• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Expanded HQ Universe

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Expanded HQ Universe

Postby Weltenlaeufer » April 15th, 2019, 7:41 pm

I just received my first Dwarven Forge set in the mail..... :shock: :shock:

blown....a...w...a...y....

I expected a lot from these guys...but not THIS..... The pieces are heavy as stone, feel amazing in the hands and are beyond detailed...I ve never seen something as cool as this before. These guys are insane...true artists.

I already see the heroes face the caverns on their next mission to kill the orc warlord! :lol:

Thanks to Krautscientists help I also finally started painting my minis. :mrgreen: A huge thank you! Without his tutorials and advice I wouldnt have dared touching them and even if they would have never come even close to an okay paintjob. Beer in Krakow, brother! The offer stands ;) :mrgreen:

Here are the first of the painted ones...I tried to get as close to KS"s paintjob as I could...still a long way to go. But I am super happy that they look okay so far. I would have never thought I could pull that off. :)

And the skeletons...still a few things I wanna add (at the blades).

And a few orcs I was working on today...still a few more steps to go here as well.

Last edited by Weltenlaeufer on March 22nd, 2024, 6:00 am, edited 12 times in total.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Weltenlaeufers Expanded HQ Universe

Postby Maurice76 » April 16th, 2019, 4:57 am

Weltenlaeufer wrote:Here is the cavern entrance. I think I gonna chase my group through these a lot before they start the mainmission.

I think there's going to be an impression issue ... the entrance to the main mission is far more impressive than the bland, normal HQ board :P. It's going to go pale in a superb way, compared to the caverns. Do you plan to also do something similar for the main board, though?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » April 16th, 2019, 6:26 am

The mainboard is so awesome...its all modular you know. :) I really love the regular Hero Quest Board. Its just incredibly cool! I was thinking getting some simple wooden elevation blocks and a black board canvas to just put the board above the caverns once they have passed through.

In the winter I maybe gonna build 3 d version of the mainboard with Hirstarts molds but thats a whole nother project. :) I saw a really nice 3 d version of the board that inspired me. Now its painting minis mission for me. I took a break from playing with my group until I finish the minis. :lol: :)

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » April 16th, 2019, 7:14 am

That entrance is it not coming from Thantos?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » April 16th, 2019, 7:20 am

Anderas wrote:That entrance is it not coming from Thantos?

Yup, it was a mistake in an order I made cause I wanted to get regular size door for the mainboard. But here the size fits perfect, I just had to pop it in there. ;)

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby KrautScientist » April 17th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Glad to finally see your thread, mate! :)

That dungeon is just unreal! It came painted like that, right? In any case, what a fantastic gaming environment! I am notoriously stingy with spending money on terrain, especially premium terrain like that, so I am a bit envious of you, both for owning those pieces and for actually making the decision to go ahead and buy them.

Your models are looking great -- I am so happy you've been getting some mileage out of the tutorial and painting tips, and the results speak for themselves -- great work so far! Keep painting! :)

Rewards:
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Weltenlaeufer » April 18th, 2019, 12:07 pm

KrautScientist wrote:Glad to finally see your thread, mate! :)

That dungeon is just unreal! It came painted like that, right? In any case, what a fantastic gaming environment! I am notoriously stingy with spending money on terrain, especially premium terrain like that, so I am a bit envious of you, both for owning those pieces and for actually making the decision to go ahead and buy them.

Your models are looking great -- I am so happy you've been getting some mileage out of the tutorial and painting tips, and the results speak for themselves -- great work so far! Keep painting! :)

Thanks brother! Great to hear your positive feedback on the minis!! I am really grateful for your instructions. And yes, my painting mission is on! :)

II gotta say it took me a couple years after I saw my first Dwarven Forge caverns online to take the plunge. I fell in love with them back then but didnt think of actually buying them because I had no context on how to use them. After getting HeroQuest earlier this year, finding this forum and getting so inspired I worked myself up to it. When they arrived I had the same feeling like when I was a kid, unpacking HeroQuest on christmas eve, or getting the Skeletor castle! :) :) You can see there was a lot of love put into these. Its really terrain-art what these guys are doing. :) And yes it came prepainted.

I gonna finish the remaining orcs this week and then off to the fimirs! :):) Cant wait to play again once I am done!

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » April 29th, 2019, 9:59 am

So while painting the miniatures I was able to hunt down a second cavern set! Its perfect table size now with a mainroom and passages that can be adjusted and reconfigured. Friggin excessive personality disorder... :lol:

This whole set screams for custom made missions, I gotta start getting creative!

Here are some pictures of the cavern set up. I still think about how to blend the outside terrain with the maingame missions in a way that includes more of a roleplaying aspect for the outside terrain areas....I have checked into some dnd rules but gotta read more on it. I wanna keep it simple as possible.

Or I just check the mainquest, take a few monsters from there and let them occupy the caverns as an entry to the maiboard. It might thin out the mainmission though....mmmm I still havent come up with a good solution yet. If anyone has a good idea, its highly appreciated! :)

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » May 1st, 2019, 9:41 am

Those painted miniatures look amazing! Great job! I'm also scared to really tackle painting since I have no skills at all, and I seriously doubt mine would come out anywhere near as good as yours.

And seeing them in all that terrain just looks so cool!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » May 1st, 2019, 12:23 pm

Spookyhappyfun wrote:Those painted miniatures look amazing! Great job! I'm also scared to really tackle painting since I have no skills at all, and I seriously doubt mine would come out anywhere near as good as yours.

And seeing them in all that terrain just looks so cool!

Thank you so much spookyhappyfun!! All credit has to go to Krautscientist really. Without his help and explanations, his description of colorscheme and a step by step guide I wouldnt even have started or come even close to an okay looking paintjob. :)

I can only encourage you to start, its really fun. I didnt have any skill either. Its so much easier when you have a good starting point and an idea on what to do, which colors work etc. Below is a link to his excellent thread, there are explanations for the goblins and orcs and other models all over the thread, if you havent read it yet. I keep coming back to it over and over. It lays out the steps and once you get started you ll learn bit by bit like me. :)

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=4504

Cheers from Krakow!

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member