• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Newbie - making cards

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Newbie - making cards

Postby steeltekki » August 9th, 2022, 3:21 pm

Hi
I'm looking for guidance on making some cards for heroquest (2021 version).
Specifically I'd like to create sleeved cards for the extra quest Avalon Hill made for the Frozen Horror.
I just don't know where to start :(

I'm going to start digging into it but figured I'd throw this out first in case someone who's done it before wanted to help point me in the right direction :p

Thanks all!
steeltekki

Skeleton
Skeleton

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Newbie - making cards

Postby AngusMacBaine » August 16th, 2022, 4:56 pm

This guy has a great tutorial on laying out ready-made card art. I can't quite get it to work right for me but others have had success.

[YouTube]How to Lay Out a Card Template - Dining Table Print & Play[/YouTube]

https://youtu.be/n_8q4V3TAzc
AngusMacBaine

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby Kurgan » August 17th, 2022, 3:37 pm

Welcome to the forums!

There are lots of ways to homebrew your own HQ style cards. Typically it involves a paint program (I use the free paint.net) and creating a template if you want to make them look kinda/sorta like they fit with the official deck(s) like taking a scan or photo of an official card and erasing the text/background art with the clone stamp/rubber stamp tool or equivalent to copy and paste the background over the existing text/art.

I print my proofs myself or at a local print shop on regular paper, cut them out with a scissors and sandwich a piece of card stock between the two printed halves (front and back) and put the whole thing inside a transparent sleeve. When I'm confident of the design, I go to a site like (many similar sites exist) Boardgamesmaker or Makeplayingcards.com and drag the individual images on there and print them out (the final price tends to be around 50 cents per card, I use the fancy finishes, delivery takes about 2 weeks).... for my personal, non-commercial use of course.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby steeltekki » August 20th, 2022, 1:01 pm

well, I guess I need to figure out alerts because I had no idea you guys had replied! That makeplayingcards site was very cool to try out, and as such I placed an order.
And that youtube video was great to watch in general.
Thank you both so much for taking the time to reply.
steeltekki

Skeleton
Skeleton

Return to Cards