Page 1 of 5

HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition gets funded

PostPosted: February 14th, 2014, 8:07 pm
by bastianbux
I'm amazed by the balls of these people: they got shut down by Kickstarter and one other crowdfunding site, and then they went ahead and set up on a third crowdfunding site... which allowed them, and collected 1170% of what they were looking for.
http://www.lanzanos.com/proyectos/heroq ... cesidades/

I just don't get it, do they really think that Hasbro and/or Games Workshop aren't going to mind? Or maybe they're right, maybe because the rights are so funky neither Hasbro nor Games Workshop will pursue any sort of legal action against them? And what about that other company who now owns the "HeroQuest" trademark? I'll feel bad for those poor souls who contributed money to this if it never comes to light.

Re: HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition gets funded

PostPosted: February 15th, 2014, 2:06 am
by knightkrawler
The German forum members were all over it like naive fanboy hawks. I went ahead and posted cp's research. Plenty of them master the English language to a degree that would have sufficed, but no... always the one previous post got read and they posted another "Oooh, what's gonna be in the package? I'm so excited!" post and only Mophus (among those who posted in the respective thread to convey thoughts or ideas), who's also a member here, seemed to get the scope of it all. Really, it was peer pressure.
So I went and probably pissed everybody off by telling them they will be very disappointed in one or another way and posted a few more moral consumer code of conduct style warnings to refer to when it's all said and (un)done. This probably got overread as well, but someday I'll quote myself just to come back and be right about the whole shindig.

I myself am very disappointed at their behavior and their consumer naiveté and not least in the fact that those backers actively help destroying our HeroQuest hobby by bringing the name to the conscience of Hasbro, GW, and others. I mean, if everybody involved or touched by the whole matter is going to be really really consequent, yeoldeinn will no longer be able to host HQ files anymore. That's what my nightmare is, nothing less, nothing more. I wonder if anybody has ever put a fan-thought in this.

It's like Cherry Coke or another Kiss reunion all over again.
But frankly, I don't care anymore. They will come to their senses.

Re: HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition gets funded

PostPosted: February 15th, 2014, 6:25 am
by Thantos
With 678,976 Euros in the bank - the most opportune time to sue gamezone for damages has arrived! Que barrage of legal letters! :P

Re: HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition gets funded

PostPosted: February 15th, 2014, 6:47 am
by knightkrawler
That's what I've been all about with my moaning, yay!

Re: HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition gets funded

PostPosted: February 15th, 2014, 7:17 am
by JasonMCM
They might be able to avoid this IF they actually have permission from the Spain branch of Hasbro AND they avoid using any GW intellectual property (Fimir anyone?) At this point it looks as if they only really need to worry about hasbro as I haven't seen the Fimir replacement but as there is one...

In all reality I hope that Hasbro sues the *lemony goodness* out of them.

Re: HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition gets funded

PostPosted: February 15th, 2014, 8:00 am
by chaoticprime
Thantos wrote:With 678,976 Euros in the bank - the most opportune time to sue gamezone for damages has arrived! Que barrage of legal letters! :P


Sue who? There's no one to sue or GW would have sued them a decade ago for copyright infringement. WotC will fair no better.

Re: HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition gets funded

PostPosted: February 17th, 2014, 3:59 pm
by bastianbux
chaoticprime wrote:
Thantos wrote:With 678,976 Euros in the bank - the most opportune time to sue gamezone for damages has arrived! Que barrage of legal letters! :P


Sue who? There's no one to sue or GW would have sued them a decade ago for copyright infringement. WotC will fair no better.


I wasn't aware Game Zone had been involved with copyright infringement against HeroQuest a decade ago; looks like I missed an interesting chapter in this saga?

Also, strangely, Game Zone's website for this project is down...

Re: HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition gets funded

PostPosted: February 17th, 2014, 4:03 pm
by chaoticprime
They weren't. All Gamezone have ever made was GW knock-offs.

Re: HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition gets funded

PostPosted: February 17th, 2014, 4:47 pm
by knightkrawler
Two companies have been known for ripping off Games Workshop by producing miniatures that are supposed to replace GW's own minis in GW's own games:
Gamezone and Harlequin.
Gamezone have been going so far as to cover the whole Warhammer Fantasy range by taking GW's unit and character ideas, improving on them, and then offering a wide range of better minis for the game of its main competitor. Scan their catalogue, even now, you'll be quite baffled.

When thinking about that, the strategy for producing heroQuest becomes even clearer and even more ballsy. As chaoticprime has researched and pointed out, there has been noone to prosecute legally, which is why Gamezone has been untouched by GW for 10 freakin' years of producing GW's range.

Re: HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition gets funded

PostPosted: February 18th, 2014, 2:52 pm
by bastianbux
I must be out of the loop. I thought Game Zone was primarily one dude who hired various sculptors (who all eventually quit). Can this one dude not be sued by Games Workshop? Or is there some sort of technicality that keeps him on the dark grey side of the law? Is there another thread I should have been reading? :D