• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Old vs. 2021 version: cards

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Old vs. 2021 version: cards

Postby SirRick » July 24th, 2022, 10:17 am

TheLastChaosWarrior wrote:
SirRick wrote:
Jalapenotrellis wrote:For clarification, the fire spell courage in the new one is one attack still, right? Or is endless attacks as long as you can see a monster? Mirror Image in the elf quest pack is amazing because it lasts as long as you can see.

The Courage spell should last as long as the hero can see a monster, meaning they get the buff for multiple attacks. It’s a great spell, but with the cramped fighting conditions of the game, usually it doesn’t last for more than a couple turns (either because all the monsters are dead, or another hero ends his/her movement in a bad spot). I would think the spell’s value increases greatly in the late quest packs, where the monsters have extreme bp bloat.

Also the Bracers take the place of body armor, so it does not stack with Chain Mail or Plate Mail.

Why would Bracers stop a Hero wearing body armour when they are worn on the forearms?

The card specifically states the Bracers can be combined with Helmet and/or Shield, it does not say it can be combined with Chain Mail and Plate Mail. It’s just a slightly more expensive version of Chain Mail for characters who can’t wear heavy or metal armor (Wizard, Druid, Warlock). The Bard will likely use it as well.

There is nothing physically stopping a hero from wearing both, it’s just that it doesn’t stack. Otherwise you could argue that a hero can wear chain mail underneath plate mail, and wear bracers combined with a helmet and shield for a total of 8 defend dice, or 9 if you choose to use have one shield in each hand.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » July 24th, 2022, 10:24 am

I admit I am most familiar with the US version I grew up with, somewhat the UK 1st, 2nd and Japanese editions. I would be very interested to hear all these differences in the German version! I am fascinated by edition differences and localizations!

In the UK (and 2021 remake) versions, the Bracers are specifically body armor. The original idea was (in the 2nd EU edition) to give the Wizard an option for armor (although he could wear Borin's Armor!). Bracers & Cloak of Protection were specifically to give him a defensive boost. The NA edition replaced the latter with the Wizard's Cloak artifact and removed Bracers. The remake added Bracers back with a higher price tag and made it wearable by any hero.

So sounds like the German version made the Fire attacks stronger, and the Bracers increased the Wizard's attack ability instead? Again, very interested to hear any more differences like that!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby SirRick » July 24th, 2022, 11:00 am

Leander wrote:Don't bracers give the wizard +1 attack die? My old German version's card reads this.

By the way, how strong can the wizard become in the new base game? Cloak of protection -> one defense extra...but attack-wise? Can you find an item with 2 attack dice?

The Wizard at this point in the game can achieve:
2 attack dice using the Wizard’s Staff or the Hand Axe (this is probably an oversight, but many people here, including myself, gleefully allow the wizard to use it).
4 defend dice using the Bracers and the Wizard’s Cloak.

In the original NA version the wizard could only get 2 attack and 3 defend using artifacts. The only weapons the wizard could buy were limited to only 1 attack die (the Dagger and the Staff). So it’s nice to see the Wizard get a little boost in the new version of the game.

Rewards:
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » July 24th, 2022, 12:09 pm

He gets boosted a lot (potentially) in the Prophecy of Telor. It's a shame that quest book was a Mythic exclusive!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby SirRick » July 24th, 2022, 1:22 pm

Kurgan wrote:He gets boosted a lot (potentially) in the Prophecy of Telor. It's a shame that quest book was a Mythic exclusive!

Lol, when my group started playing The Prophecy of Telor, my friend did not read over the starting notes carefully enough. He did mention the Wizard was supposed to have the Talisman of Lore, but we were playing a group with a Barbarian, Elf, Bard, and Warlock (all new heroes with only starting equipment). The Bard ended up with the Talisman, but was slain in the first quest. We were beaten so badly by wandering monsters we had to retreat and start the quest a second time.

Again, because my friend playing Zargon did not read the special rules correctly, we didn’t know that the heroes don’t die at zero bp and can be healed later. As a result, we looted the Bard and left him for dead without realizing our mistake. The Elf got the rapier, the Druid (who replaced the Bard on our 2nd attempt) got a shiny new short sword, and my Barbarian swiped the Talisman. The Warlock was given all the gold we found in exchange.

If this book really powers up the Wizard, it might be comical to continue playing with the Barbarian holding the Talisman instead to see what happens. I really hope we get a chance to continue that quest pack.

Rewards:
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TheLastChaosWarrior » July 24th, 2022, 1:44 pm

In the new version Wizard is pretty much the same as old.
Start as Attack 1, Defend 2 Body 4, Mind 6
Staff then allows diagonal attack of 1 die (the old English version has this at 2 dice, but this version didn't have a Wizards Staff, which allows 2 dice).
New version then has a Wizards Staff, which allows diagonal attacks of 2 dice.
Old version had two equipment cards for bracers and wizards cloak giving an additional 2 defense dice (1each).
The first English old version had these missing, so Wiz was always limited to 2 defense dice, only the second edition had these two items added.
The new version has both these items (Bracers now seem to be able to be bought by all Hero's?),and wizards cloak is now an artifact and not equipment.
TheLastChaosWarrior

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby TheLastChaosWarrior » July 24th, 2022, 2:04 pm

I just realised that the spear is missing from the equipment cards as well!
TheLastChaosWarrior

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby Leander » July 24th, 2022, 5:23 pm

In the German Master Edition, bracers add one attack die to the wizard...might be one of many errors.

Just read that you can find a robe and a staff in the base quests...for +1 defense and +1 offense (giving the wizard 2 attack dice).
My music projects: SeelenPuls.at, Grummelgnom.at
Leander

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: Deutsch
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » July 24th, 2022, 6:38 pm

1989 UK version: Wizard can have staff 2 ATT, no bracers, no cloak, (Rock Skin +2 DEF)
1990 UK version: Wizard can have staff 2 ATT, bracers +1 DEF, cloak +1 DEF, (Rock Skin +2 DEF)
1992 US version: Wizard can have staff (1 ATT, Diagonally), Wizard's Staff (2 ATT+diagonally), no bracers, cloak +1 DEF, dagger, (Rock Skin +1 DEF, not +2)
2020 release: Wizard can have all the stuff from the 1992 and +Bracers. Hand Axe is a mistake.
In the 1990 version the bracers were a Wizard only item.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » July 25th, 2022, 1:01 am

So in the German edition the bracers have those pop-out assassin's blades I bet! ;)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext