings

Posted:
July 29th, 2014, 3:52 am
by TMU
This was that guy from the Old Scratch right?! Everybody is right. There is nothing you can do about, but it really sucks when it covers half of the results for Heroquest.

Re: Reporting Ebay listings

Posted:
July 29th, 2014, 10:11 am
by torilen
You have a point, drathe, about everything on this site. We make it very clear, though, that this is a fan site,
making no challenge to copyright or trademark, and we don't make any profits from what we post here.
That guy is clearly ripping off fans' work and selling it for profit. You're right, I guess...ebay won't do anything
if I am not the copyright holder. If anyone happens to see stuff like that, and knows who created it, let me know
and I'll be happy to try and get a hold of the copyright holder so they can make a valid claim if they wish.
I just hate stuff like that.
Re: Reporting Ebay listings

Posted:
July 29th, 2014, 11:16 am
by knightkrawler
I list miniatures I sell with "für HeroQuest/Warhammer" if it fits and I will not take any *lemony goodness* for it.
I bought them "for HeroQuest" and that is how I'm gonna sell them. As a hint for potential customers to take or not to take. It is my right to use the listing title space to describe the item so as to people being able to find them through search tags and search words.
The seller torilen listed goes a step further by not including "for", which implies the minis are actual HeroQuest minis. I don't know where I draw the line, but I'm not gonna have some double moral about that. He uses the space as best he knows how and that's his right.
What's NOT OK in his case is that he doesn't use that ACTUAL game as search word when he knows them, Dragonstrike for example.
As for people willing to buy that stuff: maybe they actively look for it. That is, for minis that could be suitable for replacing actual minis. It makes it easy to find.
And a buyer who looks for any kind of thing should in any case be aware what that thing constitutes. A HeroQuest fan will either look for complete sets or shy away from single figures that he knows are not HeroQuest.
Think about it. You want proxy minis, you look on ebay. If you type in HeroQuest you'll have a list of minis someone deemed fit for HeroQuest. Otherwise you search in a category a hundred times as voluptuous and consisting of whole Warhammer regiments. I take both ways, but I'm glad for keywords. It's what the ebay search engine is all about.
Now, for those nagging about these items listed taking up too much space in the list: Try listing new items for your search, do this every three days (EVERYONE has that kind of time) and you're gonna be in the loop forever. Now, for cell phones, the argument would be valid because of the sheer volume of listings, but not for HeroQuest I won't heed it.
That all being said, the guy torilen listed used these minis for HeroQuest and printed the cards for HeroQuest, so it's his right to use that code tag. Anything else would be pretty moronic. He could make it more obviously clearer that the items are not actual HeroQuest, but custom.
That all goes for the minis.
The cards, on the other hand, that's a different issue altogether, and I'm with you all on that.
It's clearly amoral what he does there putting them into the picture. Shipping them as a bonus, that would be OK if the source is given, I think.
Something to think about:
Is it OK to use the search word "black" for an item that is not the actual color black? I mean, a spot of black, two dimensional, on a background.
Is it OK to use the search word "Tolkien" for a Fantasy writer that indeed is pretty close to Tolkien in style?
Is it OK to use the search word "for HP Laptop" for an external DVD drive made by Toshiba if it fits HP laptops?
I want to conclude this by saying that my collection is based on and financed by constant exchange and change. I think it's the only way for me to constantly upgrade my collection.
Re: Reporting Ebay listings

Posted:
July 29th, 2014, 4:45 pm
by Redav
But the stuff he lists is
such a bargain 