• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

New to the Forum and a question

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

New to the Forum and a question

Postby MitchellTyner » August 3rd, 2020, 10:11 pm

Hello everyone!

I played this as a kid and I recently found it in long time storage.

I got about everything for the game minus a couple tiles and a missing orc.

Anyway, the box it came in is trashed... real had. So I'm curious if anyone out there makes a reproduction box or something like that?

If not I purchased a nice case https://www.feldherr.net/feldherr-maxi- ... st/a-58467

I spoke to my friends and they are excited to play it ! We have been playing D&D for years but I told them about this find and it might be fun for "meet grinder" games etc.

So anyway, I hope to talk to you all soon and if you know anything about replacing the box let me know!

Thanks!
Mitchell
Last edited by Daedalus on March 1st, 2021, 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from General Discussion on 3/1/21.
MitchellTyner

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: New to the Forum and a question

Postby whitebeard » August 4th, 2020, 8:03 am

Welcome to the Inn!

The problem with the Feldherr case is that it is not a replacement for the box... where will you put the board?

If you know anyone with a 3D printer, you can get a quick replacement for the missing orc. But you probably won't ever need him. Same goes for being a few tiles short.

If you saved the box, you can always restore it by cutting it flat and gluing it to a new cardboard backing. Keep it very thin and you won't change the fit of the top and bottom.

Lastly, you can usually find a very much incomplete set (no figures, no dice, etc.) with a box on ebay.

Be sure to show us (with pictures) what you end up doing.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby MitchellTyner » August 4th, 2020, 10:16 am

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah as far as the board goes I'm going to have to figure something out. As of now the board is in great shape but I'll have to find something soft to store it in.

Yeah I looked on ebay before I got the the feldherr case and saw a "partial" box set with a decent box go for over 150 (since they are all bids and no buy it nows etc). I just can't see swinging that for just a box , however more stuff is always nice lol.

I might give that a try, rebuilding the box.

The top has all 4 corners broken and one side of it is just laying inside the box, The bottom has 2 corners busted open so there is that.

I might try rebuilding it as you said with the cardboard backing, that's a great idea.

Also since I'm into miniature painting with D&D and Sigmar/40k I look forward to painting these retro figures.

One thing I am curious on however is the cardboard parts to the furniture, does people just prime over it and paint that as well or just leave them or even put a coat of varnish on them?

Again thanks!
MitchellTyner

Hero:

Postby Mophus » August 4th, 2020, 10:46 am

MitchellTyner wrote:... One thing I am curious on however is the cardboard parts to the furniture, does people just prime over it and paint that as well or just leave them or even put a coat of varnish on them?

Again thanks!

I never heard about someone used this possibility. Most folks prefer to replace the cardboard pieces with plastic card and sculpt a new surface on it.

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Mophus

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: Deutsch
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » August 4th, 2020, 10:51 am

I recommend cheap FDM 3D prints for the furniture if you are planning on painting. You may be able to kitbash the wizard table, alchemy bench, rack, etc. onto solid 3D printed bases.

Others have replaced the cardboard with other materials. You can pull the original cardboard out, trace over it and add bits (from your AoS leftovers) and textures, etc. You can use cardboard and if it it remains exposed you should seal it (without getting it very wet) then prime over that. Cheap terrain crafting guys do this all the time.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby MitchellTyner » August 4th, 2020, 4:06 pm

Yeah I'm thinking of once I paint the plastic parts, then "repairing the cardboard with a light wash to match the wood etc ascetic.

That isn't to bad of an option.

What I'm curious about if what it would do if I put a matt varnish over it to protect the cardboard and colors etc with the painted plastic.

Does anyone know if this has been done?

by the way as far as 3d printing goes, I've picked up a set of doors off of ebay that are 3d printed, 5 closed and 16 open I think.

Not too bad because those paper doors were rather trash I remember.
MitchellTyner

Hero:

Postby Stig » August 5th, 2020, 7:01 am

Welcome to the inn! I’m leaving the card untouched, I’m of the opinion anything I try will never be as good as the pro artist who drew it. But yes, painted the plastic

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby MitchellTyner » August 5th, 2020, 10:37 am

I picked up a cheap furniture lot on ebay so I think I'm gonna try the matt varnish out on one of the cardboards just to see how it turns out.
MitchellTyner

Hero:

Return to Game Systems