• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ways to play?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Ways to play?

Postby Smrize » January 27th, 2021, 6:20 am

Hey all!

I've found 3 ways to play the Hero Quest game and I was thinking if there are more ways. So let me know and comment below. I'll list everything in here that I've found and ways you comment below! :)

1. Physical boardgame itself
2. Vassal engine (vassalengine.org)
3. Tabletop simulator on Steam (workshop edition)
4. Roll20 (creation) roll20.net
5. HQGM Which is available in here actually http://aginsinn.yeoldeinn.com/gamemaster/index.html (Don't know if it works. Cant get it installed. It's stuck at file Caxton Bold.TTF)
6. Singeplayer PC game https://heroquest.en.uptodown.com/windows (No installation required. You don't even have to unpack lol)
7. Singleplayer HeroQuest game for NES
8. Gremlins HeroQuest (Don't know where to get that one)
9. Vorpalboard.com (Your cash upload card instead for players to draw from and use, connect a phone for camera view of the board and it has a dice roller that you can create custom dice with. It costs $5 a month for the one controlling the game and
it's free for all other players.)
Last edited by Smrize on February 1st, 2021, 5:19 am, edited 8 times in total.
HeroQuest HD jpg board for online games - Editor: Decipher. I just resized it.

I'm an starting artist/designer. Check out my portfolio: Jogisoo
Smrize

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Ways to play?

Postby Davane » January 27th, 2021, 6:46 am

I currently play HQ using Roll20 (http://www.roll20.net).

I don't know if there's an official Roll20 module for HQ yet, but I created my own, using some simple dungeon mapping software to create maps to upload and then added tokens for the features. I have scans of all the cards, and created a rollable table for the combat die. Finally, for some colour, I got scans of the rooms in HQ and use them to make the maps more like they are being played on the HQ board.

I even created a few tutorials on how to play on Roll20 on my YouTube channel here. I would note that you can get away with playing HQ on Roll20 for free, as all the features to play are included, and most of the assets I used for Roll20 actually came from Ye Olde Inn.
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Smrize » January 27th, 2021, 7:17 am

Davane wrote:I currently play HQ using Roll20 (http://www.roll20.net).

I don't know if there's an official Roll20 module for HQ yet, but I created my own, using some simple dungeon mapping software to create maps to upload and then added tokens for the features. I have scans of all the cards, and created a rollable table for the combat die. Finally, for some colour, I got scans of the rooms in HQ and use them to make the maps more like they are being played on the HQ board.

I even created a few tutorials on how to play on Roll20 on my YouTube channel here. I would note that you can get away with playing HQ on Roll20 for free, as all the features to play are included, and most of the assets I used for Roll20 actually came from Ye Olde Inn.

There is no module for HQ there at the moment. Atleast I didn't find.

Smrize

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » January 27th, 2021, 8:02 am

You can play the physical game remotely using Zoom or other video conference software (ex: combined with OBS). If you don't mind playing solo there is the computer game.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Smrize » January 27th, 2021, 8:50 am

Kurgan wrote:You can play the physical game remotely using Zoom or other video conference software (ex: combined with OBS). If you don't mind playing solo there is the computer game.

Yea, it's good idea. There's also HQ dice apps you can use to roll them. It's realy cool. I don't have the game myself sadly.

Smrize

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby j_dean80 » January 27th, 2021, 1:04 pm

Re: Help with HQGM?
Postby AerynB » March 22nd, 2011, 3:50 pm
As I understand, it's an application that simulates the HQ Game Master or Evil Wizard player, enabling one person (or a group) to play HQ with the board, pieces, cards, and dice without an actual Game Master player. The computer is the Game Master and it lets you know what you see when you open a door, or if you accidentally spring a trap, etc. I haven't actually played around with it yet, but it seems very intriguing since I can't always get a group together to play with.

There's also an editing feature which lets you edit quests or create your own quests.

Here's the site: http://heroquest.hjortskov.net/

I’ve used this several times and it works great. Only problem is there’s no way to incorporate custom rules.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Smrize » January 27th, 2021, 2:43 pm

j_dean80 wrote:
As I understand, it's an application that simulates the HQ Game Master or Evil Wizard player, enabling one person (or a group) to play HQ with the board, pieces, cards, and dice without an actual Game Master player. The computer is the Game Master and it lets you know what you see when you open a door, or if you accidentally spring a trap, etc. I haven't actually played around with it yet, but it seems very intriguing since I can't always get a group together to play with.

There's also an editing feature which lets you edit quests or create your own quests.

I’ve used this several times and it works great. Only problem is there’s no way to incorporate custom rules.

Uhm that website. When did you last pay a visit to it? It's Hjortskov family tree and nothing else now. But I did find the game on https://heroquest-game-master.software.informer.com/ Let me know if someone's able to play it. Cant install it myself.
Last edited by Smrize on January 27th, 2021, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smrize

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby j_dean80 » January 27th, 2021, 2:45 pm

Smrize wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:

Uhm that website. When did you last pay a visit to it? It's Hjortskov family tree and nothing else now.

lol Yeah it is. I downloaded it a few years ago. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone has that file around here though.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Smrize » January 27th, 2021, 2:51 pm

j_dean80 wrote:
Smrize wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:

Uhm that website. When did you last pay a visit to it? It's Hjortskov family tree and nothing else now.

lol Yeah it is. I downloaded it a few years ago. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone has that file around here though.

You can find it now on https://heroquest-game-master.software.informer.com/ But cant install it on my pc. Some errors pop up.

Smrize

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » January 27th, 2021, 6:06 pm

What OS? You might need to run as administrator and in compatibility mode for an older version of windows.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next