• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Stripping

Tips and tricks for painting miniatures and anything else.

Stripping

Postby David Otto » April 4th, 2017, 2:55 pm

Hi there, this is only my second post so as you can imagine this is going to be a very newb question!

Ive nearly completed my basic set of mini's and they have all come from different homes but for the most part there covered with over thick layers of decade old paint, furthermore, they all apear to have been painted without any of the mould seems shaved down so they look really poor...

Whats the best (simplest) way of stipping them back to stock so I can start a fresh?
Is bleach and an old tooth brush an effective method or do they need somthing more aggressive?

David
David Otto

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Stripping

Postby slev » April 4th, 2017, 3:32 pm

From your language use, I'm guessing you're in the UK, in which case, soak them in Dettol for 48 hours, then remove the gunk with a cheap toothbrush.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby David Otto » April 4th, 2017, 4:36 pm

slev wrote:From your language use, I'm guessing you're in the UK,

For all my sins I live just outside of Stoke on Trent :D

Thanks for the advice, I'll get them in soak tonight :D
David Otto

Hero:

Postby Thantos » April 5th, 2017, 5:03 am

From the thread title, I was expecting a different subject of conversation :P oh well, this is interesting also ;)

Yep as Slev says, but just dont try to rinse them in water until all the paint is off, else it gunks up like anything. Rinse in Dettol and scrub with dettol.
Also i found the flavoured stuff like apple dettol doesnt work, only the original brown one. Good luck! Post results! ;)
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » April 5th, 2017, 5:44 am

David Otto wrote:For all my sins I live just outside of Stoke on Trent :D

My condolences!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Figomurphy » April 6th, 2017, 9:31 am

I found nail polish remover works best. 24 hours in that and the paint falls off.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Figomurphy

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » April 6th, 2017, 2:47 pm

I've got some minis in Dettol right now. Same ones keep going back for a bath. Another good tip is you can reuse it. Filter it through a cloth duster into another tub. All the clumps of paint will be caught in the cloth.

Don't be fooled by the lack of a toxic warning. Dettol can still be dangerous.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » April 6th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Figomurphy wrote:I found nail polish remover works best. 24 hours in that and the paint falls off.

Yes.....

Once I did this on an AtOH ogre that had been painted and glued. Wasn't in 24 hours....maybe 12-16.

The paint was totally gone, but the miniatures features also seemed to have "melted". Damndest thing. Never soaked in nail polish remover after that. Still have the mini as a reminder not to do that again.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 7th, 2017, 1:06 am

I wanna see pictures of the stripping in progress.
:mrgreen: Tee. I'm a dirty old man.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » April 7th, 2017, 4:10 am

Figomurphy wrote:I found nail polish remover works best. 24 hours in that and the paint falls off.

No, never try this!
Nail polish remover is normally acetone, and it will ruin the figures. If you keep them in there long enough, they will dissolve completely!
There are some newer "skin-friendlier" nail polish removers on the market, based on other chemicals, and Figumurphy seems to have had luck to pick one of these, but the majority is still acetone based. And even if you look to pick up one of the "healthy" brands, I won't take a bet that the chemical you end up with is healthy to plastic figures too.
As for me, normal cheap household spirit (denaturized alcohol) was always suffiecient to remove acrylic paints.

Frankly, I, too, thought this would be about a different kind of strip.
Stripping the heroes off their equipment, or the like ;)
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Painting