by Kurgan » October 23rd, 2025, 4:40 pm
I think we've got enough dice, and enough character sheets, so here is my reaction:
"Likes"
1 - Retaining most of the aesthetic of the original.
2 - multi-colors for mercenaries makes visually identifying which belong with which hero easier, also if you want to have some of them as evil characters. (also appreciate they gave us the opposite sex versions of the ones they swapped in Frozen Horror!)
3- This is a "big box" expansion, feels packed with content, much like we got with ATOH, retaining the original and ADDING to it.
4- New content feels like it fits... it's either stuff we were specifically asking for, or fits within the context of classic HeroQuest
5- Excited to see the new mechanics "Boons of Heroism," town tile.
6- Female wizard was expected, and you could say she looks "boring" or "plain" but I appreciate that her aesthetic is based on the 1989 art, even more so than the First Light Elf was a tribute to the old pose.
"Whines"
1 - "only" 12 mercenaries. I know the heroes can hire up to 16 in the rules though only 12 "bodies" were available. The game gets easier (as long as they have gold, I presume the prices are increased from the original which were very low and on top of that you got discounts) with more mercs of course. But you COULD add the Frozen Horror mercs to compliment the available hiring pool though if you just take one each of the gray mercs to add and retain the color divisions.
2 - No Grawshak! That is, unless he does appear and they use say, the Dread Sorcerer or Orc with the "Large Sword" to represent him. Goofy as many found the original miniature, an Orc wizard is still something we don't have in modern HQ. I guess we do have his daughter, who looks cool, but she's a totally different character (though her precise powers are unknown, Dread on the Horizon touts her as being more powerful... so maybe this highlights some alterations to the mechanics of the character this time around?).
3 - Didn't notice this one at first, but despite this being the Wizard themed pack, the Wizard hero isn't featured on the front cover (nor is the Dwarf for that matter). Something of an oversight. So unless there's an important story reason why during the final showdown there's only the Barbarian, Elf, and a group of mercenaries left, this was a little disappointing. Don't judge a game by its cover right... but having those other heroes even in the background would give it that extra boost to really sell it to the public (granted, it's still a cool cover, and very good rendition of the original in the new format). Wonder who the artist was for this one?
4 - Have to wait till March 1st! Granted, for all we know this means we'll be able to get it "early" in February but I had really hoped we could get it still this year. Won't be under your Christmas tree, but it might be next to your Valentine's Day candy!
Concerns:
I see the Mercs are bulked up to be like their FH counterparts. What about the prices and availability? What limitations will be placed on them this time? In the original WOM they were needed (I take it), they were very cheap but also very fragile. With increased monster body points in the rest of the quest, they will need to pass muster.
What is this "Artificer" and how will she fit into the story? If it's simply a "fifth wizard" who can say, summon golems and mimics in one or more of the new quests, that's fine I guess. Could be an interesting hero conversion too, potentially. Sounds like it will be possible to hire monster mercenaries (maybe they will be the "Fragile" ones or perhaps they can "turn" on the heroes in unlucky circumstances, have to be paid in meat or something, who knows!) so this could be interesting.
People mentioned the Fire Burst Traps aren't being shown. I'm guessing they're on the reverse side of the "skull" tiles (or at least a few of them).
What about the Hero Spells, have they been buffed at all? Then again if they are "as is" from 1991 (I keep wanting to say WOM is 1992, I guess I'm thinking of the Wizard Quest Pack in my mind... which probably would have been 1993 had it been finished and released!), maybe they will adjust the requirements for the spells (instead of three of them just replacing 3 of the elemental).
Wonder what the hold-up is for these four months?
Last edited by
Kurgan on October 24th, 2025, 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rewards:
