• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Last nights Hq game.

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Last nights Hq game.

Postby Lowery_79 » March 10th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Hello,

Just thought I would let you guys know how last nights HQ game went for our game night. With a friend playing as Mocar Von Zargon insted of myself, we had 10 people scheduled to play. The thought of a total of 9 heroes playing at one time during one quest was kind of exciting for me, but very daunting. Three of the heroes could not make game night ultimately. Which took us back down to 6 heroes, which is a round the normal number for us.

With that being said 2 of the players last night were new (My brother and his girl friend, though he had played once with me years ago). So I had to come up with two new heroes for them with a days notice. So my brother took on the roll of the "Thief". I found a few different ways to do this hero and art for it from a Spanish sight I be leave. I also borrowed two of the elf skill cards someone else had made to give him a couple skill cards. Here is what that came out like:

This is the card back for both skills

two skills

His girlfriend took on the roll of a "Wolf Nomad" (This idea came from an old book series called https://www.thriftbooks.com/series/grey ... res/41935/
books 3-6 were wrote about "Wolf Nomads"

The card back from this card is used for her wolf and it's ability
(any input anyone can give to help me improve her wolves ability would be great)

I used the Shapeshifter from this website
https://aginsinn.yeoldeinn.com/heroes/shapeshifter.html

A friend played the "Elven Sorceress" I was working on and posted here already.

Her husband used the "Elven Archer"

My wife used her Fairy-Elf I posted here just before posting the "Elven Sorceress"

Then two other people used used female "Dwarves" (So in all the only regular Heroes being played were the "Dwarves")

Even with the amount of heroes the game went well. We played the Forgotten Legends Quest from the Witch Lord Expansion Pack. As we've been playing from the Main Game straight through the Expansions.
Lowery_79

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Last nights Hq game.

Postby angeldeath » March 10th, 2019, 8:20 pm

what kind of minis did you use for each character?
Whatever has to do with Hero quest, never enough
angeldeath

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby mitchiemasha » March 10th, 2019, 11:41 pm

Not sure why the wolf would be a once only thing. It should also be insanely fast.

Wolf
Sense Danger: Upon discovering a wandering monster it can't immediately attack you.

I'm going to implement the same idea with FATE tokens, you can receive 1 if meeting a fortune teller at the INN, mini PreQuest game. I need ideas for the cost of the telling.

"Monsters coming towards you before you see them" It's kind of a confusing. I presume it means wandering monsters only but the addition of your clarification only serve to cloud what it clarifies. If it doesn't mean that, it's not even a thing in the game, all movable monsters are seen. I love the idea, just needs word tweaking.

I removed the Long Bow from the armoury a few days back. I'm not sure how practical it would be for a dungeon exploring adventurer.

To simplify weapon restrictions across all potential characters created, instead of applying them to each character, you can apply it to the weapon as value. As body and Mind add up to 10, a high mind means low body, use body as the key. Example, a Short Sword is 5, shield 5, a Battle axe 7. This automatically rules out the wizard etc from using them. Making the brute force weapons usable by only the strongest of Heroes.

The best and simple mod for THIEF is, 'Search in presence of monsters', I'm not a fan of pickpocket. As for sneak, I spent quite some time on that. It's a little complex but I think I finally got it after many rewrites. The main concept is, it should be harder to sneak past more intelligent monsters, their mind should be a factor. I see it thematically as more the art of distraction and trickery... whilst lurking in the shadows. Not every thief chooses to have it. Others not a thief may have it, Assassin. Which introduces the BACKSTAB via the Hidden Blade Artefact, a powerful attack, only while sneaking.

Now I'm off to find my self a nice wolf mini.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Lowery_79 » March 11th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Thanks for your guys reply and input. Hopefully this answers angeldeath's question about what minis I used for each character:
The min. used for my brothers Thief came from the Dragon Strike board game (If someone wanted to use a female Thief they could just use the female Thief min from the same game)
FYI When painting these when I was younger I tried to give the male Thief a mustache.

As for the Female (and Male / his Wolf ) Wolf Nomad and her Wolf. I got them from a hobby store about a half hr from my house and I don't know what they are ( D&D, Ral Partha min. or what)

For the Shapeshifter I used this group of min:
The male here came from the same hobby store I said before. The female her was one of the slave girls set I ordered as a kid. https://www.nobleknight.com/P/214743320 ... and-Slaves
And the Shapeshifter from from this website (https://aginsinn.yeoldeinn.com/heroes/shapeshifter.html) was not clear if it ever turned to man form. But I thought it would have to or could so I added it to mine.
Though I want to buy an eagle min for this form, for now I use a Photoshoped squire from Ron Shirtz Balcony Tile
The tiger form came from the same mail order place that I bought the slave girls set from
The bear form I be leave was a dire bear that came from the same hobby store I said before

The min. we use for the Elven Sorceress was one of the lord of the ring min someone gave me because they knew I painted min. I'm still working on her paint job and have not gotten very far yet.

The Elven Archer min. comes from the Dragon Strike board game (for a female Elven Archer or female Elf I use this min from the same hobby store I said before)
I also wanted to clarify from what I said before the friend's husband that normally plays this Hero was Mocar Von Zargon and did not play this hero Saturday.

My wife's Fairy-Elf min was from a set I ordered as a kid called Savage Sisters II
https://picclick.com/Ral-Partha-01-032- ... id=1&pid=2

Lastly before I end for tonight. I will answer mitchiemasha's questions and replies tomorrow the night has gotten away from me and like everybody work calls first thing in the morning. Plus one thing I didn't menchen about Saturday's game night was that we ended up playing in the dark using candles and flash lights do to a storm knocking power out here. We started playing round 6pm and the power went out round 8pm. It was out til 10 am Sunday morning.
Lowery_79

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Lowery_79 » March 12th, 2019, 10:17 pm

I wanted to take some time to night and reply to mitchiemasha about his thoughts on the Wolf Nomad and their Wolf.

To clarify the wolf for the Wolf Nomad is not a one time thing. The wolf is like a second hero for the player using the Wolf Nomad Hero. So it always plays when it's human counter part does. That player just has to decide for any given turn weather they are going to use the Wolf first or the Wolf Nomad. I just wanted the backs of the cards to match as a set. The way we played this hero is, my Brother's Girlfriend had both the hero card and the wolf's card out in front of her so she could see both of their stats if you will. Also I found the normal sized wolf card awhile back (not a giant wold like that of the Elf Quest pack).
https://aginsinn.yeoldeinn.com/monsters/wolf.html
I did a quick fudge on the look of this card to use for the first time for Saturdays game night. I did not change it's stats, as for the speed of the Wolf. I was told that a wolf in an all out run can run 47mph. While a horse can run 55mph in an all out run, thus the horse is faster. Anything I need to change for the wolf I would like to keep that in mind. As well as the fact that the Giant Wolf from the Elf quest Pack has a speed of 8 (https://rollingdicewithfriends.fandom.c ... ntWolf.png).

side Note:
Just came across this wolf https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1373104591 while checking the giant wolf movement.

So it kinda makes since that a normal wolf's speed would be 6. Then there is the fact that the Hero Quest Centaur (viewtopic.php?f=143&t=1912&start=40) has a speed of 3 red dice. I'm guessing that would work for a horse to. The Centaur was released from the Brazilian community they published some Heroes in games magazines. Lastly as far as speed goes I want to add wolf riders, a wild boar, orc boar boyz, and knights on horse back to Heroquest. All of which would not take place on the HQ board but a field plan kinda like Warhammeron the heroes way to a quest or to a castle. So ya a movement talk for these things would be great to, to keep all of them in relation.

For the Wolf's ability I was originally thinking it could sense danger from just a round a corner before ("seeing it, like seeing danger from behind a door before you open it") something could attack them. Much like a dog barks or growls when it senses something (my dogs do it a lot even when nothing is there lol). But, yes again I had to quickly through this and the thief hero together just before we played. So I didn't know if the ability "Sense Danger" should be a one time thing for the wolf or not. Though I like the idea of "Upon discovering a wandering monster it can't immediately attack you".
I'm glad that someone likes this idea to. I do want to improve this hero.

Thanks for the ideas to simplify weapon restrictions when it comes to new characters being created.

For the Thief I do like the wording better "Search in presence of monsters". When putting that down for the hero I was having trouble coming up with what to say to get that point across. Again the Thief would need much more work to. Not sure if I will keep "pickpocket". But I agree with what your saying about a "Sneak Ability" a monsters intelligence should play a factor in that. I thought about adding this ability but I was not sure how to do it so I just used the elf skill card I found so I could at least make this character playable Saturday. I also liked the idea of a BACKSTAB via the Hidden Blade Artifact, but again with the time I had then I was not sure how to work that all out at the time.

Good luck on finding the nice wolf mini, there are a lot of good ones out there..
Lowery_79

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby mitchiemasha » March 13th, 2019, 5:55 am

Lowery_79 wrote:To clarify the wolf for the Wolf Nomad is not a one time thing.

I'm often misexplained to from quotes. I guessed the wolf was a second hero for the player due to it having stats etc. The 'one time thing' was purely related to "Once per quest the wolf can sense danger".

As well as the fact that the Giant Wolf from the Elf quest Pack has a speed of 8

Just because a Giant wolf is bigger doesn't mean it has to be faster, due to it's increased size, this could make it slower. I would easily give the wolf 10 or even 12 move or if you want a roll, 2d8 if you have them, if not 3d6 pick 2.

For the Wolf's ability I was originally thinking it could sense danger from just a round a corner before

Right, so it is 1 of what i thought it could be but concluded it isn't. Your choice of wording doesn't work. It's not clear what triggers it or what to do once triggered. "monsters coming towards you before you see them" isn't a thing in the game.

Here, something like this:
Once per quest your wolf can sense danger due to their heightened senses
(Reveal monsters in the next room or corridor without activating, entering it)

At no point in the game would the EW be moving an unseen monster towards a Hero. And even if it was, it still didn't specify what to do, how to carry out the trait/ability.

another way could be:
Once per quest your wolf can sense danger due to their heightened senses
(The EW must declare if monsters are in the next room or corridor)

Which is pretty weak and pointless, in most cases you'd have to enter the room or corridor regardless. This would be much better unlimited.

Your wolf can sense danger due to its heightened senses.
Upon request, the EW must declare if monsters are in the next room or corridor area.
When discovering a Wandering monster it can't immediately attack you.

In my mods I have a universal suffix, 'AREA' replacing room or corridor, when meaning both. If using AREA, it also removes the potential misinterpretation of 'OR'. An EW might interpret the 'OR' to mean it's their choice to tell you which one it is. No doubt we'll come up with a much better way to write these lines over the next few weeks.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 13th, 2019, 6:35 am

The trick with mods is to use the terms in the game... or to add a new term to unify existing terms, as long as that is clarified in your rule set.

which is why I write:
When discovering a Wandering monster it can't immediately attack you.

It clearly states when (you can only discover a wandering monster during a treasure search or the Chaos tokens mod) and it clearly states what it can't do, what your ability negates, "immediately attack" is the last words of the wandering monster card. Everything else is as normal, the monster would be placed next to you, if it can't be, the nearest it can be. Remember a wandering monster is only as such for the sake of the immediate attack on the searching Hero, after that, it's simply the monster that's on the board, moves and attacks as normal.

As you've wrote it, it's not clear what "Ignore all wandering Monsters" means. Some could take that to mean, when drawing a wandering monster card, you simply ignore it, discard it, no monster is placed. Then there's all this extra wording about close proximity (again, not in the game), just how close is close? (rhetorical) And, you've also made it so that a Wandering monster discovered via another Hero can now do it's attack on you instead of the searching Hero
unless someone else in your party stumbles across one, while you're in close proximity, at which time you can be attacked by this monster and all other combat is as normal.

Some could take "ignore" to mean you're completely immune to any monster that was brought into the game via Wandering Monster, unless it was in close proximity discovered by another Hero, and now the EW would need to track these monsters throughout a quest. I doubt that's your intention but that's what it reads.

The extra clarification only works towards clouding what it clarifies. Strip it back and think more like computer code. Think of the possible ways people might misinterpret the mod, then change it to rule that out. Always keeping it extremely simple. In many cases it's the words you don't use that make it clearer.

I hope my words help you in your quest in game development.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 13th, 2019, 6:46 am

One more... a horse isn't going to be very fast in a dungeon. Using it for reference is irrelevant.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » March 13th, 2019, 7:53 am

I agree with mitchiemasha. The way he worded it, that Wandering Monsters can't immediately attack you, seems most clean and sharp.

The point is that Wandering Monsters surprise a Hero because he's searching for (whatever), and therefore is not clearly paying attention to his surroundings for whatever is moving about. A monster is then able to get the drop on the Hero, being able to attack first. The Wolf senses the approaching monsters, however, if it has that skill and therefore is able to warn the Hero of the impending arrival of said monsters, annuling the chance of those monsters to surprise the Hero in question.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 13th, 2019, 10:02 am

Maurice76 wrote:The point is that Wandering Monsters surprise a Hero because he's searching for (whatever), and therefore is not clearly paying attention to his surroundings for whatever is moving about. A monster is then able to get the drop on the Hero, being able to attack first. The Wolf senses the approaching monsters, however, if it has that skill and therefore is able to warn the Hero of the impending arrival of said monsters, annuling the chance of those monsters to surprise the Hero in question.

Yes... That's exactly as i see it.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion