• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Dungeon Crusade for my fellow HQ brothers

Guests may gather here to barter their goods, let others know what items they are searching for and post links to items others may be interested in. Or just vent about the outrageous prices on eBay.
Forum rules
Ye Olde Inn is not responsible for the trades/purchases made in this forum. Please exchange private information and transaction details via PM.

Dungeon Crusade for my fellow HQ brothers

Postby Groovus » September 22nd, 2013, 7:53 pm

Hello all, my name is Rodger Deering and I want to share my game with you Dungeon Crusade. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/527 ... on-crusade I have been wanting to make the most massive, fun dungeon crawl game aimed at the solo player (but more can play) since I was a kid. 7 1/2 years I put it into motion. When you see Dungeon Crusade now, it is the concept art I designed to show off my prototype. A professional 2D artist will be doing all of the art, which I'm going for a late 70's/early 80's look with a slight modern look to it. Along the lines of a Heroquest look.

There are many unique features in Dungeon Crusade that will set it apart from other dungeon crawl games. Such as a siege phase that happens right at the outset of the game, where the heroes have bashed the doors down, and your into combat right off the bat. There is a light & dark system in play. As you explore the dungeon and flip over dungeon tiles, some tiles are well lit, while others are "dark rooms" which lower the encounter track, risking a chance for a bad encounter for the heroes. As I said, I'm targeting my fellow solo gamers. I've made the monsters A.I. tactics VERY challenging and deadly. They have special attacks like the heroes, and they use them in the most unique ways. And with 4 difficulties, Recruit, Normal, Heroic and Legendary it will keep you busy for awhile.

Also in Dungeon Crusade, the dungeon is multileveled. As you explore, you'll find stairways that descend to the next level. But what awaits players are tougher monsters, dark rooms become more frequent. And at the bottom of the dungeon (after level 3) is the Lair tile. A 12x12 inch tile, with a boss to kill. Another huge addition to Dungeon Crusade and unique to it is the village.

After you have combat in the dungeon. You'll have XP from the monster you kill and gold to spend. It's time then to head to the village. The first thing you do when arriving there, is check the bounty board. The village has a bounty board and will pay you 100 gold if there is a bounty out for a certain monster. You roll a D8, then consult the bounty board. So for example, if you rolled 3, and on the board undead was "3", for each undead you have, your paid 100 gold. The merchant in the village sells torches and treasure cards. The merchant only has 5 torches for the entire game. There used to illuminate dark rooms in the dungeon, so you can see unexplored edges to place new tiles, and to negate any stat bonuses the monsters might have in that dark room. Loot in Dungeon Crusade is based on common (white) uncommon (green) rare (blue) epic (purple) legendary (orange) then...there's underworld artifacts, black level. There's only 3 in the whole game, and VERY hard to obtain, but if gotten, you can wield ungodly power. There is also a temple. At the temple you can buy blessings. Blessings are revealed after you kill your next monster. You then decide when to flip the blessing over to see what you received. Sometimes blessings are great, sometimes there not so great. There is a healing fountain. When you pay 300 gold, you can use it 1 time per visit. And finally, the temple sells Holy Revival. There is only 3 per game, and it allows you to bring back a hero that was knocked out in combat, to half of his health. There is also an inn to rest at in the village. This recharges your special and crusader abilities. Another big thing in the village is the academy. This is where you turn in the monsters you killed to level up and buy new powers for your heroes. The higher level the monster, the more XP its worth. There is also the allies realm. There are 3 allies who if you pay 300 gold and 5 xp, will join you. Each hero can have only 1 ally at a time. Allies are not as powerful as your heroes, but provide a little extra muscle to your party. After you have done your business in the village, you teleport back to the dungeon to continue your quest.

Theres so MUCH more to Dungeon Crusade. I want Dungeon Crusade to be everything that people and myself have always wanted from a dungeon crawl game. TONS of great looking minis, strategic and tactical, and the ability to play it solo and have a great time with monsters that will REALLY give you a run for your money But it lends its self perfectly with 2-5 players. And when the Dungeon Crusade web site launches, you'll be able to create and share your adventures with fellow players. I have TONS of content ready for my backers, 3 new heroes, expansions, more monsters from REAPER, new dungeon tiles. And this game will NEVER fall into the hands of a publisher. For the people who help me with Dungeon Crusade, this is OUR game. And we will create content that we want.. Im 110% dedicated to bring Dungeon Crusade out and have it be a juggernaut of a game, and show how a dungeon game should be done. From the videos Ive posted on You Tube, I think it's all coming together for what I've and others have wanted.

I launched my kickstarter, a few days ago, and my presentation was not up to par. I've learned ALOT. I have been getting it up to snuff for the past few days. But theres plenty to show how the game is shaping up. If you already like the look, the 2D artist will make it look even better. Soon, a unlock reward system will be in place as I discuss further with Ed about possible ideas I have for Dungeon Crusade.

this is the demo gameplay for Dungeon Crusade, gameplay is much tighter now than what is shown, and this game went perfect. (sorry for the camera, Im getting a tripod >>

THANK YOU for your time everyone. I wish you guys the best in life and happy gaming...talk to you soon.....Rodger Deering

setup for game >>

battle gameplay >>

end boss >>
Last edited by Groovus on October 6th, 2013, 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: embedded YouTube videos
Groovus

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Dungeon Crusade for my fellow HQ brothers

Postby Sjeng » September 23rd, 2013, 12:59 am

Interesting game. A small tip though: be carefull using monster names that are/may be copyrighted, such as "drow" and "aberrant". And obviously don't use any copyrighted artwork.

I'd like to see all your tiles. Double sided? How big? How many?
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Groovus » September 23rd, 2013, 2:23 am

Hi there Sjeng! Well met. :) Yeah, when I was doing those storyboards, I forgot to include the updated village board! Those names are gone from the current one. THANK YOU for pointing that out though. I'm using some stuff/art as place holders until I find a 2D artist I can join up with. But yes, fresh NEW content for everything. I'm going for a late 70's early 80's look to Dungeon Crusade. If you know anyone send them my way! The main tiles are going to be 6x6 inch tiles. I like the chunkier tiles, especially with the Reaper minis on them. There will be 30 of them. 15 well lit tiles, 15 dark room tiles. There will be 1 2 sided siege tile, that will be 6x12. Then 2 "next level tiles" that are also the 6x12. Then a lair tile 12x12 that will be double sided. I gotta get to bed, I've been up all day working on Dungeon Crusade!! Have a good day...Rodger :)
Groovus

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby torilen » September 23rd, 2013, 8:07 am

I'm going to restate what sjeng said. Make sure you don't use anything that is copyrighted...art, names, etc.
This would be not only for yourself, but to protect anyone who works with you, and I'll even go as far as to say
your backers, too.

I know it would be a great GREAT stretch for anyone to try and include financial backers in any sort of copyright
lawsuit...but I tell you, judges and courts have been doing some rally odd things as of late, and I wouldn't put it
beyond someone to at least try and include backers...in which case even if they don't win, those backers would have
to hire a lawyer and waste time and money.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Groovus » September 23rd, 2013, 12:09 pm

Hello there torilen, thank you for the info. As I stated. A 2D artist will be doing ALL NEW FRESH CONTENT exclusive to Dungeon Crusade. I make that clear that I have place holder art, it's a prototype, and not meant as a final product. But I know what your saying. And I thank you. I have to get back to work on some Dungeon Crusade stuff, have a great day all...talk to you soon :)
Groovus

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Patroclus » September 23rd, 2013, 5:26 pm

At first, congratz for your game, I wish you the best. It looks very good and I like the old fashion art.

It's interesting, with a lot of content inside (items, skills, etc). Though I don’t like games that are so focused in combat (I prefer exploration) I want to see all the video to tell you my opinion.

At first look, I like the initiative and the way you kill the skeleton before he plays. Also because it is a game of combat it is ok that the encounter keeps so long. But with only solo, I expected event cards in every new room you enter (for example, “there is a slave in the one corner of the room…protect him”), or else premade maps with all the enemies on the board and your heroes to try to “complete the challenge” (for example a quest to take the item from the one room and to use it on the other)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Groovus » September 23rd, 2013, 7:46 pm

Hello there Patroclus! Well met. :) Your doing what I want people to do with Dungeon Crusade...creating an adventure and sharing it. I have secured Dungeoncrusade.com as our hub "if" everything goes well. There you will be able to use a template to create and share scenarios and adventures you create for Dungeon Crusade to share with people. You can then download them and play. The site isn't live yet, but that's down the road. I spoke to a 2D artist today and we spoke about pricing and the art for Dungeon Crusade. His name is Daniel Warren, and his style in art lead me to him. SUPER nice guy!!! Again, he will be creating FRESH NEW ART of Dungeon Crusade exclusive to Dungeon Crusade. I'll be back guys...thank you again! Rodger Deering :)
Groovus

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Groovus » October 4th, 2013, 1:22 am

Hello guys! Dungeon Crusade has relaunched >>>> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/527 ... -crusade-0 have a great day, talk to you soon...Rodger :)
Groovus

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Sjeng » October 4th, 2013, 7:01 am

I thought you'd have changed the artwork and the names this time... I still see "drow" on the town map, and all the same pictures.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Dungeon Crusade 2014 (coming very soon)

Postby Groovus » February 2nd, 2014, 11:52 pm

Hello all, I hope your doing great! :) When I got on kickstarter last year, I had NO idea what I was doing. I'm a guitarist/prop builder and I'm a perfectionist at what I do. I was "influenced" by outside forces to get Dungeon Crusade on kickstarter, when I knew inside it wasn't ready. For the past few months, I started thinking, what do "I" want Dungeon Crusade to be? This game I have searched for, for years to give me the experience I was looking for. I started creating/developing what I exactly wanted Dungeon Crusade to be.
When I unveil what Dungeon Crusade has become, I think any one into Dungeons/Fantasy/RPG games are going to really like what it has to offer. I truly believe you haven't seen anything quite like it in a board game. It's fresh and unique and above all FUN.. I'm being tight lipped about it right now, but it is NOTHING like what I have shown. In a few weeks, I'll have a game debut trailer on "the journey" Dungeon Crusade will give players. Tune in to my You Tube channel to keep up to date. I wish everyone the best, and happy gaming! :) Rodger (Groovus) Deering p.s. I grew up playing Heroquest also, I think when you see Dungeon Crusade, your really going to enjoy what a gaming experience it will give. :) http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1476 ... on-crusade
Last edited by drathe on February 3rd, 2014, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged with previous related topic and moved to appropriate forum section
Groovus

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Next

Return to Ye Olde Market