• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hello from Cambridgeshire

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

Hello from Cambridgeshire

Postby nedius » May 2nd, 2012, 4:05 pm

Hi there!

I've just treated my self to a copy of Hero Quest, so I can relive my childhood!

Got a set in excellent condition (only one not very important bit of card missing and only two very minor bits of easily ignored damage to furniture) from ebay and am looking forward to giving the quests a run once again! Just got to talk my friends into playing it!

It was such an odd experience opening it! So many memories from however many years ago it was now when I first got it. I was so excited, my wife laughed at me!

Anyway, have browsed the main site and it has very much got my enthusiasm going. Hope to be able to get some games in before long. Now I just have to decide whether to paint my figures or not... :)

Nedius
User avatar
nedius

Goblin
Goblin
 
Posts: 18
Joined: May 2nd, 2012, 3:42 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Hello from Cambridgeshire

Postby tasoe » May 2nd, 2012, 5:40 pm

Welcome to the community!

Have fun reliving your childhood memories.

Can't say I understand your dilemma. Of course you'll paint the miniatures!
It doubles (at least) the fun of the game!


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 697
Joined: September 22nd, 2011, 1:05 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Hello from Cambridgeshire

Postby el_flesh » May 2nd, 2012, 10:04 pm

The only reason NOT to paint is the figs would be if you were utterly horrible at it. In that case, HIRE some artist kid to do them for you!
I basically bartered service for painting, because my painting would be an utter disaster.

Just look around and see the amazing paint jobs done by experienced painters here. Then get someone to do them for you!

One word of advice: ensure they remove the mould lines from the figs before painting them!
If you can't find anyone, go to a model shop - they probably have ppl willing to do it there!
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1315
Images: 4
Joined: April 25th, 2010, 4:38 pm
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Hello from Cambridgeshire

Postby cynthialee » May 3rd, 2012, 10:46 am

I payed my sweety off with extra experiance points for one character for each mini painted. (RPG, not HQ but the mini's cross over well)
It worked for about 2 months before burnout set in and I stoped getting mini's painted for EXP.
I still have a few hundred HQ mini's that havent been painted.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Hello from Cambridgeshire

Postby Sjeng » May 3rd, 2012, 1:37 pm

cynthialee wrote:I payed my sweety off with extra experiance points for one character for each mini painted. (RPG, not HQ but the mini's cross over well)
It worked for about 2 months before burnout set in and I stoped getting mini's painted for EXP.
I still have a few hundred HQ mini's that havent been painted.

hahahaha, that's so clever xD
Fortunately, I like painting mini's myself. It relaxes me. Unfortunately, it's time I lack :(
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Hello from Cambridgeshire

Postby nedius » May 3rd, 2012, 1:57 pm

Hi there,

Modelling is my poison, painting the chore! Trying to think about how to do more modelling with the hero quest stuff. Either entirely new miniatures (which seems a shame) or converting. Which also seems a shame. I almost feel I need to buy another set I can convert whilst maintaining the origional set.

Part of me just rebels against the idea of 'damaging' such long OOP miniatures...
User avatar
nedius

Goblin
Goblin
 
Posts: 18
Joined: May 2nd, 2012, 3:42 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Hello from Cambridgeshire

Postby el_flesh » May 3rd, 2012, 8:59 pm

hey with the "Bitch King" expansion set, I got more skellies than I needed so some of them got modded. And man - the results are always amazing when a good modeller mods the minis!
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1315
Images: 4
Joined: April 25th, 2010, 4:38 pm
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Hello from Cambridgeshire

Postby nedius » May 10th, 2012, 2:51 pm

Just got an ebay 'Kellar's Keep', so got a few more orks and goblins etc. Will have to play around with them, see what I can model.

Are there rules for monsters to have varying equipment? Goblins with shields, for example?
User avatar
nedius

Goblin
Goblin
 
Posts: 18
Joined: May 2nd, 2012, 3:42 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Hello from Cambridgeshire

Postby drathe » May 10th, 2012, 3:14 pm

nedius wrote:Are there rules for monsters to have varying equipment? Goblins with shields, for example?

Nothing official. Once in a while a quest note will state a monster has a crossbow, or longsword allowing them ranged or diagonal attack. Go ahead and give a goblin a shield, allowing an additional defend die.
Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper
 
Posts: 2935
Images: 103
Joined: August 16th, 2008, 2:55 pm
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Hello from Cambridgeshire

Postby cynthialee » May 10th, 2012, 6:44 pm

nedius wrote:Just got an ebay 'Kellar's Keep', so got a few more orks and goblins etc. Will have to play around with them, see what I can model.

Are there rules for monsters to have varying equipment? Goblins with shields, for example?

Wanna have some real fun... equip a few goblins with cross bows. Gun and run tactics can be brutal with the fast moving goblin.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member


Return to Ye Olde Lobby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests