I'm for no movement on whole Pit of Chaos squares and mostly Pit of Chaos squares. I'd allow movement on partial squares that contain less than half pit. If a square can't be agreed to contain less than half pit, treat it like a special pit trap--rolling a skull means you're now Morcar's boy.
The Pit of Chaos is a pit: ". . . Anyone moving
into the pit. . ." Others may not agree, but I'd also allow moving
over it:
3) Jump a whole or mostly-pit Pit of Chaos square like a pit trap.
If you wanted a Pit of Chaos in a home-brewed Quest, the EQP provides further rules guidance from a long pit trap:
4) Jump 3 whole or mostly-pit Pit of Chaos squares by rolling a black shield. Jump 2 squares by rolling a white shield.
5) Other tricks to cross Pit of Chaos squares:
- Rabbit Boots from RotWL
- Ice Bridge Spell Scroll from the BQP
- Air Walk potion from the EQP
- Wand of Magic, Wall of Stone, and Pass Through Rock (or Wall of Stone and Elven Cloak of Passage) for an unlikely move across 2 Pit of Chaos squares