• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ninja Turtles "sewer-crawler" on Kickstarter

Guests may gather here to barter their goods, let others know what items they are searching for and post links to items others may be interested in. Or just vent about the outrageous prices on eBay.
Forum rules
Ye Olde Inn is not responsible for the trades/purchases made in this forum. Please exchange private information and transaction details via PM.

Re: Ninja Turtles "sewer-crawler" on Kickstarter

Postby QorDaq » February 7th, 2016, 10:17 am

Goblin-King wrote:...fraggle everybody not on board with the Kickstarter apparently!...


From watching the intro video, I kind of got the impression that they are being somewhat unapologetic about taking this approach. Repeatedly our host tells us that there will be a ton of stuff only available through Kickstarter and that it was critical for fans to get the game through KS.

Obviously they want to sell their product to the masses, but I think they are targeting die-hard fans in particular, and, it seemed to me, like they were basically using KS as a marketplace to hock their labor of love.

Regardless, being one of those old farts that was something of a fan back in the mid 80s when it was a B&W underground-ish zine... (Mirage?), I'll probably back "The Works" pledge level... I'll be following closely though, I don't really care about the pizza box or the lithograph, so if they don't include a lot more value for the extra $50 I'll probably drop down to a more modest backing. Point being, I'm not going to hold it against the creators, that they are essentially making a KS project that is full of fan service and designed primarily for KS sales, because I might not be as likely to try and track this product down in a Brick and Mortar anyway--there is a ton of TMNT stuff out there that I have never seen or drooled over.

However, my son (6) likes TMNT in some contemporary incarnation or another, so this will be one more Dungeon Crawl that I'll be able to keep his attention with (He likes Mice and Mystics and Heroica... And Zombicide...heh)... So it'll be worth the investment for that also, again in-spite of the unapologetic KS-centric tact the creators are taking with this project.

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
User avatar
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 616
Joined: March 4th, 2014, 6:09 am
Location: U.S.
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Ninja Turtles "sewer-crawler" on Kickstarter

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » February 7th, 2016, 11:59 am

At least the TMNT have an excuse to be in the 'dungeon' all the time I sometimes struggle to find convincing new reasons for my Heroes to go subterranean again!
:skull: = one hit
:blackshield: = one hit & pushback
:whiteshield: = cancels one hit

HQ versions: "Original" - 1989 1st edition & 1990 2nd edition, "Remake" - 1990 NA remake & 2021 reprint

HQ Golden Rules
FAQs, Errata & Clarifications for the Original Editions
HQ Common Notification System

1BP = :goblin: :orc: :skeleton: :zombie:
2BP = :fimir: :mummy: :chaoswarrior:
3BP = :gargoyle:


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog.
User avatar
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1220
Joined: December 8th, 2013, 11:12 am
Location: UK
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Ninja Turtles "sewer-crawler" on Kickstarter

Postby Goblin-King » February 8th, 2016, 3:47 pm

My previous rant was unwarranted apparently...

It's the sculpts that are KS exclusive. They will be available at retail sometime along the line with different sculpts, but same rules and mechanics.
That's okay by me.
But boy did they do a piss poor job of stating this! :D


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Ninja Turtles "sewer-crawler" on Kickstarter

Postby QorDaq » February 8th, 2016, 3:57 pm

Goblin-King wrote:My previous rant was unwarranted apparently...

It's the sculpts that are KS exclusive. They will be available at retail sometime along the line with different sculpts, but same rules and mechanics.
That's okay by me.
But boy did they do a piss poor job of stating this! :D


I was wondering how you'd take the latest news for the KS exclusive SG; Splinter...*Grin*... I still have found nothing that suggests these will be available at retail in alternate sculpts, (Other than the alternate turtles that is), would you mind referencing that? Might help some of my friends who are on the fence for the same reasons you mentioned earlier.

maj!

Edit: Scratch that, just saw the significant comment in the Splinter update (#10) as quoted below.

Kickstarter wrote:Because it's a FAQ: These Kickstarter heroes will one day see retail in some form. But you're getting them WELL AHEAD of the rest of the world, and they will remain exclusive miniature sculpts. This game has years of expansions planned, but backing the Kickstarter gets you exclusive content well ahead of the retail market.


- Q
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
User avatar
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 616
Joined: March 4th, 2014, 6:09 am
Location: U.S.
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Ninja Turtles "sewer-crawler" on Kickstarter

Postby lucasdp » February 8th, 2016, 4:49 pm

They posted the gameplay video too, and I think it looks like it will be easy to pick up.
I think I'm in, gang, and I'm going for the Works. |_P


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 224
Joined: September 21st, 2015, 1:42 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Ninja Turtles "sewer-crawler" on Kickstarter

Postby QorDaq » February 8th, 2016, 5:06 pm

lucasdp wrote:They posted the gameplay video too, and I think it looks like it will be easy to pick up.
I think I'm in, gang, and I'm going for the Works. |_P


I noticed that as well. I am curious to start seeing some of the other tiles, as all we have seen so far are street tiles (Which are nice and can be used for many other things), but I am interested in seeing how the other tiles look.

The first mission, (I assume it's the tutorial mission anyway), is very reminiscent of a side-scrolling video game level (if reversed of the typical right to left scroll). Which, could be purely circumstantial and designed for simplicity in teaching the game. However, if a video game feel persists in later missions it could be a clever bit of nostalgia in the context of 80's era fighting games, which TMNT is a perfect theme for.

Then again, I could be reading WAY too much into that...*Chuckle*...
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
User avatar
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 616
Joined: March 4th, 2014, 6:09 am
Location: U.S.
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Ninja Turtles "sewer-crawler" on Kickstarter

Postby Goblin-King » February 8th, 2016, 5:42 pm

QorDaq wrote:Edit: Scratch that, just saw the significant comment in the Splinter update (#10) as quoted below.

Kickstarter wrote:Because it's a FAQ: These Kickstarter heroes will one day see retail in some form. But you're getting them WELL AHEAD of the rest of the world, and they will remain exclusive miniature sculpts. This game has years of expansions planned, but backing the Kickstarter gets you exclusive content well ahead of the retail market.

Yeah, that's what I meant by doing a poor job in the communication sector.
Fill out the actual freaking FAQ in the bottom! It's there for a reason! Don't make people dig out vital information.
And stop calling them KS exclusive - Call them KS exclusive sculpts or something.

Man... heads up their asses! :roll:

It's not exactly the best KS I've ever seen.
"The works" is also such a strange beast right now. $60 for 5 minis, an alternative box and a lithography?
That's not even close to worth it's value in my opinion. Especially because I don't care about the box or lithography. In fact I like the basic box better.
That leaves me with 5 minis compared to the 25 from the basic box.
Quick math. The works = $12 per mini
Base box = $3,6 per mini
They damn well better start adding a whole lot of stuff to that box to justify that price tag!


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Ninja Turtles "sewer-crawler" on Kickstarter

Postby QorDaq » February 8th, 2016, 6:02 pm

Yeah, where the "Works" pledge goes will help inform my final decision...(Possibly to include whether or not I continue to back at all)...

And really, even the four turtles being added to the Works don't really count (to me) as extra minis, since they are just alt sculpts of existing base box content. Long term, I want to see more value in the top-tier investment.

Conceptually, however, the very idea of a TMNT dungeon-crawler still has me hyped.
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
User avatar
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 616
Joined: March 4th, 2014, 6:09 am
Location: U.S.
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Ninja Turtles "sewer-crawler" on Kickstarter

Postby lucasdp » February 8th, 2016, 6:09 pm

We're less than 8 grand away from getting Splinter in the Works package! So, there's that.
I agree, I don't care too much about the lithograph or the box, but I really want those old-school Turtles minis. Those are the "real" Turtles, in my opinion, or at least the ones I grew up with. :lol: Once they announced Splinter was for the Works package only, that pretty much sealed it for me.
Is it still a somewhat expensive, possibly overpriced game? Yes. But I've got a little tax return money, and this is also the first KS I've backed, so I'm enjoying that excitement as well.
I can certainly understand anyone's hesitation, but I decided to go for it. |_P


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 224
Joined: September 21st, 2015, 1:42 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Ninja Turtles "sewer-crawler" on Kickstarter

Postby lucasdp » February 8th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Ooh! Hey GK, mousers are on the horizon for the Works edition! ;)


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 224
Joined: September 21st, 2015, 1:42 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Market

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests