Page 1 of 1

Goblin icon variations: Spearman and Zombie

PostPosted: March 6th, 2025, 9:49 am
by Akjosch
Since I needed a Goblin Spearman and Goblin Zombie for my quests, I quickly grabbed the 2021 vectors and modified them to suit my tastes. (C) of the base graphic is Avalon Hill.

GoblinSpearman.svg
GoblinZombie.svg

Feel free to use however you like, of course, unless it's commercial (then you'll need to talk with AH).

Re: Goblin icon variations: Spearman and Zombie

PostPosted: March 7th, 2025, 11:26 am
by Bareheaded Warrior
I'm impressed and was after some icon variants of my own for the classic heroquest persuasion of HQ (1989 "EA") for "Orc Henchman" armed with flails and "Orc Captains" (which use the Notched Sword figure) armed with battle axes but sadly my skills in this area are non-existent...(hopeful hint!)

Re: Goblin icon variations: Spearman and Zombie

PostPosted: March 7th, 2025, 3:10 pm
by Akjosch
Bareheaded Warrior wrote:I'm impressed and was after some icon variants of my own for the classic heroquest persuasion of HQ (1989 "EA") for "Orc Henchman" armed with flails and "Orc Captains" (which use the Notched Sword figure) armed with battle axes but sadly my skills in this area are non-existent...(hopeful hint!)


Sorry, you'd have to be more precise for me to be of any help. Something like this little fella for the "orc with battleaxe"?

Re: Goblin icon variations: Spearman and Zombie

PostPosted: March 10th, 2025, 8:08 am
by Bareheaded Warrior
Yes, except I use the Classic heroquest so the black and white icon from the 1989 version, if you see what I mean!

Re: Goblin icon variations: Spearman and Zombie

PostPosted: March 10th, 2025, 9:44 am
by Akjosch
Are you sure it was black and white? I just checked my (German) version, and it's more of a brown (RAL 8012 or so) on bone-coloured paper, like this one.

Re: Goblin icon variations: Spearman and Zombie

PostPosted: March 11th, 2025, 10:35 am
by Bareheaded Warrior
Yes you're right the colours did vary in the different media even within the same version, icon on monster cards, quest maps, EW screen and so on, but these days I tend to use hQuestBuilder to make my quests so black and white would be absolutely fine like hQuestBuilder Orc

Just out of interest do you use hQuestBuilder to develop your quests or do you use a different tool?

Re: Goblin icon variations: Spearman and Zombie

PostPosted: March 11th, 2025, 2:52 pm
by Akjosch
Oh, no problem. Since it's an SVG file and I made sure all the styles are in the header in CSS definitions, anyone could really change those two places which define the colours in mere seconds with a text editor, really. The result looks like this. Pure vector SVG, so don't let any pixelation of the preview fool you.

I'm still not quite clear about what kind of monster variants you need, though.

As for me, I use HeroScribe. I grabbed the All-in-one Pack, decompiled the binary (... because whoever packed it forgot to include the actual up-to-date sources despite it being under the GPL), then changed it a bit so it uses SVG instead of EPS files (and could use them for rendering on the screen too, bypassing the need for creating PNGs, but I didn't fully implement it yet) as well as render the PDFs directly via the itextpdf library instead of needing Ghostscript. The result is still a bit rough around the edges, too rough for release really, but single-board quests can be exported and look like I'd like them to.