• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack] [14 Quests] - WAAAGH!!!

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [12 Quests] - WAAAGH!!!

Postby Thrawn » March 17th, 2012, 2:58 am

Just over half of the quests transcribed and converted...2am...I'm going to sleep. I doubt I'll get through all 5 other quests tomorrow since I'll be out much of the day, but I might be done by the end of the weekend.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 212
Joined: February 9th, 2012, 1:39 am
Location: Bartlett, TN, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [12 Quests] - WAAAGH!!!

Postby Thrawn » March 18th, 2012, 1:30 am

Stopping by 12:30 tonight. 3/4 of the quests are up. I should be able to get the last three up tomorrow.

Some of the creatures I cut from the quests to simplify more:
Squig Riders
Wolf Riders
Spider Riders
Savage Orcs
Blackorcs
Bats
Rats

I don't think the removal of these creatures hurts the integrity of the quests too much. I kept the creatures in this version that I thought were most necessary for the basic designs of the quests.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 212
Joined: February 9th, 2012, 1:39 am
Location: Bartlett, TN, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [12 Quests] - WAAAGH!!!

Postby Thrawn » March 19th, 2012, 12:25 am

My two year old talked me into taking him to the park, and then my wife talked me into taking her to dinner, so didn't finish the last, although the maps for 10 and 12 are pretty much done. Had to come up with a replacement for another custom tile for quest 10 that plays a major part in the quest (the finale of the battle). I'm likely going to need to remake and post that tile if we are going to put this all in a PDF. So a running tally so far:

3) Bridge over the river, and river staircase tiles.
6) Possible "Inn" tiles to improve this quest.
7) Volcano mouth tile
8) Might need Catapult tiles for those who don't have catapults
10) Cliff/Rockpile tiles

There are a ton more I originally used in these quests, but I think reducing down to the tiles that have real impact, this is the list.

As far as finishing up, will be this week.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 212
Joined: February 9th, 2012, 1:39 am
Location: Bartlett, TN, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [12 Quests] - WAAAGH!!!

Postby Thrawn » March 21st, 2012, 3:21 am

Quest 10 is up. 2 to go. The last two are a two part manhunt into the Iron Rock to finally take out Warlord Gorefist. Uses lots of elements from previous quests, and some more traps and such. I'd written these after I bought the marvel issue with new hazards, so some traps incorporated from there.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 212
Joined: February 9th, 2012, 1:39 am
Location: Bartlett, TN, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [12 Quests] - WAAAGH!!!

Postby Phoenix » March 23rd, 2012, 10:22 pm

If you're interested in a compact pdf version... Send the .xml to me and a .doc file with all the notes and errata. As I posted elsewhere, I'm in the middle of several projects atm, including a translation project, but always love adding more quests to my plate...
Image


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper
 
Posts: 469
Images: 0
Joined: August 18th, 2008, 7:54 am
Location: TC, Indiana
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [12 Quests] - WAAAGH!!!

Postby Thrawn » March 23rd, 2012, 11:06 pm

I've been formatting a PDF (up to quest 7 in it so far, along with special rules, monster icon key, opening intro, etc.)

I'd love to get your opinion on how I'm going about formatting it, and this of course doesn't preclude having you do a pdf as well.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 212
Joined: February 9th, 2012, 1:39 am
Location: Bartlett, TN, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [12 Quests] - WAAAGH!!!

Postby Thrawn » March 27th, 2012, 11:12 pm

A few updates:

1) Ran a playtest of the first 3 quests this weekend. (I'll get a thread started in Saturday Night HQ with the pics.)
A. I was a little disappointed in the difficulty of the first two quests. I'm adding a few more goblins to both, and a couple traps to the 2nd quest. Both are supposed to be easy quests, but they were a little too easy in my opinion. Numbers told me this would be the case. The playtest backed that up.
B. Other than that, I like how they played. I was happier with the treasure level than with the standard quests, although the party still managed to pull down 3 helmets and a shield by the end of quest 3. The wizard was pretty happy with having 2 daggers to throw during quest 2, and a staff in quest 3.

2) I may add two additional quests in. I have concepts for them that fit the plotline. (One will require a change to an existing quest.) That would make the quest pack the same size as the original 14 quest pack.

3) Phoenix sent me a sample formatting the first quest with his template. It looks great. I'm not going to do my own PDF, doesn't make sense to when his is so much better, and consistent with the other quests on this site and his site. Once I finish playtesting through the full set, and get tiles and such finished.

4) With point 3 said... any artists interested in taking on a cover art orc projects? I actually have a contact at the North American GW HQ that I might check and see if he's interested. (It's nice being in the same town as HQ, but it was interesting to find out a friend from school who i haven't talked to in 15 years now works there.)

5) Once WAAAGH! is over, I have 4 quests packs at the concept stage. I'm only going to likely try and develop 3 of them (2 are undead related), and only if I have enough interesting quests to fill each of them. WAAAGH! was written a long time ago, so this one was pretty easy, since it was mostly updating and simplifying a lot of it. The others would be more from scratch, although I have general storylines for the overall packs. We'll see how this one goes first.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 212
Joined: February 9th, 2012, 1:39 am
Location: Bartlett, TN, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [12 Quests] - WAAAGH!!!

Postby LordZeke » March 27th, 2012, 11:32 pm

sounds like a good plan!


Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
LordZeke

Gargoyle
Gargoyle
 
Posts: 133
Images: 1
Joined: July 4th, 2010, 7:52 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [12 Quests] - WAAAGH!!!

Postby Sjeng » March 28th, 2012, 6:58 am

I thought this would make a nice cover:

Image

or perhaps this one:

Image
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [12 Quests] - WAAAGH!!!

Postby Phoenix » March 28th, 2012, 12:58 pm

yes, but to whom do they belong?


...and for what it's worth, I like the first one.
Image


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper
 
Posts: 469
Images: 0
Joined: August 18th, 2008, 7:54 am
Location: TC, Indiana
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Quests and Quest Packs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron