• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Copy figures

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Copy figures

Postby leo » December 31st, 2010, 3:45 pm

I am sure some other people have already discussed this but, how expensive would it be to make replicas of the original figures from heroquest? Especially the expansions like Elf and Barbarian etc. I use paper minis since they go so high on ebay. Any ideas?
leo

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Copy figures

Postby el_flesh » January 2nd, 2011, 10:57 am

You can always try to find deals on D&D figs...

Our DM, Beernut found a toy store where the figs aren't selling at all, and so the owner wants to get rid of the figs - he sold over 50 of them for $40 - that's less than $1 a fig!!! You have to find the right deal at the right time I guess.
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby leo » January 2nd, 2011, 4:30 pm

Good Idea I will see what is out there. Anybody else got any ideas? We all can benefit from everyones input.
leo

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby gravaillon » January 8th, 2011, 8:49 am

you have the games workshop figurines. I have bought the ogres for the extensions against the horde ogre, it's expensive but they looks pretty like the original miniatures of heroquest. Lots of more in the same game, orcs, goblins, skelettons, dwarves,...etc. Games workshop's miniatures are made by citadel miniatures, the same enterprises that made the original miniatures of heroquest.

Else, look on ebay. For example, at this moment, 5 fimirs for 2,50 $. Pretty good
See my blog for more ideas http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com
See my remastered edition of Heroquest and all the Quest Books on http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: Français
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby darthjason » February 8th, 2011, 2:08 pm

I haven't actualy tryed this, but you could probably use some kind of putty to make a mold using a figure you alread have, then remove the figure and poor hot wax into the mold and now you have a wax clone. from there you could make a clay mold around the wax clone and fire it, the wax will melt out leaving you with an empty ceramic mold which you can then use to make plastic or even metal figures. hmm...maybe i should try this this, i bet there would be a market for metal heroquest minis ^_^
Just say "No" to Chaos Magic.
darthjason

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daniel Anteron » February 17th, 2011, 9:14 am

darthjason wrote:I haven't actualy tryed this, but you could probably use some kind of putty to make a mold using a figure you alread have, then remove the figure and poor hot wax into the mold and now you have a wax clone. from there you could make a clay mold around the wax clone and fire it, the wax will melt out leaving you with an empty ceramic mold which you can then use to make plastic or even metal figures. hmm...maybe i should try this this, i bet there would be a market for metal heroquest minis ^_^

You could do it this way if you really wanted metal figures. You could also use a mold making kit from some place like Hobby Lobby. The kits comes with everything you need to make your new mini out of.
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/alu ... it-580068/
Daniel Anteron

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » February 17th, 2011, 10:59 am

You should use a two component silicon, which is sold at hobby shops for the very purpose of making molds for casting minitaures. It's very durable and temperature tolerant enough to cast soft metal (tin /lead) figures. Of course you can also use it to cast resin figures, if you like them better. Soft metal casting will give you better deails, however.

Take the original figure and a small box (perhaps one cm space between figure and wall, more is just wasting material). Use a cardbord box or make a "box" of lego, so you can easily take the mold out later. Now fill the box halfways with ordinary children's putty. Press the figure into the putty and mold it so that arms, legs etc. are just half embedded. Make some "bumps" around the figure, this will later help you to fit the two halves of the mold together more easily. Now mix the silicone and cast it over the figure.
After it has hardened, put the box upside down, take off the bottom and peel off the putty. Now you have one half of your mold. Cover the surface of the silicone with a very thin layer of release agent to prevent the two halfes of the mold stick together. Release agent it is sold at the hobby shop together with the silicone. Dishwashing liquid should work, too, but I nerver tried it. Now prepare another dose of the silicone and fill the box.
When it has hardened, you have a two-part mold. Take the original figure out. Now cut a funnel into it to fill in the molten metal. Make a test cast. You will notice, that some of the protuding parts (sword, feet) have caught air and therefore cast not very well. Cut some very thin windpipes to release the air at the apropiate places.
Now, for your actual castings the mold should be hot before you fill the metal in, preventing it from hardening too fast.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby darthjason » February 17th, 2011, 2:05 pm

sweet, thanks for the tips. i have all the expansions, and thus, all the minis, but i know some of them are hard to get a hold of (female elf and barbarian expecialy). i think i will try "cloning" them and selling the clones on ebay or something. my only concern would be if hasbro or gw still hold the rights to this game could/would i get in big trouble for this?
Just say "No" to Chaos Magic.
darthjason

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » February 17th, 2011, 2:19 pm

A good way to expand a miniature collection without having to shell out for multiple copies of overly expensive expansions. Thanks for the tips!

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Big Bene » February 18th, 2011, 5:44 am

darthjason wrote: i think i will try "cloning" them and selling the clones on ebay or something.

I'd like to get some!
I only have Game system, Kellar's keep and Wizards of Morcar. Have also printed out material of the other expansions, but would like to have the appropriate figures :)
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Miniatures