• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Back at it again.....and quite excited!

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

Back at it again.....and quite excited!

Postby Blammo » October 7th, 2015, 12:45 pm

Greetings to all the Inn folk here!

It's good to be here among so many Heroquest lovers!

I guess it all started for me and HQ back in England in '89. I was 14 and got the game for Xmas, i think i remember seeing the commercial when it came out and asking for it. Before HQ i was into other role-playing games but not many of the board type. I was a big reader of Fighting Fantasy books and loved the fantasy settings and played role-playing stuff like Cyberpunk, old role playing Star Trek game, Warhammer fantasy as well as a lil table top figure gaming at an adventure club i used to pay to go to. Seeing HQ i knew i needed it!

I played the game with a few mates of mine but mostly played the part of Morcar. I can't really remember playing an adventurer that much at all but i do have a few old character sheets that say i did at some point. I had a lot of fun with the game back then and bought the first 2 expansions as well which were cool. I remember going to Games Workshop in the nearby town of Bury St Edmund's with my friends on the bus and buying RotWL that day. I also remember going through it all on the ride back........top of the double decker....big smile on my face!.....i never have forgotten that.

I moved to the USA in '91 and most of my stuff got boxed up and shipped over on a ship in a crate with the rest of the house stuff. While in high school over here i made friends and before too long i was becoming Morcar again! We gamed for a bit but stopped after i graduated high school, i guess due to being distracted at other things in life at 18.

The game got put up and away for years at my mums house and at about 29 years of age after bouncing around a few apartments and women i got married and moved into my own house with my wife. The game eventually made it to my house but spent some years in the storage shed outside and then to the attic of the house for a few more years.
One day i was cleaning up in the attic and i saw it sitting in the back in a plastic bag. From there it moved into my closet for another year or so.

The other day i was playing a Mini Lego game called Minotaurus that one of my kids got for Xmas a few years back. It's pretty basic but it is fun to play, especially with my 2 kids who are 8 and 10. We had fun and it got me thinking about how great board games are again and how much they don't play them because of the pace of life and different times we live in these days.....and also other distractions like computers and Xbox's.

So the other day i dug the old HQ game out of the closet and was quite surprised that it was all in great shape inside the box, no missing pieces except one side of a treasure chest and a broken goblin wep. This was awesome! The box itself has some wear and one of the corners is torn a lil and needs strengthening. I have no idea where my 2 expansions went which is sad but hopefully i can get them again in time though due to the costs and rarity these days......and I'm not rich or anything hehe. What made me smile the most was the old character sheets and the shield designs and motto's! They brought back some good memories!

I'm 40 now but haven't changed much at all inside.......I just still love games and fantasy stuff a lot and still have that kids imagination inside me for this stuff........i refuse to give up my "likes", even with the pressures posed by society on what we should be doing in our lives at certain ages. I like what i like and i love Heroquest! It has been awoken......again!

With all this said i have been all around the web this past week on a "Heroquest high!"....checking out the websites and forums, catching up on all the different versions of the game and the expansions beyond the first 2 i once had as a youngster in England and finally ending up here looking to make a home somewhere with like minded Heroquest lovin people like yourselves!

Hopefully i haven't gone to big with this intro, i just cant help it. I'm excited to get my kids into the game.......i still haven't convinced my wife to play yet (boooriiiiiing!) but I'm sure i can get the kids cousin or neighbor friend to join at some point. Finding out about the various differences between the UK/EU and the US version i have decided to buy an American copy and try that version as i think it would be good for my kids to work together at a harder task than playing competitively against each other with the easier monster-ed UK version. The chaos spells also intrigue me as does the 5 extra Artifacts.

I do have a few of questions and i will try to find the right topics to ask them in so i don't spam up the place with new topics.

...so....this is my Heroquest story.......and i hope you all will have me! :-)

Blam
Blammo

Skeleton
Skeleton

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Back at it again.....and quite excited!

Postby cynthialee » October 7th, 2015, 1:28 pm

Welcome aboard.
This is a great group and as HQ is so basic I find I can easily incorporate the dungeons into other game systems.
Hoping to get a HQ game going this weekend with my wife and room mate. Last time we played it was a debacle. They never got past the first room.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » October 7th, 2015, 1:52 pm

Wow! Welcome to the inn!!!
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » October 7th, 2015, 2:17 pm

Hail!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » October 7th, 2015, 3:54 pm

Great story!

Welcome to the inn |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » October 7th, 2015, 8:43 pm

Welcome to the Inn! It's a great place to be.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Decipher » October 7th, 2015, 9:03 pm

Welcome! I love reading stories like this one. Sounds a little like mine.
"The game eventually made it to my house but spent some years in the storage shed outside and then to the attic of the house for a few more years." A shed? Outside? :shock: :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Blammo » October 8th, 2015, 11:36 am

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I look forward to digging through some posts and finding more about what all is going on with HQ these days. Also looking forward to reading the american rules and comparing them to the originals. Im quite surprised to find the equipment cards replaced by the board thing and just how different they did the game for the different countries. I wonder the motivation behind this.
Blammo

Skeleton
Skeleton

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » October 8th, 2015, 11:39 am

Blammo wrote:Thanks for the welcome guys!

I look forward to digging through some posts and finding more about what all is going on with HQ these days. Also looking forward to reading the american rules and comparing them to the originals. Im quite surprised to find the equipment cards replaced by the board thing and just how different they did the game for the different countries. I wonder the motivation behind this.

Weeelll, my theory is they noticed how they botched the EU version when they opened the NA market with its rather established RPG scene. They wanted to introduce cohesiveness and be done with the sloppiness of the EU version, is all.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » October 8th, 2015, 11:47 am

Take the bits you like from each version. There is absolutely no consensus on which bits are better, at least on here!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Ye Olde Lobby