Page 1 of 7

[3rd] Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024

PostPosted: January 6th, 2024, 3:39 pm
by Bareheaded Warrior
As an antidote to those January blues following the return to work (and of course the end of Ye Olde Inn Christmas Exchange) I propose the first, probably not as I'm sure it has been done before, annual Ye Olde Inn Quest Design competition.

Rules

There will be some rules, feel free to make suggestions below, either for new rules or to amend existing ones

  1. Everyone is welcome, but one entry per member please
  2. Entries must be original i.e. your own (obviously) and not previously published here or elsewhere, and not remakes/reboots/reprints of existing quests although they can be prequels and sequels to existing material
  3. Entries must be a for a single quest using a single board (no Dark Company style multi-boards please)
  4. Entries must only use components from the HeroQuest Game System (1989 Original / 1990 Remake [US] / 2021 Remake), no expansions or homebrew components
  5. Entries must be in English (I’ll accept American ;) )
  6. Entries must state the ruleset that they have been designed for (1989 Original / 1990 Remake [US] / 2021 Remake)
  7. Entries must be designed for four heroes at a difficulty appropriate to a party of heroes at the end of the Game System
  8. Entries must not include any permanent Quest Treasure / Artifacts (although ones that have to be returned at the end of the Quest is acceptable)

Note: If any rules are unclear or you don't understand the rationale behind them then please ask in the thread below. Equally any feedback for the rules or the process or timings that I can incorporate for next year, again let me know below.

Submission & Voting

  • Entries must be submitted between the dates given below by adding a single post with a single attachment of a document in a widely accessible format (such as doc or PDF)
  • Each member will be allowed to vote for their favourite 3 entries

Dates

Opening Date for Entries will be: 3rd February 2024
Closing Date for Entries: 17th February 2024
Revised Closing Date for Entries (due to technical deficiencies with the person running the contest :oops: ): 2nd March 2024
Voting will close: 30th March 2024
Revised Voting Close Date: 13th April 2024

Winners

Winners may get medals, if someone is willing to design an icon for Gold, Silver, Bronze Medal (maybe to add to your signature), and perhaps an entry on a leaderboard on a separate thread for the record for the top 10 highest numbers of votes…of all time? Failing that they may just get a :cookie:

Re: [1st] Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024

PostPosted: January 8th, 2024, 7:03 pm
by j_dean80
I'll throw in my 2 cents. Normally I enter these Quest contests, not to win, just for fun. But there seems to be too many restrictions on this one as written. A big thing for me is the mandatory Artifact. I feel there are already a lot of Artifacts out there and we don't really need more.

As far as an icon on the Inn. I would keep it simple, an Orc mini in the colors of gold, silver, and bronze. Perhaps holding a die to keep count similar to the Christmas Exchange.

Re: [1st] Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024

PostPosted: January 9th, 2024, 3:16 am
by Bareheaded Warrior
I agree with there being a lot of Artifacts out there and not needing any more, hence my rule to restrict to a maximum of one, so not mandatory, but optional but a maximum of one (0-1). I'm happy to reword that if it isn't clear and to change any rules that people feel are too restrictive, although I do find constraints can produce creativity, but if we want to add/change rules probably better to do it sooner rather than later!

In fact we could go for NO permanent artefacts if you prefer...

Anyway welcome to the party j_dean80 :)

Re: [1st] Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024

PostPosted: January 9th, 2024, 4:12 pm
by Daedalus
Bareheaded Warrior wrote:As an antidote to those January blues following the return to work (and of course the end of Ye Olde Inn Christmas Exchange) I propose the first, probably not as I'm sure it has been done before, annual Ye Olde Inn Quest Design competition.

A contest--Yay! :)

Check out Board index ‹ Special Rooms ‹ Contest Room.

Re: [1st] Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024

PostPosted: January 9th, 2024, 4:57 pm
by j_dean80
May I ask why a pdf format? Don't think I even have a program for that.

Re: [3rd] Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024

PostPosted: January 11th, 2024, 9:08 am
by Bareheaded Warrior
I'd never noticed, or possibly noticed and long forgotten, that section so thanks for pointing that out, looks like there was plenty of demand a decade ago, so I'm a little late to the party as usual! I didn't think my idea for this contest was original but it is good to see the old stuff, (and in turn I was inspired by an even older contest 1989_GM_Magazine_Vol_2_Issue_3). So it appears subject to correction that this will be the 3rd annual (ish) contest the others being 2009 Quest Contest: Summer 2009 and 2017 HeroQuest Quest Contest (Dice Give Away!)

I'll ask an admin to move this topic into the "Current Contests"

In terms of the rules section I'll take a look at what is already in the historic rules and update my initial post, including clarifying that entries needs to be a document attached to a post, in a format that can be universally viewed such as, but not exclusively, PDF!

It appears that we are in the presence of a previous winner, j_dean80, but with only 3 of us currently in the running I'm quietly confident of getting at least the bronze medal, for now!

Re: [3rd] Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024

PostPosted: January 11th, 2024, 10:47 am
by j_dean80
It was a random draw. My design didn't win, little different.

Re: [3rd] Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024

PostPosted: January 11th, 2024, 6:46 pm
by lestodante
Let me join this!!!

Re: [3rd] Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024

PostPosted: January 12th, 2024, 3:19 am
by Markus Darwath
I am interested, as I likely have considerable down time coming up due to medical stuff.

Re: [3rd] Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024

PostPosted: January 12th, 2024, 4:54 am
by Bareheaded Warrior
The more the merrier, all are welcome, rules have been revised, get scribing, any questions let me know.

Some of you have cool icons in your signatures, where did you get those from and can anyone make a Gold, Silver, Bronze version of an icon for this comp (maybe featuring a map/parchment, quill - I'll leave the details up to whoever volunteers as my graphical artistic side is somewhat stunted!)

Good luck and may the best entries win...