• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Any luck making a decent Bard hero for HQ?

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Any luck making a decent Bard hero for HQ?

Postby GimmeYerGold » October 29th, 2013, 12:02 am

I have some ideas, but I feel to get over the typical bard stigma, I'm going to have to be really creative for him not to be a rehash of the elf. Possible a combo class character?

Anyone have any experience introducing this character class successfully into a HQ quest?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Any luck making a decent Bard hero for HQ?

Postby knightkrawler » October 29th, 2013, 2:13 am

Not very popular among players, I tell you.
But he can be a weighed out character replacing the Elf.
Starting stats: 2 AD/ 2 DD, 5 BP, 5 MP, 6 spells (include the Elf spells in the picking)
He may not use any weapon that gives him 3 or more attack dice, and he may not wear any armor other than the wizard's cloak and the bracers.
Here's what gives him a little mystery background and can make him VERY attractive for players:
The bard may use or wear ANY artefact.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » October 29th, 2013, 7:26 am

I thought of the 5 BP / 5 MP distro of points too, but how do I justify a bard having more mind points than a magically adept elf?

Also I should mention I have a player requesting to play a bard. Or as he put it "an ex paladin rogue bard." So we'll see.

What exactly is an ex paladin like? I guess that depends on the transgression that revoked his paladin status...

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » October 29th, 2013, 10:57 am

GimmeYerGold wrote:
What exactly is an ex paladin like? I guess that depends on the transgression that revoked his paladin status...

Just tell the player that he aspired to much before he died unceremoniously. I call those types of players "muppet babies." They aspire to do too much, but don't want to work for it slowly (which is absurd for HQ anyway).

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » October 29th, 2013, 11:28 am

As far as roleplaying goes, I think a character who has resorted to performance art, when formerly employed as a knight is an interesting character. It's more believable to me than a straight up minstrel-type going on dangerous adventures. It also legitimizes a "jack-of-all-trades" character. He could be equally fair-to-middling at both swordplay and instrument-playing, so he's not too powerful in either.

My monk character is a sort of hybrid monk/cleric who rests between the barbarian and the wizard, as far as her stats and skills: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1967

I'd like the "Bard" or whatever I'll call him to sit somewhere between the dwarf and the elf. I'm looking to create an additional character, not a replacement character. It's a challenge, but I think I'm beginning to get some ideas...

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » October 29th, 2013, 11:43 am

mind points are not only an indicator for intellect and intelligence, but also for willpower, magical and mystical resistance and stuff like that.
You basically have to take this all into consideration, because there's only 2 attributes in Body and Mind.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » October 29th, 2013, 11:44 am

GimmeYerGold wrote:As far as roleplaying goes, I think a character who has resorted to performance art, when formerly employed as a knight is an interesting character. It's more believable to me than a straight up minstrel-type going on dangerous adventures. It also legitimizes a "jack-of-all-trades" character. He could be equally fair-to-middling at both swordplay and instrument-playing, so he's not too powerful in either.

My monk character is a sort of hybrid monk/cleric who rests between the barbarian and the wizard, as far as her stats and skills: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1967

I'd like the "Bard" or whatever I'll call him to sit somewhere between the dwarf and the elf. I'm looking to create an additional character, not a replacement character. It's a challenge, but I think I'm beginning to get some ideas...

There's the pantsy bard/jester cliché and there's the skald idea. You can go that way to put him between Dwarf and Elf.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby GimmeYerGold » October 29th, 2013, 11:58 am

I'm toying with the idea of naming this combo warrior/bard class "Freelancer." Someone who is decent at fighting, and takes up other professions during times of peace, like performing an instrument or picking up odd jobs. It's more vague, but removes any negative connotations associated with "Bard."

If we're talking about "vague" hero names, look no further than "Dwarf" and "Elf" :)

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » October 29th, 2013, 12:02 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bard%2 ... eo_game%29

How to make a Bard work in a video game rpg.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » October 29th, 2013, 12:04 pm

This is why nobody has made a decent bard!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Heroes