• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Anyone have an actual custom full rule book?

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Anyone have an actual custom full rule book?

Postby muzzsjm » February 21st, 2023, 4:04 am

Lots of house rules and custom rules etc on these forums but has anyone made an actual full rule book for their version? Closest I've seen is Hazzingtons google docs thing but would be nice to have a complete rule book for someone taking the plunge! Haven't played since 90s want to try and find a less complex dungeon crawler for a group of mixed hardcore to casual boardgamers.
muzzsjm

Forum Language: British English

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Anyone have an actual custom full rule book?

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » February 21st, 2023, 6:28 am

Plenty of people do, although mine obviously is the best ;)

Polishing the Second Edition

Hero Quest Amped Edition

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book

To name a few, if you go to the Project Forge section of the forum, there are many in there.
Last edited by Bareheaded Warrior on June 5th, 2023, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Stoner81 » February 21st, 2023, 7:55 pm

Greetings!

I am the author for the Amped Edition... the rule book is still under construction though the vast majority is in place but I am actively working on it. Any questions on it then please feel free to message privately or in the thread linked above (and in my signature).

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby muzzsjm » February 22nd, 2023, 5:31 am

Thanks for the reply guys :)
muzzsjm

Postby muzzsjm » February 22nd, 2023, 5:49 am

Thanks for the reply guys :) just curious have you played your versions do they make the game a bit harder more complex and interesting? Think normal Hero Quest might be to simple for my group but I've seen a lot of talk about these fan rules.
muzzsjm

Postby Stoner81 » February 22nd, 2023, 7:53 pm

I haven't play tested my rules as of yet since not had the time. I am hoping to get around to doing so this summer a little bit. I have tried as hard as possible to keep things balanced but I can't think of everything so feedback is always welcome :) (assuming you use mine).

Also please note that the page numbers in the quest book are not accurate in the table of contents section, I just haven't had the time to sort it out yet but everything else should be fine to use. The rule book is still being updated and edited so please bear that in mind also.

Again if you have any questions, comments, feedback, critiques etc then please by all means feel free :)

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » February 23rd, 2023, 10:42 am

muzzsjm wrote:Thanks for the reply guys :) just curious have you played your versions do they make the game a bit harder more complex and interesting? Think normal Hero Quest might be to simple for my group but I've seen a lot of talk about these fan rules.

Harder, yes, Monsters have more BP than UK edition (as US edition) but in addition to that both Heroes and Monsters do about a third more damage than standard and Monsters get improved defence to counter that but heroes don't, so harder for heroes.

More complex, the rules are on balance, I hope, no more or less complex than standard but the net effect is intended to be more interesting.

That said if you are looking for a more complex, heavy RPG with 4-6 hour sessions and masses of look up tables then HQ may not be the game for you ;)

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby muzzsjm » February 23rd, 2023, 1:37 pm

Harder, yes, Monsters have more BP than UK edition (as US edition) but in addition to that both Heroes and Monsters do about a third more damage than standard and Monsters get improved defence to counter that but heroes don't, so harder for heroes.

More complex, the rules are on balance, I hope, no more or less complex than standard but the net effect is intended to be more interesting.

That said if you are looking for a more complex, heavy RPG with 4-6 hour sessions and masses of look up tables then HQ may not be the game for you ;)

Nah I'm looking for a more out of the box and play 1-2 hour sort of thing. I'm interested as well at whether or not your Gold edition carries into expansions for just the base game. I've done some quest and RPG creation many moons ago so I may take your version and add my own house rules etc. My group is mix of hardcore D&Ders and those who aren't very good at complex games but don't mind board games. Feel Hero Quest will be good for them but nice to be able to spice it up.
muzzsjm

Postby Stoner81 » February 23rd, 2023, 8:09 pm

muzzsjm wrote:
Nah I'm looking for a more out of the box and play 1-2 hour sort of thing. I'm interested as well at whether or not your Gold edition carries into expansions for just the base game. I've done some quest and RPG creation many moons ago so I may take your version and add my own house rules etc. My group is mix of hardcore D&Ders and those who aren't very good at complex games but don't mind board games. Feel Hero Quest will be good for them but nice to be able to spice it up.

My rules incorporate the base game and all the expansions so the rule book includes all the traps and hazards etc from those rather than being spread out everywhere. Take a look and see what you think :) you can always pick and choose from one or even both system and make your own ;)

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » February 24th, 2023, 5:41 am

The latest version of HQ Gold is due out in the next few weeks, it is currently being play tested.

The current version covers the Gathering Storm Quest Book (Game System), Revenge of the Weatherman, Kellar's Keep, Return of the Witch Lord, New Beginnings, Rogar's Hall and The Forsaken Tunnels of Xor-Xel and the next version also covers Against the Ogre Horde (although I'll probably release it before that Quest Book is fully covered or we'll be waiting ages!), next one planned is Wizards of Morcar and then I'll move onto the US exclusives.

Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Rules