• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Rogar's Hall

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Rogar's Hall

Postby Oftkilted » Sunday October 25th, 2020 11:14pm

Assuming that the desk you just backed up against wasn’t a Mimic. Or that it didn’t have a ranged weapon. Or a weapon with reach. And that you managed to protect the appropriate hero, and they actually drew a wandering monster card when the hero had all of their adjacent blocks covered.

In the NA rules deck you shuffle the cards before a hero draws from the treasure deck (p.16) That’s actually explicitly stated. “IMPORTANT! The Treasure Cards must be shuffled before a Hero draws from the deck.”

While you might be able to “search in rooms and passages” there are no rules for being able to draw from the treasure deck for searches in Passages. You can only draw from the treasure deck from room searches. (I mentioned that in the Differences between EU and NA rules thread. Pits, however, are classified as rooms and could contain a secret door or treasure.

In the EU version you also loose all normal treasure pulled from the deck at the end of the quest. Which means your found potions expire.

While you can search from both sides in the EU version, I’d assume that if the door said you can’t find it except from a specific location that would apply.

Also ... Zargon doesn’t put out trap tiles when they search for traps in the NA edition. They just point to the tile with the trap.
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tuesday October 6th, 2020 2:04pm
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Rogar's Hall

Postby Kurgan » Sunday October 25th, 2020 11:53pm

Thanks Oftkilted... but No Mimics in Hero Quest (unless you're using the "Evil Wizard Deck", which I am)... (very rare) monster with a ranged weapon can't shoot through the other Heroes to reach you anyway unless you left a diagonal opening, but I'm not aware of any Wandering Monsters that would have ranged attacks in any of the Quest packs, much less the game system.

We always read it meaning "be sure you shuffle before you play, dummy!" (as opposed to every time, oops!)

Yeah, I admitted that you can only search corridors for Treasure in the Premiere edition rules, which I freely cribbed into my own house rules. ;)

In the EU version you also loose all normal treasure pulled from the deck at the end of the quest. Which means your found potions expire.

That part I missed. Good catch! Actually I'm not sure I agree with that interpretation. I read it as meaning you write it down, but don't hang onto the card (not that you have to "use it or lose it" by the end of the Quest).

Well yeah, if the Quest notes say something specific, you go with that. There are always exceptions...

Also ... Zargon doesn’t put out trap tiles when they search for traps in the NA edition. They just point to the tile with the trap.

If you don't do it though, wouldn't that be a little weird? I'll have to re-read that section in the different versions.
Last edited by Kurgan on Monday October 26th, 2020 1:25pm, edited 2 times in total.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Kurgan

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2379
Images: 76
Joined: Saturday February 23rd, 2019 7:08pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Rogar's Hall

Postby j_dean80 » Monday October 26th, 2020 1:55am

It’s up to the Heroes to remember which squares you pointed to. I’ve had several times where they forgot and either stepped on a trap or had to use another search. It’s a nice bonus for Zargon.
Blood - Good to the last drop


Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
j_dean80

Crossbowman
Crossbowman
 
Posts: 1684
Images: 30
Joined: Tuesday December 6th, 2016 2:48pm
Location: Illinois, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Rogar's Hall

Postby Orc26 » Monday October 26th, 2020 12:36pm

General rule: You can find secret doors by searching, but not with monsters
Specific rule: Pixie can find secret doors (and traps) that you can see regardless of monsters
Most specific rule: Special secret door can only be found from the hallway.

Following the specific beats general rule of thumb from some other game system (which one eludes me at the moment); the Pixie cannot find the secret door except if the druid can see it from the hallway side of the wall.
Orc26

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Wednesday September 23rd, 2020 2:40pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Re: Rogar's Hall

Postby Kurgan » Tuesday October 27th, 2020 2:50pm

Off topic, but I see by my status that I'm now officially an Ogre!

Shout to my fellow monsters... :goblin: :orc: :fimir: :skeleton: :zombie: :mummy: :chaoswarrior: :gargoyle: |_P

Hire me in your next quest for 200 gold coins.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Kurgan

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2379
Images: 76
Joined: Saturday February 23rd, 2019 7:08pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Rogar's Hall

Postby bigmiked43 » Tuesday October 27th, 2020 7:31pm

Kurgan wrote:Hire me in your next quest for 200 gold coins.
Do you have 10 body points? :lol:
Drink this brown, frothy liquid
User avatar
bigmiked43

Skeleton
Skeleton
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Saturday October 3rd, 2020 7:12pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Re: Rogar's Hall

Postby Kurgan » Tuesday October 27th, 2020 8:51pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurgan on Wednesday January 20th, 2021 11:37pm, edited 2 times in total.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Kurgan

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2379
Images: 76
Joined: Saturday February 23rd, 2019 7:08pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Rogar's Hall

Postby Davane » Sunday November 15th, 2020 2:43pm

I played through Rogar's Hall, and found it somewhat lacking. I am not sure what the designers had in mind when they created it...

The most obvious way through Rogar's Hall is that the Heroes will find the chest guarded by Abominations or by the Dread Warriors first, and then press onwards to face the Gargoyle. The passage leading to secret door G is largely irrelevant, as most players will conclude that it's a quick way back to the Stairs, and it's likely that the players will backtrack to where they fought the Skeletons and continue exploring to find the final chest. The players will then probably find the secret door from the final chest room and return to the stairs.

Given the choices of direction in the quest, The characters are most likely to encounter the Abominations first, since there's two routes leading to them compared to the one route to the Dread Warriors. You could easily remove the entire route with the Orcs from the left of the middle room (with the Stairway) to even out the chances, and provide minimal changes to the quest. Mathematically, assuming 50/50 chances at decision points, the chance to reach the Abominations first is 75%, and the chance to reach the Dread Warriors first is a mere 25%.

Personally, the biggest fix I would recommend for the quest is to swap the doors leading out of rooms D containing the Abominations and Dread Warriors. If the obvious door is leading to the guards, whilst the secret door is leading to the corridor, there's a greater chance that the party will backtrack to reach the second chest, before realising that they need to search for a secret door to find the third chest and the Gargoyle, making it more likely that the party will continue through corridor G.

Image
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
User avatar
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Wednesday January 8th, 2020 8:05am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Previous

Return to Game Systems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest