• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Flight to the surface question

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Against the Ogre Horde Quest Pack.

Flight to the surface question

Postby mrmagoo » May 15th, 2019, 6:24 am

In the last quest, the bottom left room has a falling block trap, does this try and get the first character trapped in the last room?
Usually, the barb leads the way, and he does not any spells to walk through the wall? or am I missing something?
mrmagoo

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Flight to the surface question

Postby The Admiral » May 15th, 2019, 7:37 am

mrmagoo wrote:In the last quest, the bottom left room has a falling block trap, does this try and get the first character trapped in the last room?
Usually, the barb leads the way, and he does not any spells to walk through the wall? or am I missing something?
hasn't

It is as written, so if the Hero opening the door hasn't got anything to get them out of the room such as a Pass thru rock spell/scroll or Elven cloak of passage, then they should step away from the door. I suspect they didn't think anyone would go in, because there is no note as to the chest contents, but it is possible. I house ruled that the chest would contain a Pass Thru Rock scroll if needed, otherwise empty. Crueler Evil Wizards could just let them die. It would be stupid to step in without an exit strategy.

This trap actually killed the Barbarian in my brother's Dwarf party. He was down to 2BP's with no healing potions and a role of 3 skulls took him out. The poor wizard followed soon after when the orcs poured off the stairs.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » May 15th, 2019, 5:48 pm

If you allow house rules you probably can mix US and EUR cards.
So one solution is that a wizard can enter the sealed room using Pass Through Rock and then once he see the trapped hero he can use the Ring of Return to "safely" return to the starting point together... :twisted:

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » June 3rd, 2019, 8:16 am

I've never really cared for those rooms with Falling Block Traps, which can potentially trap any hero without the Pass Through Rock spell. Although they annoyingly occur 5 out of 7 times in Against the Ogre Horde (Quests 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7) and 3 times in Mage of the Mirror (Quest 4, 9 & 10); it's a cheap way to kill a hero without him actually dying. It shows carelessness on the part of the map designers... as well as the fact that these later quest packs were never playtested.

However in most quests, rooms with chests are usually noted in the quest notes as to their contents, but this has slipped past the careless map designers too. As Admiral mentioned, a quick fix for some of these would be adding a Pass Through Rock spell (Or Elven Cloak of Passage) into the chests.
In some of the more severe cases I'd either add a secret door (The Outer Caves) or allow the Wizard (or Elf) to cast Pass Through Rock despite broken Line of Sight.

I do like Lestodante's idea of using Ring of Return, however to do such in Flight to the Surface would be a severe act of desperation, as it would almost inevitably get the heroes killed.

However, in Quest for the Spirit Blade, I legitimized all Falling Block Traps, which can potentially trap the heroes, but I also added Secret Passage tiles connecting the empty room with the mummy room... the possibility to be trapped is still there, but i allow the other heroes to dig out any partners once the quest is complete and all monsters are defeated.
Last edited by wallydubbs on June 3rd, 2019, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » June 3rd, 2019, 8:44 am

wallydubbs wrote:However, in Quest for the Spirit Blade, I legitimized all Falling Block Traps, which can potentially trap the heroes, but I also added Secret Passage tiles connecting the empty room with the mummy room... the possibility to be trapped is still there, but i allow the other heroes to dig out any partners once the quest is complete and all monsters are defeated.

In the Search for the Spirit Blade, the Falling Block traps aren't placed on the board. They're only indicating weak ceilings, where rubble can drop down from time to time, without causing a full collapse. The Quest Notes are explicit about it, so Heroes can never get trapped in that quest, that way.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » June 3rd, 2019, 9:43 am

Maurice76 wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:However, in Quest for the Spirit Blade, I legitimized all Falling Block Traps, which can potentially trap the heroes, but I also added Secret Passage tiles connecting the empty room with the mummy room... the possibility to be trapped is still there, but i allow the other heroes to dig out any partners once the quest is complete and all monsters are defeated.

In the Search for the Spirit Blade, the Falling Block traps aren't placed on the board. They're only indicating weak ceilings, where rubble can drop down from time to time, without causing a full collapse. The Quest Notes are explicit about it, so Heroes can never get trapped in that quest, that way.

I'm aware, which is why I said "I legitimized" them for my group. I think it makes it more interesting for a hero to think he's trapped only to be relieved to find a secret Passage when searching for secret doors.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Maurice76 » June 3rd, 2019, 10:57 am

wallydubbs wrote:I'm aware, which is why I said "I legitimized" them for my group. I think it makes it more interesting for a hero to think he's trapped only to be relieved to find a secret Passage when searching for secret doors.

Ah, check, I misread your initial statement about those traps. I see what you mean now. I guess it can make for some interesting situations ;).

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » June 3rd, 2019, 3:48 pm

The Admiral wrote:I house ruled that the chest would contain a Pass Thru Rock scroll if needed, otherwise empty.

I don't like this... it is like I cause you a problem but... I give you the solution also, and in the same room! If there must be a scroll like that, I'd prefer to be in a far room. If the Heroes wish to save their trapped friend, someone have to found it, come back to the room and use Pass Through Rock spell, then adiacent to the other miniature pass the scroll and finish his movement exiting the room; at this point the trapped Hero will use the given scroll to exit. But this is will be so difficult to realize in a quest like this, so it can be used as an idea for another quest.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » June 3rd, 2019, 5:45 pm

lestodante wrote:
The Admiral wrote:I house ruled that the chest would contain a Pass Thru Rock scroll if needed, otherwise empty.

I don't like this... it is like I cause you a problem but... I give you the solution also, and in the same room! If there must be a scroll like that, I'd prefer to be in a far room. If the Heroes wish to save their trapped friend, someone have to found it, come back to the room and use Pass Through Rock spell, then adiacent to the other miniature pass the scroll and finish his movement exiting the room; at this point the trapped Hero will use the given scroll to exit. But this is will be so difficult to realize in a quest like this, so it can be used as an idea for another quest.

It was just my solution. I fundamentally don't agree with no win situations where a falling block will prevent access to a Quest specific location. In this case there is actually no need to get into the room, and simply stepping away from the trap will solve the problem. If a Hero is stupid enough to step into the room then they deserved to die, barring outside help, so my scroll in the chest was probably overly generous in this case.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » June 19th, 2019, 9:45 am

Has it ever occurred to anyone that Zargon could use this, not to trap a hero, but just cut off one of their escape routes?
Zargon/Morcar, on his his turn, in Flight to the Surface, can activate any room/open any door at the start of his turn.
I do not care for trapping heroes like this, but Zargon/Morcar, seeing the heroes head down this hallway, could activate the room before the heroes get there... or maybe split the heroes up if one chooses to pass the door to check the following corridor.

However, if a hero does get trapped I would add the Pass Through Rock spell in the chest or at least leave a secret door into the cut off hallway. This is only because I hate cheap non-deaths that keep a hero trapped forever. He's not dead, but nor can you kill him, it's like a stalemate in chess, where the king is not in check, but nor can he move.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Next

Return to Against the Ogre Horde