• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroScribe Icon Packs

Discuss Icons for use on Cards and Quest Maps.

Re: HeroScribe Icon Packs

Postby tasoe » December 23rd, 2012, 7:30 pm

Hello to this thread. I salute the Heroscribe program and its creators as well as every creator of every single new icon.
I just started using this program to better write my custom quests and I found it extremely easy to use.
However, I ran across some issues when trying to add new icon packs that I downloaded. I'll try to explain it as best as I can.
When I added just one icon pack, I had no problem. I copied all the files to their perspective folders, copied the objects html and xml, ran the program and found the new icons perfectly.
But when I downloaded the magnum icon pack that contains everything, copied all the files, copied the 4 files (2 objects, readme and heroscribe jar), then tried to run the program, it couldn't start, stating that it's missing the Advanced HeroQuest board. I should also mention that I had to do some overwriting here and there when copying the icon files. When I did all the same but without overwriting but renaming every file, I didn't get the missing icon message but still the program wouldn't start, just got stuck to the HeroScribe opening page.
I then tried to individually add some icon packs. For one icon pack, I could get it to work, but for 2 of them I had issues. I copied the second pack but didn't copy its objects xml/html so it didn't work. Then I copied those files and the new icons appeared, but those of the previous pack disappeared.

I'm mostly adhering to Patroclus to sort it out for me and explain everything in Greek through a private message.
In fact if you could come to my house and fix it for me that would be best!

But I guess if anyone can help out I'd be much obliged to them.
My goal is to work HeroScribe, with all available icons installed at all times.


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 697
Joined: September 22nd, 2011, 1:05 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HeroScribe Icon Packs

Postby LordChaosX » December 23rd, 2012, 9:04 pm

I can relate to the issue tasoe is having. I too am trying to install that large all-in-one icon pack and after copying everything over all it does is stay at that Heroscribe screen that appears on start up, and won't go beyond that no matter how long I leave it. Anyone have any advice on what I possibly have done wrong?
User avatar
LordChaosX

Goblin
Goblin
 
Posts: 17
Joined: October 24th, 2010, 1:37 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Re: HeroScribe Icon Packs

Postby drathe » December 23rd, 2012, 11:57 pm

Derfel Link wrote:...the reason why it is not starting up may be due to the size of ram Java is allowed to run on your machine. You might want to try this: in the HeroScribe folder, create a file named HeroScribe.bat, then edit it with Notepad (I threw that out and only use Notepad++) and save it with this line (feel free to tweak the MB Java shall handle, I opted for 2GB when helping another user with the same -I think- issue):

Code: Select all
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java" -Xms2048M -Xmx2048M -jar "C:\Program Files\HeroScribe\HeroScribe.jar"

Of course, first path should lead to the current java.exe folder and second one to the SemiModular HeroScribe.jar folder.
Then run HeroScribe by double clicking HeroScribe.bat and let me know if that works to you.


I'm using much less than the 2048MB indicated in the code block. Don't remember exactly what. I'll check next time I'm on my home PC.
Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper
 
Posts: 2935
Images: 103
Joined: August 16th, 2008, 2:55 pm
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: HeroScribe Icon Packs

Postby tasoe » December 24th, 2012, 7:25 am

Thanks drathe, I got it to work! I had to put 1024 instead of 2048 in the text though.
Damn, it made me feel like the world's greatest hacker.


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 697
Joined: September 22nd, 2011, 1:05 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: HeroScribe Icon Packs

Postby LordChaosX » December 24th, 2012, 9:34 pm

Glad to see that worked for tasoe, though I tried the same thing and still no luck... :(
User avatar
LordChaosX

Goblin
Goblin
 
Posts: 17
Joined: October 24th, 2010, 1:37 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Re: HeroScribe Icon Packs

Postby Patroclus » December 25th, 2012, 3:57 am

Me too, I still have the same problem. With 4GB ram and win7 32bit on my laptop, and I can’t run it with the full pack. I believe there is a memory issue. Maybe it loads all the images in the memory even if you don’t use it.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 658
Images: 19
Joined: January 31st, 2011, 9:07 am
Location: Athens, Greece
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: HeroScribe Icon Packs

Postby LordChaosX » December 25th, 2012, 5:30 pm

Patroclus wrote:Me too, I still have the same problem. With 4GB ram and win7 32bit on my laptop, and I can’t run it with the full pack. I believe there is a memory issue. Maybe it loads all the images in the memory even if you don’t use it.


Wow, if you got 4GB ram and are having no luck then I know I have no chance of getting it to work at this point with my measly 2GB ram...
User avatar
LordChaosX

Goblin
Goblin
 
Posts: 17
Joined: October 24th, 2010, 1:37 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Re: HeroScribe Icon Packs

Postby tasoe » December 25th, 2012, 6:07 pm

LordChaosX wrote:
Patroclus wrote:Me too, I still have the same problem. With 4GB ram and win7 32bit on my laptop, and I can’t run it with the full pack. I believe there is a memory issue. Maybe it loads all the images in the memory even if you don’t use it.


Wow, if you got 4GB ram and are having no luck then I know I have no chance of getting it to work at this point with my measly 2GB ram...

I also got 2GB ram. It works fine for me with the .bat file.
It has to be something else.


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 697
Joined: September 22nd, 2011, 1:05 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: HeroScribe Icon Packs

Postby LordChaosX » December 26th, 2012, 7:04 pm

tasoe wrote:I also got 2GB ram. It works fine for me with the .bat file.
It has to be something else.


It must be...
User avatar
LordChaosX

Goblin
Goblin
 
Posts: 17
Joined: October 24th, 2010, 1:37 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Re: HeroScribe Icon Packs

Postby Sjeng » January 8th, 2013, 10:41 am

Hey Derfel, do you also have the Egyptian map in your program?
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Icons

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests